Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting finds. i have tried searching the web for any new stories or active sites that post this sort of information. nothing.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Sarah I just got off the phone with arealtor in the moab area, She will be emailing me a copy of the letter in question
      Yes there is a letter, yes people signed it
      the letter appears to be a regulatory letter asking for control, How much I can not answer till I see the letter,
      She states that the wording on the letter never states anti access, but states controlled access.
      She also states that the business's that are involved are
      1 realing from the reaction
      2 state that the did not know what thay were signing and it looked like a letter to get the mondo 4xers gone, not the nice ones
      and some agreed over the phone to say they agreed.

a contact from a 4x club in the area, states he feels this is the "sandal crowd" behind it all.

As of right now, from What i get, people in Moab have seen the letter, some have agreed and now state they didn't know what they were signing, and that they wish the issue would go away.

I can see how a org such as the " Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance" whom several feel is behind this could twist something into looking good to get signatures, I can also ask, Why would you sign a regulatory letter if you did not believe in it.

So as it looks now, I have one No, One yes we have the letter, I will get you a copy, we feel like we are being targeted and do not want it to hurt us, One, let me give you another name to call, who isn't in. and a bunch of scared business owners who are afraid to talk about something they signed or agreed to weather they were tricked or not.

If I get the fax with the letter I will scan and post it.
      I am tryig to get to the bottom of this.
      censored for having an opinion

Comment

I have found a letter, and here is the link

I cannot as of yet tell you if this is the letter signed in Moab as the letter has not been sent to me

http://www.suwa.org/library/Final_Huntsman_ad.pdf

Wicked find. For those that don't want to launch the PDF here is the letter:
        Dear Governor Huntsman:

We wish to congratulate you as you begin your tenure as Utah’s new governor, and to thank you for your expressions of commitment to Utah’s wild places at the recent Outdoor Retailers Convention.

We represent a broad spectrum of well over 100 business owners, conservation organizations and individuals who understand that preserving Utah’s spectacular landscapes is key to our quality of life. Our natural setting is central to our identity and economy. It is the reason we live here, play here, raise our families here and keep our businesses here.

Which is why we are deeply concerned about recent actions by the State of Utah that threaten this setting and so much of what we value about where we live.

-- Recently, the State of Utah joined a legal challenge to the creation of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.

-- The State of Utah is spending millions of dollars on lawsuits to turn phantom “roads” and jeep tracks into highway rights-of-way. This action could create a destructive and unnecessary spider web of roads through some of our wildest and most sensitive landscapes. This includes Canyonlands National Park, where lawyers for the state have filed a lawsuit claiming that a lush, remote streambed – essential to native plants and wildlife – is actually a state “highway”.

-- State lawyers have pressured federal land managers working on long-term planning for public lands to minimize protection of Utah’s most magnificent, undeveloped wild places.

Some of the special places at risk are Utah icons: National parks, like Zion and Canyonlands; Factory Butte; Cedar Mesa and its archaeological wonders; the Canyons of the Escalante; the Kaiparowits Plateau and the San Rafael Swell. We hope you recognize that these actions threaten some of the most magnificent landscapes on earth – landscapes which also contribute significantly to a vibrant economy in Utah. Taxpayer money should not be spent in efforts that undercut both the beauty and the long-term economic prosperity of our unique state. We urge you to use the authority of your office to protect these special places. Generations to follow will be grateful for the legacy of vast, unspoiled spaces and their enduring peace, solitude and grandeur.
        Last edited by sarah; 03-31-05, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I called my new realtor friend back,
          she says that that is basicly the letter
          I have still asked for her copy to be faxed

it was put to the people of Moab that they were going to get rid of the "wild 4x4 crowd with regulating the access to the area, and that they were to sign so that the numbers would show support for this. They state that the good 4x4ers they want around.
          Most feel that it was not what people are taking it as

they feel that it was meant to get rid of a destructive part of our sport, not the law abiding 4xers that frequate thier businesses, and that they are to suffer because of it. plus she states some were told it was a welcoming letter to the Govenor that delt with a few issues, but didn't investagate the issues.

My opinion from several hours of phone calss is:

Bad Judgement by Moab.

I feel that they should have investagated who was behind the letter, what it's fianl draft would say, and that these people already are fealling it's result.
          If any signed to block access, they regret it now,
          if they were tricked into signing, they really regret it.
          THat we should express our concerns, but this proves how Enviromental groups will use anything to get their agenda accross.

I made the origonal post

I also have spent several hours on the phone long distance to investagate.

I feel these people should not be punished for being fooled.
          and that they already are seeing what the power of one misjudgement can do.
          I would suggest talking politely to these people in Moab and doing business with them. I feel, from talking to several, they feel that they have been abused by tree huggers, or as they say in Utah, THe Sandal Crowd.

Comment

SIGNED:
            Action Consulting, Inc., Moab
            Al McLeod, Grand County Council (former member), Moab
            Alder Photo & Writing, Springdale
            Alta Lodge, Alta
            Angel Rock Real Estate, Moab
            Arrow Construction Company, Inc., Kamas
            Avalanche Properties, Park City
            Back of Beyond Books, Moab
            Black Diamond Equipment, Salt Lake City
            Bob Walker Art and Design, Moab
            Boulder Mountain Lodge, Boulder
            Braun Books, Cedar City
            Bruce Hucko Photography, Moab
            Buffalo Bistro, Glendale
            Business Management Services, Moab
            Caineville Mesa Market, Caineville
            Canyon Springs Consulting, Moab
            Canyon Voyages Adventure Company, Moab
            Canyonlands Field Institute, Moab
            Canyonlands Film Society, Moab
            Center Café, Moab
            Chris Noble Photography, Salt Lake City
            Chums, Inc., Hurricane
            Colorado Plateau River Guides, Moab
            Colorado River and Trail, Salt Lake City
            Cottonwood Condos, Moab
            Critter Corner, Kanab
            Data Wranglers, Inc., Moab
            Desert Digital Imaging, Moab
            Earthstudio, Moab
            Eddie McStiff’s, Moab
            Exquisite Container Gardens, Moab
            Fando Guest House, Moab
            Far Out Expeditions, Moab
            Far Out Expeditions, Bluff
            Flanigan’s Inn, Zion National Park, Springdale
            Footprints Inc., Moab
            Four Corners School of Outdoor Education, Monticello
            Four-Corners Archaeological Services, Moab
            Framed Image, Moab
            Fullam Fireworks, Moab
            Gaia Design, Moab
            Gearheads, Moab
            Gilberg Design, Kanab
            Glyphics Designer Gourds, Moab
            Grand Canyon Trust, Moab
            Grand County Law and Justice Center, Moab
            Great Basin Chiropractic, Salt Lake City
            Green River Boaters, Vernal
            Groovacious, Cedar City
            Healing Arts on Center, Moab
            Heartstone Massage, Moab
            High Desert Gardens, Moab
            Hike Moab, Moab
            Horse Mountain Woodwork and Plaster, Moab
            Hound Dog Sound, Moab
            Human Resource Development, Moab
            Independent Publishing Company, St. George
            Infinite Health – The Bridge, Moab
            Inskip Ink, Moab
            James Kay Photography, Salt Lake City
            Joe Sorensen Construction, Inc., Moab
            Joel Nystrom Construction, Moab
            Knave of Hearts Bakery, Moab
            Lisa Albert, LMT, Moab
            Living Rivers, Moab
            Lost River Company, Moab
            Lucky Dog Communications, Salt Lake City
            Main Street Music and Video, Moab
            Manzana Springs Farm, Moab
            Mean Bean Coffee House, Springdale
            Miguel’s Baja Grill, Moab
            Moab Chevron, Moab
            Moab Folk Festival, Moab
            Moab Lodging, Moab
            Moab Property Management, Inc., Moab
            Moab Storage, Moab
            Moab/Canyonlands Central Reservations, Moab
            Moabilia, Moab
            Mondo Café, Moab
            OkOkOk Productions, Moab
            Outdoor Utah Vacation Guide, Salt Lake City
            Paragon Painting, Moab
            Passage to Utah, Salt Lake City
            Patagonia, Salt Lake City
            Peace Tree Juice Café, Inc., Moab
            Petzl America, Clearfield Phil Triolo & Associates, Salt Lake City
            Plateau Restoration, Inc., Moab
            Poison Spider Bicycles, Moab
            Powder Corporation, Park City
            Raven Canyon Ranch, Kanab
            Red Dirt Ranch Enterprises, Kanab
            Red Rock Bakery, Moab
            Red Rock Forests, Moab
            Rim Tours, Moab
            Rocking V Café, Kanab
            Rustic Furniture of Moab,
            Moab Sacred Earth Foundation, Ivins
            SereneScapes Illustration, Moab
            Sierra Club (Utah Chapter), Salt Lake City
            Slickrock Adventures, Moab
            Slickrock Caféé, Moab
            Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, Salt Lake City
            Sunshine Deli, Moab
            Tesch Law Offices PC, Park City
            Thunderpaws, Kanab
            Travis Kelly Graphics, Moab
            Treasure Mountain Inn, Park City
            Tree of Life, Moab
            Under-the-Eaves Bed and Breakfast, Springdale
            Utah Guides and Outfitters, Moab
            Vortex Outdoors, Salt Lake City
            Wasatch Frame Shop, Salt Lake City
            Wasatch Touring, Salt Lake City
            Whipple Plumbing & Heating, Inc., Moab
            Will Cooper Acupuncture, Moab
            Willow Canyon Outdoors, Kanab
            Words and Photographs by Stephen Trimble, Salt Lake City
            Xetava Gardens, Ivins

Comment

THat we should express our concerns, but this proves how Enviromental groups will use anything to get their agenda accross.
              This is for sure. I would like to even urge them to contact the organization that created this letter, and let them know they no longer want part of it. An anti-petition perhaps!?

Comment

Thanks for the time spent shedding some light on this.
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Thankyou Jim for looking into this.

Im glad we didnt go on a full blown witch hunt before researching further.

As I told Sarah, I think these merchants would make great allies to the fourwheeling world, as at this point, they feel totally taken advantage of. We need to find a way to help them undo their mistake. Sarah, Jim and I are discussing what we can do.

Tam
                  2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                  Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Jim and I discussed creating a flyer on behalf of MJR, taking a neutral stance on the issue. Basically, presenting the facts and providing a way for the signers to contact the organization responsible for the letter/petition. Per Tammy's idea we are also going to write to possibly the Moab newspaper, Chamber of Commerce, etc.

If anyone has any suggestions for our letter/flyer/etc ... Please post and let us know how you feel, so we can be representative of the MJR Board.

Comment

I am going to make contact tommorrow, asking for my contact, who knows many of the owners, to have them post a recant and say they fell tricked and want nothing to do with the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, or the land clousure issue. and have it publiclly posted in a local newspaper, to send us a copy of the posting, we will them print in the flyer that these businesses want nothing to do with the letter and we can send a copy of each recant to the Governor of Utah.
                      this gives each member of their community a chance to show how they feel and a chance to show Utah that the SUWA uses cheap hand tricks to get thier support.
                      and if printed in he flyer will give them a chance to pass out the flyer and then 4xers can feel good about using the business services.

Comment

The southern Utah wilderness all. is a org that states in its mission statement

Off Road Vehicle: to protect America's Redrock Wilderness from irresponsible ORV use and gain management plans, restrictions, and enforcement for these machines on all public lands.

this is a anti access statement
                        however they have acheived the support of the businesses is the issue we are addressinf here
                        I have been told that not all the businesses will want to recant from the access issue. Or pull support from SUWA

I see it as you are for access or not for access, However I cannot speak for the board here.
                        I would be interested in where we draw the line.
                        is it as simple as for or against, or is it a maybe a little would be alright.
                        I do warn that giving in a little means that soon a little more is taken,then more again and again.

lets hear it.

Comment

Ah, the first lesson of politico-environmental activism...

LIARS.

This is very typical of many groups supporting a liberal anti-access, pro-regulation viewpoint. The underlying deception in the mission statement is this: "protect...from irresponsible ORV use..." What they say is that they would like to protect from irresponsible ORV use, which to most ORV users means the drunken fools throwing bottles overboard while tooling down the trail. To them, the word irresponsible covers ALL ORV use. This is the group responsible for closing the only access to some of the most incredeble petroglyphs in Canyonlands. For a better discussion of the topic, 4x4dvd.com has a great section on Utah land use issues in their Enthusiast - 4x4 101 DVD. How ironic that we just watched the DVD last night and this very issue was the crux of the discussion on Canyonlands land use. The "lush, remote streambed" referred to in the letter is actually a trail that has been in use for decades and they only called it a streambed (perhaps the word wash fits here?) to evoke the emotional response of the public that there certainly must be countless wildlife at risk from driving through a "streambed".

Personally, I find it amazing that any business that makes it's livelihood on the 4x4 community would not give this group due diligence prior to signing anything. Of course, who knows what was verbally said at the time the group went out for signatures. Promises, promises...

I will support any business that withdraws it's signature, but none that do not. I think it might be worth writing letters to the businesses to alert them to what they actually signed. I wonder how many of them actually saw the letter?
                          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I have talked to a few business owners who deny signing, or deny even knowing of the letter but thier names are on the list

http://www.suwa.org/library/Final_Huntsman_ad.pdf

The additude of it will just go away if we wait long enough is kinda in Moab

it is time to start writing letters emails and hitting web pages

we must show how searious this issue is and how many people are behind it

please copy and paste this to all 4x web sites

it is full support or no support, no other will do

Land closure is a very serious Issue.
                            On this website we have a feature about Pontiac sluice, that area is now going wilderness. that is how serious the issue is, Closed trails. a few areas at a time. first big horn, then cucamonga wilderness, next..... and it goes on and on.

Let everyone who has a computer spend 30 minutes posting this message, and writing to a few of the businesses, you can get thier websites and emails off the Moab Chamber of commerce website.

here is the link http://www.moabchamber.com/

Comment

This is what I think......

1. Did you find this on the web? If so, then I would automatically dismiss it. I get so much garbage in my inbox forwarded by close friends who recieved it from close friends that it must be true. It hardly ever is. However, my debunking sources (www.snopes.com and www.urbanlegends.com) do not have any listings for this particular letter. I have seen other letters similar to this that have turned out to be false.

I *feel* it is false in that it wants to close off all jeep/atv trails.

2. I reread the letter and I interpert it as saying that they are against the relabeling of "trails" to "highway". This is where lawyers make their $$$$. I think what they are afraid of is if the trails are renamed then they will get paved over as befitting a state "highway". The extra traffic (and construction) will surely destroy the landscape! And the easier access will chase away those of us who like roughing it.

So, I too, am against the re-designation of "trails". I am opposed to closed access. If they want to close jeep trails then to be fair they *must* also close hiking trails, horse trails, atv trails, bike trails, etc. I personally have packed out tons of someone else's trash while backpacking. In my experience, Jeepers are the cleanest!

Ok, I'm stepping down off my soap box....
                              CAT
                              Some girls like it rough!

Comment

Cat

Suwa has an agenda, and that agenda is to have as much of Utahs publics land turned in to wilderness.
                                Might I point you to what is happening to our own National forest here is southern California.
                                In the San Bernardino forest we have 3 large wilderness areas already carved out and now this year they will be carving another.
                                They use the smallest of reasons to have the areas closed.
                                Land clousures mean no wheeling
                                Might I point out that wheeling introduces many to the outdoors and our need to preserve them.
                                Any support of a Orginazation who wants regulation of motorized access (such as stated in SUWAs mission statement) is only supporting the forces that close land to us. It cannot be tolerated.

Comment

Working...
                                X