Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
    Sounds like they need to close the park to nature, rather than off-roaders.
    Brilliant! Absolutely BRILLIANT! We can close ALL the parks and forests and wilderness areas to NATURE and then we'll never have to deal with this shit ever again!
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Jrowell View Post
      Here is a response I received from the superintendent:
      "The Gulch is being temporary closed for public safety and natural resource protection, because of a summer storm that caused damaged to the area. This is common in State Parks and State Vehicle Recreation Area’s when storms and other events (wildfires, floods, mudslides, etc.) destroy portions of the Park.
      We are working on the problem, this closure applies only to vehicle traffic, the Gulch is still open to hiking."
      Can you give us the name, phone number and/or email for the superintendent? Is it a Red Rock State Park Superintendent or a California State Park Superintendent?

Someone has to be accountable for making the decision to close and we need to let that person know that we are watching their actions.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Found this on FB

As of October 10th, 2013, Nightmare Gulch is fully closed to vehicle traffic per District Superintendent Order Number 900-13-003. Nightmare Gulch is still open to hiking and equestrian use, but it is permanently closed to all vehicle use. Nightmare Gulch is still open to public use, just not vehicle use. Those found violating this closure will be charged with a misdemeanor with a total citation cost (including court fees) of around $400. Further questions and comments should be sent, in writing, to: Superintendent Richard Reisenhofer, 15701 East Ave. M, Lancaster, CA 93535
        No phone number or email.

I am seriously thinking about hiking the trail on Sunday to take photos. Probably parking at the gate at the intersection of Iron Canyon and Nightmare Gulch. Probably walking 2 to 3 miles in and then back.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
          Brilliant! Absolutely BRILLIANT! We can close ALL the parks and forests and wilderness areas to NATURE and then we'll never have to deal with this shit ever again!
          Exactly! Nature has been warned time and time again, and yet it still runs amok! The way I see it, all the senseless destruction it causes reflects upon the park management. If it keeps up, people are going to begin doubting and questioning whether the local, state, and federal governments are all-powerful, or if they're even God at all. Umm blessed be their name, and Obama their Prophet.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

http://www.4x4voice.com/index.php/ea...-chance-canyon

Comment

This is how you try to fix your debt and unfunded liability. You take away from the ones you dislike.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

But Curtis, without the iron hand of our government overlords, the wilderness would become dangerous! Without them, all those drug cartel types might get shot. And that's just for starters!
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Wait till they pass the agricultural bill.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

I like the "environmental assessment" statement. WTF is that? The rain washed away a whole bunch of sand rocks, just like it does every year.

Do you guys remember when the rain hit Red Rock around 10 years ago and the water was flowing at the height of the bridge just before Ricardo? They used to have the video at the ranger station there.
                    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                      I like the "environmental assessment" statement. WTF is that? The rain washed away a whole bunch of sand rocks, just like it does every year.
                      That there is what we call in the polite vernacular "horse feathers."
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                        Wait till they pass the agricultural bill.
                        I feel--I say I feel a Curtis thread coming on...
                        holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post

Do you guys remember when the rain hit Red Rock around 10 years ago and the water was flowing at the height of the bridge just before Ricardo? They used to have the video at the ranger station there.
                          While the latest rains didn't rage that high I am sure, they did cause damage to the southbound bridge. They have to close both lanes of the bridge, one at time to facilitate the repair. Having been done this canyon twice since the rains I can tell you first hand it is not anywhere near impassable. Two yrs ago they had a cave in. Some jeepers got together and cleared the blockage and did not have any issue. Now that I think about it, there were two cave ins that yr and close to one another and they didn't close the trail. The short cut that is discussed in that article has been there and in use since 2010 and I know rangers have seen it because I have seen them in that area so that can't be the issue.

As for hiking the canyon you might save yourself some time and effort if you take this intersection to the canyon: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=red+r...05284&t=h&z=18

This should put you about mid way in the canyon. Also, if you want post up or PM me a time you will be there, we just might join you if you want.

Comment

http://www.geargrinders4wdclub.org/i...ightmare-gulch

Comment

Doesn't look good for keeping it opened.

Comment

CORVA has stated the the OHMVR Division of State Parks is getting involved in assessing the damage. This is good news.

Comment

Working...
                                X