• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mojave Cross stolen

The Associated Press
    Posted: 05/11/2010 08:37:35 AM PDT
    Updated: 05/11/2010 08:37:35 AM PDT

MOJAVE NATIONAL PRESERVE, Calif.—Authorities say a 7-foot-tall cross in California's Mojave Desert that sparked a U.S. Supreme Court dispute has been stolen.

The National Park Service says someone cut the metal bolts holding the metal-pipe cross to the top of Sunrise Rock and made off with it Sunday night or before dawn on Monday.

Veterans groups say they're outraged at what they consider the desecration of a symbol that was erected in 1934 by the Veterans of Foreign Wars to honor World War I dead.

The cross was challenged by critics who say a religious symbol shouldn't be allowed on public land but the U.S. Supreme Court last month refused to order it removed.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

That is unbelievable! F**king theives will steal anything. I wonder if anyone will be able to replace it. I did read the other day that the Supreme Court rejected the lower court's ruling and allowed it to stay.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]So if you lose in the supreme court, I guess you just take the law into your own hands?

I realize nobody has been accused, I guess I'm just assuming.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

was it this guy?

This really sucks. People really need to get over themselves about monuments that have religious symbols. Just because its not your faith doesn't mean the monument isn't significant on historical grounds.

I guess the new inquisition is upon us.
        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I caught a glimpse of this on Fox news today. I couldn't beleive it. One needs to go right back up in it's place.

Comment

I also saw this on the news today..ya know it,s getting to the point that I can,t come up with words for things happeneing anymore..(SAD)!!
            "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
              [COLOR="Sienna"]So if you lose in the supreme court, I guess you just take the law into your own hands?

I realize nobody has been accused, I guess I'm just assuming.[/COLOR]
              X2,This was what I was thinking to,with a few more discriptive words added.
              Dennis and Tammy
              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
                X2,This was what I was thinking to,with a few more discriptive words added.
                I guess the 'f' word can be a verb, an adverb, adjective, noun, interjection.

I'm with Nick on this one... I have a sneaking suspicion of who might have done this.
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

So when is the MJR run going to be scheduled to put another in its place? I'm not much for religion or religious symbols, but seeing that this was a symbol that was erected in 1934 by the Veterans of Foreign Wars to honor World War I dead, I think it would be cool to get out there and put the symbol back in place to honor our vets. Good excuse to get out to Mojave before it gets too hot too!!!
                  That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                    So when is the MJR run going to be scheduled to put another in its place? I'm not much for religion or religious symbols, but seeing that this was a symbol that was erected in 1934 by the Veterans of Foreign Wars to honor World War I dead, I think it would be cool to get out there and put the symbol back in place to honor our vets. Good excuse to get out to Mojave before it gets too hot too!!!
                    Let me know, I'll go as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                      Let me know, I'll go as well.
                      I'm game and make it 10' tall this time
                      But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

Comment

From the Daily Press this morning:

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/cro...ous-theft.html
                        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                          That's a pretty bizarre story . . . will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I wonder what type of symbol the vandals planned to erect in it's place or if any of this is true.
                          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I'll weld up anew one. I can get the pipe today! Who will help?
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Is it possible to make one heavy enough that once assembeled on site, would be very difficult to remove without equipment, and attracting a lot of attention?
                              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X