Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its less then a mile from our house in sunland. big tujunga is totally on fire and no media coverage that ive seen. I guess we are just not as cool as acton or la crescenta. BUT ITS HERE and threatining the whole town. not just a few houses.

Comment

Big Tujunga coverage is all over Fox and KTLA
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by yjfor5 View Post
        its less then a mile from our house in sunland. big tujunga is totally on fire and no media coverage that ive seen. I guess we are just not as cool as acton or la crescenta. BUT ITS HERE and threatining the whole town. not just a few houses.
        My Saturday...Work 7am-4pm in Sunland/Tujunga. Get home, drinking my coffee when pager goes off. Dispatched for the Station Fire. Arrive staging at Hansen Dam at 5pm. The staging at Hansen Dam was amazing. A little town in itself. All you can eat, all the water and gatorade you can drink. Was waiting for my steak when Staging called, and I got sent out into the field, specifically Big Tujunga Canyon and Mt. Gleason. We "enforced" the mandatory evacuations of Alpine Village community, basically securing the area to keep out looters. About 3am, after 10 hours, I head home, sleep a couple, then go back to work at 7am this morning. Waiting for pager again, but getting kinda late now.

East side of fire from Hansen Dam...this is above La Cresenta

Smoke of fire in Big Tujunga

Gotta have a shot of the Jeep!

Comment

SAR you and your crew take care out there,and thank you.
          Dennis,Tammy
          Dennis and Tammy
          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Evergreen update

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
            Roger, is Evergreen stationing the 747 firefighter out at your airport?
            Jeff,

I got a call yeaterday morning that the Evergreen 747 was coming to SCLA. So I started working with the water department to get them a hydrant meter. The water supervisor just showed up when we got a call the Evergreen operations were canceled. Apparently it flew from Sacramento straight to the fire and it couldn't operate because of the steep terrain.

Kind of a useless aircraft! Most of Califorinia's major wildfires are in steep terrain!! The ones that start in flat areas are extinguished before they become major! :dunno: :bonk:
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

I don't spend much time in that side of aviation - but I'm surprised that they claimed that the steep terrain was an issue. We (SBNF) used the DC-10 several times in years back, it didn't seem to have a problem.

Dunno.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

Pics from last night. We were dispatched to patrol mandatory evac areas, and I spent most of my time in the Seven Hills Community.

Comment

Thanks for the pics SAR! It's amazing how it's so amazing and so dangerously frightening at the same time. The sun just came out up here - the winds must have changed direction a bit.
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Here's a video of the 747 in action. Turn down the sound - the voice over by Fox blathers a bunch

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/loca...Video_20090831
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY

Comment

The LA fire hit pretty close to home, Capt Ted Hall who died along with another firefighter was my neighbor. His mom and dad, uncle and aunt and cousin each have houses within a block of me. Rough time in our little community of Summit Estates.
                      Gregg
                      Gregg Turk
                      West Oak Hills
                      greggturk.com
                      95 Jeep Cherokee, 69 Jeep CJ5

Comment

Originally posted by tgregg View Post
                        The LA fire hit pretty close to home, Capt Ted Hall who died along with another firefighter was my neighbor. His mom and dad, uncle and aunt and cousin each have houses within a block of me. Rough time in our little community of Summit Estates.
                        Gregg
                        Sorry to hear that Gregg. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the families.
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Gregg
                          Wow, sorry to hear that! Hope you all make it ok. Our thoughts are with you. Good luck.
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Gregg
                            Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the fallen firefighters.

Thanks go out to the brave men and women who make up the fire crews and volunteers that we own the safety of our homes to.

It was surreal watching the flames from my kitchen window much of last weekend. It was strange how from our angle at the top of Lake Avenue in Altadena it seemed like the fire was always in about the same place. I'm guessing that it was an illusion. We were fortunate enough to have been 4 blocks away from the mandatory evacuations, but we had things packed and ready to go.

Christian
                            "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
                            X