Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump -- Meeting tonight in Ontario!

Turnout in Victorville was better than Twentynine Palms, but still poor -- about 200 people. This time it was about 90% recreationalists. Thank you to those that showed up, you know who you are! And, as someone so eloquently put it on one of the forums, "Where in the he## were the rest of you?"

Wrong answer: Home watching Survivor

Right answer: I'm going to the meeting in Ontario

There is FREE PARKING at the Ontario Convention Center tonight.

December 5, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Ontario, CA (Convention Center, 2000 E. Convention Center Way, Ontario, CA)

Helen Baker
    www.pfjv.org

Comment

From the Press Enterprise:

By DAVID DANELSKI
      The Press-Enterprise
      VICTORVILLE - Off-roading enthusiasts and military officials appeared to be on a collision course Thursday at a meeting hosted by the Marine Corps, which plans a major expansion of its training center at Twentynine Palms.

The Marines shared five expansion scenarios for enlarging the center, but the one that works best for maneuvers and live-fire training takes in all or part of the Johnson Valley, a 189,000-acre mecca for off-roaders in the San Bernardino County desert southeast of Barstow.

The revelation didn't go over well with many of the 167 people, most of them off-roaders, who attended the meeting in a hotel conference room.

"Any alternative that takes in the Johnson Valley would be catastrophic for our community," said Jim Arbogast, a regional director of the California Off-Road Vehicle Association.

Arbogast, an Anaheim resident who likes to trek through Johnson Valley in his Ford Bronco, would prefer to see the military expand into wilderness areas on the more remote east side of the training center.

Others said they wanted no military expansion at all.

"We don't want to lose a grain of sand, nothing," said Rich Wohlers, a four-wheeling enthusiast from Apple Valley.

Lt. Col. James McArthur said final decisions are at least two years away. The military must still evaluate the expansion options to determine how well communications, logistics, intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and other criteria will work in each area, he said.

Officials determined the Johnson Valley is best for live-fire exercises and maneuvering because it provides a natural extension of training corridors on the base, McArthur said.

The military also must review environmental issues in a study expected to be ready for public review in 2010.

Meeting participants were asked to make their comments in writing at several tables or to speak to a court reporter, who would create a transcript.

Marie Brashear, a rock collector from Lucerne Valley, said the comment format was self-serving for the military.

"The only purpose is to defuse and disarm people who may be opposed to the expansion," she said.

Helen Baker, director of the Partnership for Johnson Valley, said she liked the format because it prevents a few vocal people from taking over.

The Marine Corps wants to expand the 932-square-mile Air Ground Combat Center at Twentynine Palms to handle new training.

Military officials want enough space for three battalions to maneuver simultaneously using live ammunition accompanied by air support. Each battalion would have about 1,000 Marines supported by other troops.

The expansion area covers almost 76,000 acres of private property and most of the Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Area, a 189,000-acre public playground for off-roaders. Environmentalists have said the expansion could take territory from wild animals and plants at a time when desert habitat elsewhere is being claimed for solar and wind projects.

A Navy research group looked at 11 other potential training sites in the nation, but only Twentynine Palms has sufficient airspace and land, according to the Navy's application to acquire public lands.

Reach David Danelski at 951-368-9471 or ddanelski@PE.com
      Rich

Comment

Victorville Meeting Lead Story in Lucerne Valley Paper

The Victorville Meeting was the lead story in the Local Lucerne Valley newspaper.

I felt it was a very positive article. Yes, I am one of the people interviewed. The told her I represented MyJeepRocks.com but unfortunately that wsn't mentioned. BTW - Sarah told me I could represent the forum in case you are wondering.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

That's awesome!! Roger, can I have your autograph!?

EDIT: I wrote to her and thanked her for the article.
          Last edited by sarah; 12-12-08, 01:51 PM. Reason: add thank you
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
            That's awesome!! Roger, can I have your autograph!?

EDIT: I wrote to her and thanked her for the article.
            Hey Sarah,

If I gave you my autograph, you'd just sell it on E-bay
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

Good job with the PR stuff. It shows that you are passionate about living in Lucerne and protecting the High Desert. The collered shirt and tie was a bonus. Unlike Sarah, I don't won't your autograph, but humm? Maybe Katherines. Haaaa.... Thanks for taking the time and for being a good representitive.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                Roger,

Good job with the PR stuff. It shows that you are passionate about living in Lucerne and protecting the High Desert. The collered shirt and tie was a bonus. Unlike Sarah, I don't won't your autograph, but humm? Maybe Katherines. Haaaa.... Thanks for taking the time and for being a good representitive.

Mitch
                Mitch,

I thought you were kind of hot for her, same with the gal at the discovery center, just like the waitress at Richies Diner, just like......

Thanks for the kind words, I'm just trying to make a difference. Now if we could multiply that by the 3600+ MJR members, we could get somewhere!

Roger
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  Hey Sarah,

If I gave you my autograph, you'd just sell it on E-bay
                  Ya, you're right - in all honesty I despise ebay. I would surely save it though - for all the times I've asked, I've never actually had anyone take me up on the offer. hehehe

And Mitch, you are definitely the ladies' man!
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                  X