Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invitation to attend a Meeting with the USMC

In the mail today I receieved a post card from the Marine Corps inviting me to attend an open house. There are three planned meetings:

Dec 3: 5 9 PM at Twentynine Palms Jr. High in the Gym, Twentynine Palms.

Dec 4: 5 to 9 PM at Hilton Garden Inn, Victorville

Dec 5: 5 to 9 PM at Ontario Convention Center, Ontario

It's an open house so it's open to all. I sure hope a lot of us can make it. I'm planning on gong to ther Victorville meeting.

Oral & written comments will be accepted at the open house or comments can be sent to twentynine Palms marine base. Let me know if you want me to post the address.

The post card came address to me and under my name was listed MyJeepRocks.com. I don't think I've attended any of the meetings for this. Interesting.

Can you make it??? How about you I.E. guys, can any of you make it to the ONT meeting? Or all of us here in the High Desert, Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Roger
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Roger,

I have plans for Thursday 12-04-08, so I guess it will be Friday 12-05-08 in Ontario. I hope that I see some MJR folks there.

Mitch

Comment

Anyone besides Mitch (Ont), Nick (29 Palms), and Me (VV)?

Come on! post up, this is our chance to voice our concerns directly to the Marines. We may never get another opportunity.

If any of you are going to the Victorville meeting, I'm going to have dinner at Richie's Diner at 4:00 PM. Come join me.
      MJR moderator
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

12/5 in Ontario might be doable for me. If I can be there I will.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could, but I will be in 29 degree (as a HIGH) St. Paul, MN that Friday.

Come on IE folks! The meetings are more about attendance than actual communication. The USMC will be watching closely how many folks actually CARE. Make a statement by showing up!
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

The Mrs. and I will do our best to make it to the meeting in Ontario....
            Regards,
            Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

I will be at the Ontario meeting
              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

We'll be there!

Harry & I will be at all three meetings looking to meet more stakeholders and concerned JV users and residents. I've pasted a flyer about the meetings and the proposed alternatives below, please share it on boards, email lists, groups, etc.

Helen Baker

Help Save Johnson Valley!

Attend A Public Scoping Meeting on Proposed Marine Base Expansion

Working together everyone can help save Johnson Valley. However, your participation in the public decision making process is critical. You can help save Johnson Valley by attending one of the three Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base expansion scoping meetings. Just walking through the door of one of the meetings to ask questions and gather information sends a loud and powerful message that the future use of Johnson Valley by the public is important to you!

Meeting Dates

December 3, 2008, 5 p.m to 9 p.m., Twentynine Palms, CA (Twentynine Palms Junior High, Hay’s Gym, 5798 Utah Trail, Twentynine Palms, CA)

December 4, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Victorville, CA (Hilton Garden Inn Victorville, 12603 Mariposa Road, Victorville, CA)

December 5, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Ontario, CA (Convention Center, 2000 E. Convention Center Way, Ontario, CA)

The Marine Corps is studying it's needs to meet the Marine Corps Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) sustained, combined arms, live-fire and maneuver training requirements. The scoping meetings are designed to solicit input from stakeholders, the affected public and agencies regarding issues or interests that should be studied or the reasonable alternatives that should be considered for the study moving forward. Each of the three scoping meetings will consist of an informal, open house session with information stations staffed by Marine Corps representatives. Public comment forms will be available and gathered at the information stations, and a stenographer will be available to take oral comments for inclusion in the record.

At this time the Marine Corps is studying five potential base expansion alternatives and a No Action Alternative. These study alternatives include:

Alternatives 1 & 4 – Add 188,000 acres West of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. These alternatives effectively include expansion in to all of the Johnson Valley OHV-Multiple Use Area. Training movements and live-fire exercises differ between Alternative 1 and 4.

Alternative 2 – Add 122,000 acres West of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. This alternative includes most of the Johnson Valley OHV-Multiple Use Area.

Alternative 3 – Add 228,000 acres East of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. This alternative does not include expansion into Johnson Valley.

Alternative 5 – Add 188,000 acres West of the base only (Johnson Valley).

No Action Alternative – Marine Corps will seek no additional lands, MEB exercises would occur on existing base.

Take Action Now – Attend at least one public scoping meeting and encourage your family and friends to do the same, and pass along this information to others you think are interested in Johnson Valley’s future. Visit the Partnership For Johnson Valley at www.pfjv.org for additional information and the latest updates.

Comment

Harry & Helen,

I'm glad you are so active in this proposal.

Thank you very much,

Roger
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

I'm trying to get out of the $100 Xmas Dinner commitment on Thursday night. If I can, I'll join you for the meeting in Victorville. Friday night in Ontario won't work if we go out exploring Friday daytime. I don't want to rush our trip. So I'm waiting to hear back on the prior commitment and I'll keep you posted.

Attending these meetings is so important.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                      Roger,

I'm trying to get out of the $100 Xmas Dinner commitment on Thursday night. If I can, I'll join you for the meeting in Victorville. Friday night in Ontario won't work if we go out exploring Friday daytime. I don't want to rush our trip. So I'm waiting to hear back on the prior commitment and I'll keep you posted.

Attending these meetings is so important.

Mitch

If you could get out of that $100 dinner that's $100 you can spend on gas for your Jeep. Just a thought
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Tomorrow night, 29 Palms Jr. High Gymnasium. 1700-2100, got it locked into my brain housing group now.
                        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Roger,

That is exactly what I was thinking! Anyway, I was able to get out of the commitment and I'll see you at Richies before the meeting in Victorville Thursday night. So no Ontario meeting for me on Friday night. This way I'll stay in town and not have to cut it short on our Friday run.

Mitch

Comment

I've created a thread complete with roll calls and a rant over here:
                            http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...588#post116588

We really need to get our numbers up. I know for many it's difficult to be "political," but human beings are political by nature, and if you can't beat em, join em! We have not stressed in this thread how important this is an how this is basically a mandatory meeting for all outdoor enthusiasts. We're not going to win by making excuses or sitting home on the couch time after time. Let's grab our outside voices and head over to the Hilton! Woooo!!
                            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Bump -- Meeting tonight in Victorville!

Turnout in Twentynine Palms was poor -- about 120 people. About 85% residents. Thank you to the off roaders who came from the local area and to FOGR folks, but especially thanks to those that came from as far away as Fullerton and Newport Beach.

December 4, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Victorville, CA (Hilton Garden Inn Victorville, 12603 Mariposa Road, Victorville, CA)

Comment

Working...
                              X