Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tablet and App To Replace Standalone GPS?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablet and App To Replace Standalone GPS?

I’m wondering if the tablet apps have progressed to the point where they are viable wilderness navigation tools. “Gaia” and “Back Country Navigator” apps have been around for a couple years now and supposedly allow down loading topo maps when connected, for use when not connected (i.e. out of cell range).

For years I’ve wished for a full featured GPS with a large easy to read screen. Full featured meaning it can create/upload/download tracks and have access to good topo maps (i.e. USGS maps, Delorme, or even cached GoogleEarth images). The larger Nuvi’s are relatively easy to read, but don’t work with tracks (the 500 can create and upload tracks, but not down load them from someone else). The 60/62csx is powerful, but has a small screen and no touch screen for easy use on the road. The Lowrance Baja probably is the best combination of features and readable screen, but it’s expensive and bulky.

7” tablets are less than $200, are light, and have a very readable screens. Has anyone mounted one in their Jeep, loaded one of the topo map apps, and determined if how good they really are when away from a cell signal?

Cliff

I currently use an iPad with the Motion X HD app

The retina display is awesome.

Motion X has a learning curve. Once I got it figured out it is a very powerful app that works well for what we do.

A pretty good blog about iPad and navigation apps
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Cliff,
      I was in the same predicament as you, needing a bigger screen. I have Back Country Navigator loaded on my android tablet and it works very well. I downloaded some topo maps (free) and used it in the Panamint valley last month. Worked very well, easy to use. Don't need cell or wifi.

The problem is going to be mounting it in my JK, not many places that don't block controls and radios. I just lay it on the seat and pick it up when I need to check the map.

Mike
      "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Working...
      X