Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i can no longer recommend google earth for off-road (offline) use. it has let me down twice now and i dont know if its the newest version giving issues or just a setting with my computer or just plain user error. either way if my friend hadnt been there with a traditional hand held GPS we would had to find the trail the old fashion and slow way
    KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

I downloaded this new program that is probably the most reliable map program I have ever used. In the program you select on the map which USGS quads you want to use and they mail you a paper copy. The batteries last a LONG time you don't have to worry about software updates.

Seriously I have been using Google earth with an add on that overlays the USGS topos on top of the Google topography which is nice. I use that to plan trips. I can lay down tracks and transfer them to and from my Garmin GPS with "BPSbable". I have my Google and my Garmin setup to read coordinates in UTM. Also When I get my USGS paper maps I fill in the UTM grid before I waterproof them. I’ve been really happy with them. The gps is a good tool for finding your place on the map quickly but the paper map gives you the BIG picture. My gps has failed me a few times and now I just do not go into the back country without a paper map.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I am looking for something that shows me where I am on an electronic map. I would like to be able to input/upload maps from other users, and have the ability to make a run and lay down my own waypoints to build trails that I can save and share with others.

any/all inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

I'm now using Backcountry navigator for android phones with great success. Its dead simple to get good topo and sat maps to take with you out of cell range. Its a little tricky, but you can get great sat maps (google earth, ARCsat) with a 3rd party program MOBAC. I still plan and maintain all trails on google earth but import/export the tracks into Backcountry navigator for use offroad.

the shortcoming with this method over traditional hand held GPS is that battery life is poor with smart phones.

as a side note the SBNF paper map available at ranger stations is VERY good. That comes with me now too and is extremly godo on batteries
          KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

I'm good with that....and want to dump my crackberry for an android, but what I would like to find is a gps that will log where I am going, where I have been and let me down load it and create a map when I get home. My Garmin Edge 500 does this when I go for bicycle rides; even gives me elevation data. Does something like this exist in a useable car gps? Maybe the Jeep Trail Guide GPS from Garmin, or do I need something like a nuvi 760 or oregon 450t? Thanks for not laughing.....too hard!

Comment

Working...
            X