Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a long time National Geographic Topo User but I just switched over to DeLorme Topo USA and Street Atlas USA, here is why.

The main reason I liked Topo was the USGS maps, that was great. The main issue I have with it is that it really looks like National Geographic is moving more toward an Internet based approach and that is just not going to work with expedition type wheeling in mind.

I got a good deal on the DeLorme software and GPS dongle so decided to give it a whirl. The main issue with the DeLorme software is it does not use the USGS maps, it uses their own maps. This is easily fixed by using their Netlink tab to download maps for a fee. I highly recommend getting an annual subscription which gives you unlimited downloads.

Here are the features that I really, really like about using DeLorme software:

USGS Maps: These are the same maps as Topo has although not as polished looking and only at the 1:24000 level (only level that really matters to me).
    Aerial Imagery: There are a few different flavors of aerial imagery available, this is really handy for tracing out trails and such.
    NOAA Nautical CHarts: One day I'll have a boat!
    Draw Roads: This is the real cincher for me. I can draw roads on the map that are then routable in either DeLorme Topo or Street Atlas. This was I can pre-stage an entire event with routes and have my computer lead me through the entire weekend.
    Compatibility: DeLorme makes it a little easier to share than Topo does.

I really like that the two pieces of software can share information well (it's easier to build a route in Street Atlas so I load the custom road layers into SA, build and safe the route, then bring it over to Topo for use) and are faily easy to use while on the move. I had my machine running with Topo when I was in JV last NOvember and it got the job done very well.

The only issue I have with DeLorme software is the lack of Macintosh support, it is PC only. Topo does have a Macintosh side but it's not always on par with the PC side feature wise. I've worked around that issue by getting a PC laptop for my navigation machine.

So.. There it is.
    What kind of madman would have two Jeeps and a KLR650?

KJ6KVL

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
      Sarah, do you have to buy the google earth upgrade to load you tracks and export them in .kml? I think I tried to do this before and the $$$ upgrade was required.
      what are you guys trying to do? i use the free version of google earth and i can save, create, and load tracks in .kml. you can use an internet site to translate .kml into any other format you want.

you can also use gps tracking with the free version of google earth. the old GE feature of gps tracking that you had to pay for was not good anyhow.

i use GE for wheeling. the limitation being that i need to cache the satellite images i need before i go out.
      KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by GSequoia View Post
        Draw Roads: This is the real cincher for me. I can draw roads on the map that are then routable in either DeLorme Topo or Street Atlas. This was I can pre-stage an entire event with routes and have my computer lead me through the entire weekend.
        Are you saying that DeLorme will auto route you offroad? Your computer or GPS receiver tells you to turn left on 3N34 in 50'?

I have been using Nat Geo Topo for many years. I have had DeLorme Topo USA 7.0 for about a year and I really don't have much time invested in it. The learning curve for DeLorme is more difficult than Nat Geo.

I can draw roads on Nat Geo Topo. I save the .tpo file and then convert it to .gpx file using GPS Babel. http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/ I can upload the .gpx file to MJR. Anyone can download the .gpx file and use it on their own GPS receiver as a route (but not autoroutable).
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
          Are you saying that DeLorme will auto route you offroad? Your computer or GPS receiver tells you to turn left on 3N34 in 50'?
          Yes. It takes a little bit of getting used to exactly how to join roads and such but, for example, I have a route saved now that takes me from I-15 to Pioneer town via Cleghorn, Pilot Rock, Dishpan, Holcomb, John Bull, Jacoby, 3N03, and 2N02. If I flip the computer on at the Cleghorn exit it will tell me every turn to make until I reach the Pioneertown Bowl.

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
          I can draw roads on Nat Geo Topo. I save the .tpo file and then convert it to .gpx file using GPS Babel. http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/ I can upload the .gpx file to MJR. Anyone can download the .gpx file and use it on their own GPS receiver as a route (but not autoroutable).
          I've used GPS Babel a little bit when setting up some trails and it works well. Also with GPS Babel you can make the routes you upload into routable roads in Topo by converting the GPX file to a CSV then editing the CSV to tell Topo it's a road.
          What kind of madman would have two Jeeps and a KLR650?

KJ6KVL

Comment

Working...
          X