Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS/Mapping Software Thoughts

I know this has been covered in varying degrees in other posts, but as it has been a while I thought it might be okay to try again for more recent info.

I thought I would ask to see what software people are using, like and can recommend. Currently, I use National Geographic Topo! 4.0 (I can't seem to get the 4.5 updgrade), EasyGPS (really like this one), ExpertGPS (not sure if I should purchase after the trial ends), Garmin Map Source, and Google Earth.

I would like to upload gps tracks to topo maps and google earth, plot way points on my PC and transfer to my gps, transfer way point files to my gps, overlay maps and other things like that. I would really like to be able to plan trips ahead of time, make print maps and download to my gps. I would also like to be able to make post trip maps that had tracks and waypoints. I would like to integrate both of these things on a topo map and on google earth.

I put the garmin topos on my handheld gps, and am thinking that may have been a mistake. I really only use the gps for back country trails, but the topo detail level leaves off the route names (eg: 3N13).

What are you using? What works? I have been looking at the Delorme Topo & Backcountry products, does anyone have any feedback? I sure like the Delorme books as a reference.

I am interested to hear what people are using.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I use a Mac, but here is my writeup.

I haven't been able to find a solid workflow for sharing tracks on the Mac - and wasn't about to spend another several hundred dollars on software - so here's what I've come up with. I still need to do a real-life test, but I think I have something worthy of sharing. If anyone has any tips on how to cut out a step or two, please let me know...

Goals:
    To share trail tracks in GPX format;
    To geotag photos;
    To edit tracks and view them before transferring to the GPSr or sharing;
    To complete all tasks on Mac OS X with a budget of $0.

Required software:
    GPSPhotoLinker: http://oregonstate.edu/~earlyj/gpsph...r/download.php
    Google Earth: http://earth.google.com
    GPSBabel: http://www.gpsbabel.org

Issues:
    Many WYSIWYG track editors delete time stamps upon save.
    Saving tracks on the GPSr (clicking "save") before the memory fills up deletes time stamps.
    Mapsource doesn't run natively on the Mac.
    Many geocaching applications don't support tracks.

Workflow:
    [1] Setup the GPSr to save tracks to the data card. Tracks > Setup > Data Card Setup (this retains time stamps)
    [1a] Be sure to check current time on the GPSr and camera - adjust if necessary. They need to match, of course.
    [1b] Drive your favorite trail and log some tracks!
    [2] Connect GPSr to the Mac via Main Menu > Setup > Interface > USB Mass Storage
    [3] Drag & drop gpx tracks to the computer.
    [4] Link tracks and photos with GPSPhotoLinker.
    [5] Archive original tracks. (Save them in a safe folder - to retain time stamps.)
    [6] Open tracks in Google Earth. View, edit, and export selected as .kml.
    [7] Use GPSBabel to convert from .kml to GPX XML. (note: deletes time stamps)
    [8] Add a name to the track file. Open TextEdit and between <trk> and <trkseg>, (limit to about 15 characters) and add:
    <name>###</name>
    [9] Optional: Open new GPX trail file in Google Earth to double-check file accuracy.
    [10] Use GPSBabel to transfer to GPSr. Be sure to select TRACKS!

Tested with:
    Garmin GPSMap 60csx
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Excellent info.........thank you Sarah. I too am using a GPSMap 60 csx. What maps do yu have loaded into you GPS receiver?

I will be looking into the software you mentioned tomorrow. Any known issues with using this software on a PC?

Side Note............Russ Chung where are you, as I know you are a prolific gps user?

Comment

No problem, Brian. I hope it is useful for you. I loaded in the Garmin maps. I forget which disc I have - I'll have to look in the safe. They are OK. (i.e. Don't trust that there's a gas station beyond the hill.) I got an SD card and filled it with almost every area that I could ever think of going to in the USA, except for the place we went last weekend (St. Louis MO)! LOL It sure does hold alot though.

I haven't used any of the software on the PC except Garmin (I use VMWare Fusion), but I think the workflow there can give you some ideas as to how to compose yours. Let us know how it works!

If you haven't done it before, geotagging is super neato. Here is an example, Flickr supports it:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/sw33t/s...513586890/map/
        The map isn't the most intuitive, you do have to scroll it to see all of the dots.

Comment

Sarah, do you have to buy the google earth upgrade to load you tracks and export them in .kml? I think I tried to do this before and the $$$ upgrade was required.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]I had to upgrade to make or download tracks with GE[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I will definitely be playing with some GPS stuff for the next few days/weeks trying to see what works.

Keep the ideas coming........

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                Sarah, do you have to buy the google earth upgrade to load you tracks and export them in .kml? I think I tried to do this before and the $$$ upgrade was required.
                Oh darn, I think you're right. Yes, I have a license. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                  Oh darn, I think you're right. Yes, I have a license. My bad.
                  I was just ready to renew my license to Google but they just change their licensing, the 20 dollar up is not available any more. They want 500 for the professional and no longer will support the cheaper up grade.

I now use World Wind 4 version free.
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

You can try GPSVisualizer to convert Garmin files to GE files.

Comment

Another good GPS software package

Greetings,

I have a Lowerance iFinder Expedition GPS unit and I use a combination of National Geographics TOPO 4.5 along with GPSBable and GPS Trackmaker. GPS Trackmaker is a free application that is great for editing my tracks and will save in several formats including the Lowerance .usr format. I will plot a trip using NG software or Google Earth, edit it in trackmaker and load it into the GPS unit. GPSBable is used to convert NP and Google Earth to GPX or USR format.

GPS Trackmaker can be found at http://www.gpstm.com/

Enjoy
                      OHV12V SBNFA OHV Volunteer

Comment

sorry guys, im a bit of a GPS idiot. i just bought a (DONT LAUGH) tomtom xl330s http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/29/t...new-car-mount/. ive been reading all of the posts and i cant make sense of what half of you guys talk about with regards to downloading software and such... how do i find if my gps is capable of upgrading topo maps and all that... its a good city driving gps but i really want to be able to navigate when im in the mt's and stuff. thanks for any help.
                        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Brian,

I know this thread is starting to age but I wanted to mention that I use Delorme Topo 7.0 (I also have Delorme Street Street Atlas 2008, but hardly use it). I have them installed in my laptop with a generic gps receving unit plugged into a USB port. It works great and I really like the large screen!

In my options pull down menu it looks like Delorme Topo can be used in the following GPS products:
                          Garmin
                          Delorme Earthmate
                          Rockwell
                          Radio Shack Digi Traveler
                          Trimble
                          Magellen
                          Lowrance/Eagle
                          Brunton

How are you coming on your research?
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

I have turned to the following........but am not particularly enamored with any of them. I would welcome some more suggestions.

Garmin GPSMAP 60 csx
                            Garmin MapSource Topo
                            National Geographic Topo 4.0
                            EasyGPS
                            ExpertGPS
                            Google Earth

This allows me to do many of the things I would like to do, but it can be a multi-step and time consuming process.

I am not particularly fond of the NatGeo product and have been considering the DeLorme Topo version.

I am still lost as to how to best record tracks, create .kml files for Google Earth, and to also create and print TOPO maps with the same information. I would also like to use the aforementioned programs to help find and locate spots, add them to .kml files and TOPOs and load those back into to my handheld GPS.

Obviously, there is still much to learn on this subject.
                            Last edited by ECV Jeep; 08-09-09, 08:46 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Brian,

On your next trip up my way, come by my place and try out the Delorme Topo on my lap top to see if you like it. Lemme know if you are interested.
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X