Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNSMOGGING my Jeep...

So thanks you guys for the tips on helping me replace my master cylinder! Lucy is just about back on the road...

After I put in the new master cylinder, I was sitting at home a few beers deep and I got to thinking about Historical motor vehicle plates. I know Schwarteneggar stopped the cutoff at 1974 or something so you can still get historical plates for a car as old as that.
    Then I got this great evil plan; go to a junk yard and find a early 70's CJ7, drill the VIN off of it. Then Non-Op my current Jeep, drill the VIN off of it and replace it with the VIN I found in the junk yard and register it as historical. After that I can just take all the crap out of my engine compartment....

....is there any reason why this wont work?

After getting the historical plates, I wont have to smog it anymore...My Jeep It has a brand new engine in it, it runs clean and I dont need to smog it. What it does need is a different carb other than that pile if crap that is on there now with all the tubes and hoses hooked into it.

-Cheers

1983 CJ-7, I bought her when I was 15, she's my baby

Originally posted by eatpasta View Post
    ....is there any reason why this wont work?

-Cheers

Because it is illegal. Would you get caught? Maybe, maybe not.

This is done all the time but putting the wrong vin on a vehicle is definately illegal.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

well not THAT illegal....

how would you even be able to tell though?

Comment

i wouldnt advise doing that, if you do get caught you could get screwed. and that wouldnt be good. Why do you want to make it a "historical vehicle" anyways? cause of the plates? or the smog? With the new motor you shouldnt have to worry about smog problems and i dont think plates are that big of a deal to go through all that for it. Just my .02
        -Allen
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Vin switch is a fellony charge,they take your jeep, and you to jail.Most jeeps (cars whatever) that are in the junk yard are salvaged or totaled out and are recorded that way.Do it get pulled over and let them run your (Historical plate) on a cj? why? and see what happens. Smog the thing, pay the reg fees and be happy...(And in the words of my bud swbooking thats my .02)
          The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

because with historical plates you dont have to smog. The 83 is just covered in smog BS and it just doesn't run very well. that piece of crap Carter carburetor, its the only one you can legally have on there.
            I wouldn't be trying to scheme things like this if it were legal to just put a Weber on there.... because Im not going to spend $1200 for fuel injection...

If I got a VIN from the junkyard, I was planning of registering it with historical plates.... I wouldnt drive around with a stolen VIN....
            Last edited by eatpasta; 01-18-07, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Sometimes you got to do what you got to do. I dont always wanna put money into servicing the XJ, Id way rather buy some new "part" for it, but I have to to keep it running. Either fix the carb up all nice or do the FI. dont try to jimmyrig it... haha no offense Jimmy.
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                Sometimes you got to do what you got to do. I dont always wanna put money into servicing the XJ, Id way rather buy some new "part" for it, but I have to to keep it running. Either fix the carb up all nice or do the FI.
                Fuel injection would be really sweet.... especially after putting all the money to have the motor done. But JEEZUS is it expensive...

Comment

Yup you own a Jeep. Just Empty Every Pocket...

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                    Yup you own a Jeep. Just Empty Every Pocket...

boy aint THAT the truth.... you should have been there when the clutch dropped to the floor at the light on Highland and Wilshire at 6:30pm on a friday....
                    Last edited by eatpasta; 01-18-07, 07:13 PM.

Comment

OMG... Im already scared. haha Mine blew on the way to work one morning and I jammed it into second gear drove to work, then drove it home in second gear. lol granted i only live like 10 min from deer lick lumber

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

ya I actually had to push it off the road from the left lane (of course), right over three lanes of traffic and almost got hit at least twice. Everyone honked and nobody helped.

Gotta love LA

Comment

Crap, thats so gay. My GF and I got rearended in her RSX on the 405 near LB and we were in the left lane and no one would let us over! they just kept honking as we were trying to pull over to the right. Didnt they see we just had an accident?! LA = Best City Ever

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

This is why I'm transferring title and registration on the YJ to Michigan. I'm a legal resident of MI and there are no smog laws there. This scheme crossed my mind once, but I quickly disregarded it after some research into the penalties. Besides, my luck would be that the cop that pulls me over would be a Jeep fanatic and KNOW that it wasn't a 74 or older.
                            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

If you really want to ditch all the smog stuff than just do it.

A) Keep all the stock stuff and replace it for smog checks.

B) I'm sure a friend of a friend would know of a smog place somewhere in LA that will "pass" it. It might cost you a little more... But it would get done.

However taking the advice of a guy named CRASH! is never a good idea and done so at your own risk! LOL

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

Working...
                              X