Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. At the time that picture was taken, my (ex) wife insisted on it. Don't worry - they come right off
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Back to Wonderboy's question though... I'm pretty sure that it's illegal here in Cali to mount a fuel tank external to the body/frame. Much like the Ford Pinto reference, you'd have a high risk of catching yourself on fire in a simple 'rear-end' tap. My Jeep, (the '74 CJ) has the body design that still includes an 'under the driver's seat' fuel cell. I've fiddled with the idea of putting a fuel cell under there and using it as a reserve fuel cell, but with as many of these rigs that go upside down I'm sorta leery of that. Carrying jerry-cans is the simplest and most optimal solution IMHO. Also, you can easily lend the extra fuel to someone else without having to do the ole 'swig-an-spit' with a hose.

My :2:
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
        I got the idea from a Friend of mine. I buy them 3-4 at a time from Camping World, they deteriorate in the sunlight. That part of the rack is notched, I only have one of my two cans set up with the spigot.

Very useful to wash hands, face after a dusty trail!
        ever thought of using a steel/bronze one from a hardware store? Wouldn't it work? I'm interested in getting my hands on a few of the old-school metal jerry-cans. Lemme know if you find some laying around!

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez
          ever thought of using a steel/bronze one from a hardware store? Wouldn't it work? I'm interested in getting my hands on a few of the old-school metal jerry-cans. Lemme know if you find some laying around!
          Considered it Nick, just been way too busy to even look. I prefer the newer NATO cans like I have now - they just don't leak - period.

Last set of Blitz cans I had we used as 1000yd targets
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
            Considered it Nick, just been way too busy to even look. I prefer the newer NATO cans like I have now - they just don't leak - period.

Last set of Blitz cans I had we used as 1000yd targets
            Wait... you prefer the newer plastic cans? I'm a little taken back because we've had some problems with them splitting open when they age a little.

Comment

Steel NATO cans, one generation ago. What's on the rack in the picture.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

Working...
              X