Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ia am doing to save gas.

I parked the Jeep and went and bought a new Harley. I went through my bank statement for last month and added up all the gas I bought last month. I stopped counting around 500 bucks. Spent all day saturday at the Harley dealership and got a 2006 Softail Standard. The payment is 200 per month, insurance is 50 per month and will probably be a little over 100 a month for gas. So now I have both of the big toys I have always wanted. Unfortunatly I had to spend most of my axle upgrade money on the downpayment. But at least if I break my dana 35 when wheeling I have a second vehicle to get around on. The only part that is going to be hard is deciding whether to go on a bike ride or 4 wheeling on the weekends.
    Dennis
    04 TJ
    4.0/Auto
    RE 4.5 Long Arm
    Rock-It Man Rockers
    33x12.50 BFG A/T
    desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

HOT!! Congrats!!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Well it sound like you just couldn't afford not to! I like your thinking!

Comment

I am thinking about buying a little dual sport that I can hang on the front of the dodge when I am on longer (non-jeepin) trips. Will serve as daily transportation to/from work and school, cheap weekend toy for to explore the back roads....plus if I get a little (no bigger than say, a 250cc), I can haul it around on the front of the Dodge, so when I set up camp in mexico for a week, I don't have to move the dodge around.....

I was hoping they would start selling the diesel bikes to the public, but the military demand is still so high that they have put off civilian production. But hey, 102 mpg sure would be cool!
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I am selling my Jeep and getting a VW Golf TDI. Sadly, I could not afford both

But for those still driving there Jeeps with a lot of interstate here is one trick that saved me a lot of gas, stay in the slow lane behind the big rigs. It takes awhile to adjust to the slower driving but it saves a lot on gas. Well it did for me.
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
            I stay in the slow lane behind the big rigs. It takes awhile to adjust to the slower driving but it saves a lot on gas. Well it did for me.
            Oh, you mean you can actually get to those, what are they called, fast lanes!
            Supe
            97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
            Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

The fast lane is the 2 dirt tracks that lead off the Interstate and over a fence
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Thats a nice rig Deamer. I am doing some research on a DR400 right now for the same reasons. I can see myself getting into a different type of trailing though!

Good luck and be careful on the new Harley!
                Supe
                97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

nice bike...my fiance has been talkin about letting me do the same because of how high gas is getting and what its supposed to get to.

Comment

Nice Bike man...congrats!

Guess I'm sorta lucky; one of the few perks I have at works is that I have a gas card. Since I've owned my Jeep (almost a year) I think I might have filled it on my own dime maybe 4 times. Otherwise, I'd probably be forced to have my OWN version of Operation ReStock and sale .
                    -Bob
                    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Sweet!

Michael
                      1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport
                      3" Rough Country Lift

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                        But for those still driving there Jeeps with a lot of interstate here is one trick that saved me a lot of gas, stay in the slow lane behind the big rigs. It takes awhile to adjust to the slower driving but it saves a lot on gas. Well it did for me.
                        I agree with the driving behind the big rigs saving you gas. Its just scary not being able to see as much of the road in front of you. I did that when I drove the Jeep to Texas and Missouri last year. When I was behind them I had no problem keeping the overdive on but if they exited or I dropped back to far from the trailer it would kick it out of overdrive. I got the idea from watching a story about Nascar and they way they draft the car in front of them.
                        For the guys thinking of getting bikes I recommend this class if you haven't done so already. http://www.msf-usa.org/ The military requires us to take the motorcycle safety course when you get a bike. When I took mine a few years back it taught me a lot about riding even though I thought I knew what I was doing. Plus most insurance companies give you a rate discount. The Air Force paid our enrollment fees since they required the class and I have heard that some civilian companies will do the same for their employees.
                        Dennis
                        04 TJ
                        4.0/Auto
                        RE 4.5 Long Arm
                        Rock-It Man Rockers
                        33x12.50 BFG A/T
                        desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

Working...
                        X