Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mattress to get.

Is this off topic enough? Anyway my back is killing me and my wife ain't feeling too great in the morning either. We just got a new bedroom set (IKEA rules dude!) and were thinking it's time for a new mattress. I was thinking that Temperpedic one but don't see spending $2K on a mattress. How much better could it be? BS. Anyway I was told that after $300 your not getting any better a quality in the bed. Any suggestions on a brand?
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Denver Mattress. Rick's dad has one that I got to try out - whew it's nice! Supposedly very inexpensive too. The only place I've found anything about them is Furniture Row, and they are very not-helpful. (Oh, and now this. Might be worth it to scope it out though, damn that was a nice night's sleep.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

we just got a king-sized pillow-top sealy from costco for a pretty good price. their price included delivery and box springs. it's damn comfy

Comment

...sigh...a subject near and dear to my heart...errr.....back.

I purchased a seemingly nice Simmons Pillowtop mattress just over two years ago from Robinsons May. We've had nothing but problems since after about the first 4 months of purchaset. Chris and I haved rolled into one another since then...and obviously havent slept well since. Its hard to sleep at an angle on your back or on your side every night.

What that has to do with a new purchase, is that during this adventure, we've had three bed inspectors out. The second one told us what you heard about spending lots of money on a mattress, that after a certain point, the price didnt necessarily equal the quality or comfort. Id definitely lay on alot of mattresses together, spend some real time testing them out.

Im still battling Simmons and Robinsons May, they contend that the mattresses defects fall within the manufactures tolerances. I WILL WIN. They dont know who theyre messing with. The second inspector replaced the box spring (???!!!) The last one was out a few weeks ago, and made the same determination regarding within tolerances. I told the manager of the Robinsons May store that if they did not replace the mattress, that I would load it into the back of my truck, put a sign on it stating "DO NOT BUY MATTRESSES AT ROBINSONS MAY" and take it into the store and up the escalator to the furniture department and leave it there. And I will. The saga continues.

Good luck with your mattress purchase...oh...and dont buy a Simmons!

Tam
        Last edited by JeepGal; 09-12-05, 11:13 AM.
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Get that Swedish stuff that was developed by NASA.. Honeslty, I have no ideas for you on this one.

Mmm bork bork...
          Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
            I told the manager of the Robinsons May store that if they did not replace the matress, that I would load it into the back of my truck, put a sign on it stating "DO NOT BUY MATRESSES AT ROBINSONS MAY" and take it into the store and up the escalator to the furniture department and leave it there. And I will. The saga continues.

Tam
            let me know when you are going to do this, i want to watch!
            this sounds like something that i would do.
            then sue the bastards! they cant say you didnt return it

on another note, i have heard nothing but good about the set at costco.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Tam, let us all know when you are going to haul that thing down there....I want pictures! lol

As for buying matresses test drive them before you buy...everyone who is going to be sleeping in the bed needs to go, you need to roll around on it, lay on it (just don't get freaky on it until you get it home......other shoppers generally don't like that). Also see what their exchange policy is. Many places will let you trade up after 30 days if you don't like it. The catch is that you usually have to trade UP, not down. I would avoid a "no flip" mattress. All they are is a mattress that only has one usable side.

I have talked to a couple people with the "sleep number" bed. All of them are very happy with them, although I have never slept on one myself.
              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                let me know when you are going to do this, i want to watch!
                this sounds like something that i would do.
                then sue the bastards! they cant say you didnt return it

on another note, i have heard nothing but good about the set at costco.
                Yeah let me know too, I will bring the beer, protest signs and a bull horn

Comment

Tam, I thought you guys were getting somewhere when I was there the last time. It seemed like the guy admitted you had a problem. I hate to see it has degraded to this.
                  I have a Simmons Beauty Rest, Pillow top, sovernty something plus, and we love it, it is a great mattress. Has anyone from Simmons seen it, or just those yahoos from Robinsons MAy?
                  censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
                    IKEA rules dude!
                    I just bought mine at IKEA when I got the bed frame/headboard... I love the mattress as much as the bed!

Michael
                    1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport
                    3" Rough Country Lift

Comment

Originally posted by RUBICONN
                      I just bought mine at IKEA when I got the bed frame/headboard... I love the mattress as much as the bed!

Michael
                      Yeah, did'nt think about that til after.:confused2 HA! But the Costco idea sounds doable. The Denver looks sweet too. Gotta go hop on some beds figure out what feels right. Thanks for the warning Tam, good luck with your dispute, I'll bring the BBQ and Koolaid.
                      “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                      -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
                        I was thinking that Temperpedic one but don't see spending $2K on a mattress. How much better could it be? BS. Anyway I was told that after $300 your not getting any better a quality in the bed.
                        Maybe true - if you still have a teen age back and are willing to replace the mattress every year. My last mattress was $1500, and worth every penny!
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY
                        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Good news...

The manager of the store has stepped in and offered an exchange for a new mattress It should happen within the next week or so, so we'll see.

Though I must admit, the thought of returning that mattress sounded like fun

Tam
                          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

There is a HUGE difference in a $300 mattress and even a $700 mattress. One of my ex-girlfriends had some huge monstrosity of a mattress that cost her upwards of $2k. I called it the "death bed". Once you laid down on it and closed your eyes...it was all over, there was no tossing or turning, no rolling around to find a comfortable position/location, it was simply the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. I used to make excuses for us to stay over at her place instead of mine, just so we could sleep in that bed as opposed to mine....which may not seem like a big deal, but she had cats, and I hate cats....but even with them there, it was still worth it.

Now, if she wasn't such a psycho hose beast, I would call her up and find out what kind of mattress it is (or see if she wanted to let me start sleeping over there again....).

the point? There is a definate quality increase as the price goes up, especially ifyou are starting at $300.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                              Good news...

The manager of the store has stepped in and offered an exchange for a new mattress It should happen within the next week or so, so we'll see.

Though I must admit, the thought of returning that mattress sounded like fun

Tam
                              Bummer....uh, I mean cool!

(he must have heard about our plans....)

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
                              X