Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, i have the old one out of there. thanks for the tips, duke.
    i'll see what i can get from the junk yards on monday. i'll know more after monday as far as when the new one will be going in.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'm off monday if you want a hand erik
      “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
      -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

hmm, i smell an engine swap writeup! i'm sure you'll get that thing fixed up nice good luck
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
          well, the price was right.
          currently my plan is to fix this thing as inexpensively, and effectively as possible, and sell it.
          i will also sell beckys jeep, and put her in a newer 6 cyl. tj with the combined money.
          thats the plan. lets see if i can get it done.
          good idea.

If I can help with the install I will. Keep us posted. :yay:
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

thank you all very much for te offers to help.
            i will hunt down an engine to put in there on monday. hopefully be able to pick it up.
            i do have a few things on the schedule for work on mon so i doubt i'll be able to get it installed.
            we'll see how it goes.
            ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
              well, i have the old one out of there. thanks for the tips, duke.
              No problem! Just give me a call when your done fu(cking around and I'll steer you in the right direction.

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

WELL, I GOT THE ENGINE IN THERE, AND THINK I AM JUST ABOUT TO A POINT WHERE I CANT DO ANY MORE BY MYSELF.
                I HAVE TO GET THE TORQUE CONVERTER BOLTS LINED UP.

I TRIED STARTING IT THIS AFTERNOON, AND IT DIDNT FIRE. I THINK IT IS VACUUM, OR ONE OF THE WIRES THAT ISNT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING.
                oops caps!

i have to pick up a few nuts and bolts to finish the assembly. i'll do that, and try to recruit someone with familiarity with these carbed engines.
                i feel like i am well past the half way point on this thing now. just tieing up the loose ends,a nd making it run.

the new engine feels nice and tight, and sounds nice while the starter is turning it.

the vacuum lines are a spaghetti factory, and many have no where to go.
                it is compounded by the fact that the old engine had a motorcraft carb mod on it, which is sopposed to be a good thing, but changes all of the vacuum line routing.

the replacement engine didnt have a carb on it, but i got the guy to give me a holley carb from another 4.2, which i soppose is a good thing, but again changes the vacuum routing, or at least eliminates a bunch of them. i do want it to be able to pass smog, so at the very least, i have to plug the many vacuum lines, and leave them in there pretending they are hooked up as they are sopposed to be?

is that the way it is done?
                LOL
                ERIK

Comment

Woo Hooo!

well, i got the bitch turned over, and started. it was just for a moment, an i still have some loose bolts, but at least i know it works.

it wouldnt start before because of some gizmo that goes onto the coil. had no spark.
                  anyway, i'll be putting whatever loose ends on there that i can do by myself, and getting this thing ready to get out of the garage.
                  ERIK

Comment

Technically in CA if you don't have the original computer controlled junker carb, it will not pass visual. However, you may get it by an unperceptive smog guy if they just want your $35. This was my issue with installing a Weber, which is what I wanted to do, but I was told by anyone I asked (including a smog guy) that it wouldn't pass smog with anything other than the Carter BBD carb on it. So then I decided to just rip all the junk that controls the Carter out. Now it runs good. Anyhoo, if you need a hand, let me know.
                    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
                    X