Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep Four wheeling competition

I posted this on Jeepforum since its a huge site, but wanted your guys opinions/idea's as well

I've been looking at CaL-RoCs website and they do have a modified stock class, But, can some one with the required equiptment, and 33s locked front and rear, actually be competive in any of these events??? I think the Jeeping/Four wheeling community needs somthing to make the sport a little more competive for the average four wheelers, I mean dont get me wrong, getting together and running the local trails with the local group is fun, but it does get old, I have been into the whole thing for a year and a half now, have over came all the trails in my area, and Im looking for somthing more, I think the four wheeling community needs somthing like they have for Autocross, you can run a completely stock vehicle in a autocross event and have a blast, now I understand this is a little more difficult than setting up cones, in a large parking lot and seeing how fast you can get through them, But why not hold events in local OHV area's easier trails for for stock vehicles and more difficult for built up jeeps, YET not having to run the same course as a Tube chassis trailer queen , try and make somthing for every one, and make it very competive. But geared more for the Ameuter level I think it would do wonders, and make it more of a sport. I know there is Jeepspeed, for the XJ guys, but I was thinking more geared for the rocks.

Im interested to hear others opinions and/or idea's on this
    Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Here is where I piss people off.

Rock "racing" should be banned from any public fourm (public land, state trust land, national parks, OHV parks, etc).

While many people enjoy this activity, it is hard on the enviroment, and to anyone unfamiliar with the "sport", it looks like a bunch of idiots out there tearing up their jeeps and the land...giving us all a bad name. It encourages others to go back to the site of the comp. after the event is over, and to reproduce the event for their beer swilling buddies, without all of the saftey rules in effect. someone will get hurt, or destroy a nice piece of land, there will be a story about it in the local paper, and the general public will have more ammunition in the war. Of course, then the state gets sued on several fronts....one from the eco-nazis for destroying public land, and another from the idiot who got hurt, for not protecting him from his own stupidity, and allowing access to such a spot. Just look at what happens every time they run thr gran prix down in long beach....some idiot reproduces the course at 3:00am, going the wrong way down one way streets, and ends up getting hurt. The off road community doesn't need this kind of publicity.

I am (obviously) not a fan of "rock racing"(they should stop calling it rock crawling because there is no crawling involved), but if someone wants to sanction a event on private land....well, it is their land, their responsibility, their liability when someone gets hurt, and therefor, their choice.

As to your question about being competitive, why not attend one of the events, talk to the guys running the class you are interested in, watch what they are doing, and then decided if you can be competitive with them?
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Goodtimes, thanks for your opinion, was'nt what I thought I was going to get, but what your saying definatley makes sense!

Comment

I like rock crawling events but goodtimes opinion is making me re-think that. On another note. A lot of events (outside of the Southwest) are going to man-made coarse (or so I read). I think this is the way to do it.

Skates, I like your idea of local competition but I do not know how it would be implemented. Who has a stock Jeep anymore?

While not the most technical driver (I really rock scrape not rock crawl) I would love to do events that would help me improve my skill and you dont have to drive for hours to get to the "fun" part. Do not get me wrong here, I do love the sencic parts that come inbetween the obstacles on a trail but sometimes I just want to go the obstacles without all the inbetween stuff.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Goodtimes.

I concur!

BTW, most people don't realize that almost ALL of the trails in the SBNF are restricted to "street legal" vehicles - which meand no rock buggies. And as the green sticker regulations for travel in the forest get tightened, it will get nothing but harder.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Skates, I like your idea of local competition but I do not know how it would be implemented. Who has a stock Jeep anymore?
            Did'nt mean stock I ment more for the average jeeper, with 33s and lockers, basically somthing for the daily driver not a trailer queen

Comment

Originally posted by skates04
              Did'nt mean stock I ment more for the average jeeper, with 33s and lockers, basically somthing for the daily driver not a trailer queen

33s and lockers is not far off from what defines SuperLift ProRock Modified Stock class. Here is the Modified Stock Class "rules" which I found on http://www.sportsintherough.com/

Modified Stock Class

Modified Stock Class is intended for well-built trail vehicles modified using readily available aftermarket parts and being street legal. Any rules or restrictions needed to maintain the spirit of this class will be implemented. The intent of Modified Stock Class is to stay within factory designs while allowing aftermarket modifications that are normal in the 4x4 recreation sport. There are no restrictions on engine, tranny, t-case, axles or suspension. Bead lock wheels are allowed.

1- Vehicle must be Titled.

2- Maximum tire size of 35" as labeled by the tire manufacturer.

3- Frame is to be OEM or direct OEM design aftermarket replacement. Frame re-enforcements are allowed.

4- Wheelbase of the vehicle must be within 2.5" of OEM. There will be zero leeway here.

5- Steering will be completely of OEM design. Hydraulic and hydraulic assist is not allowed.

6- Equipped with a winch

7- Real lockers front and rear. No limited slips

8- Seat belts or harnesses for driver and spotter

9- 2 Fire extinguishers (one for Driver & Spotter) -see Safety Rule above-

10- First Aid kit

11- Roll cage designed to keep passengers safe in the case of a multiple roll over accident

12 - Bodies must be full width of OEM. Bodywork must extend a minimum of 24" past the rear axle.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                33s and lockers is not far off from what defines SuperLift ProRock Modified Stock class. Here is the Modified Stock Class "rules" which I found on http://www.sportsintherough.com/

Modified Stock Class

Modified Stock Class is intended for well-built trail vehicles modified using readily available aftermarket parts and being street legal. Any rules or restrictions needed to maintain the spirit of this class will be implemented. The intent of Modified Stock Class is to stay within factory designs while allowing aftermarket modifications that are normal in the 4x4 recreation sport. There are no restrictions on engine, tranny, t-case, axles or suspension. Bead lock wheels are allowed.

1- Vehicle must be Titled.

2- Maximum tire size of 35" as labeled by the tire manufacturer.

3- Frame is to be OEM or direct OEM design aftermarket replacement. Frame re-enforcements are allowed.

4- Wheelbase of the vehicle must be within 2.5" of OEM. There will be zero leeway here.

5- Steering will be completely of OEM design. Hydraulic and hydraulic assist is not allowed.

6- Equipped with a winch

7- Real lockers front and rear. No limited slips

8- Seat belts or harnesses for driver and spotter

9- 2 Fire extinguishers (one for Driver & Spotter) -see Safety Rule above-

10- First Aid kit

11- Roll cage designed to keep passengers safe in the case of a multiple roll over accident

12 - Bodies must be full width of OEM. Bodywork must extend a minimum of 24" past the rear axle.
                sweet all i need is lockers, winch, roll cage and one more fire extiguisher

wow i need a lot
                Carlos

92 YJ
                GO VEGAN!
                volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

Well Im probably going to have to get a better cage and 2 fire extinguishers, go to some events this year watch and get some tips, and then give it a whirl next season.

Comment

Well Im probably going to have to get a better cage and 2 fire extinguishers, go to some events this year watch and get some tips, and then give it a whirl next season.
                    Cool, maybe MJR will sponsor you (runs and hides from sarah)

ProRock will be out at Cougar Buttes (Johnson Valley area) Sept 10-11. I went last year and will probably go again.
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

If you are interested in it, you should definately go attend some events and talk to the competitors. Then decide if it is something you want to persue. Just remember that the safety rules are there for a reason, so don't try to get around them. It is cheaper to comply than it is to have that hole in your skull patched up (not implying that you would try to get around the rules.....just giving my view of the rules).

Just to clarify my position, I am not against rock racing, I am just against holding the competitions on public land. It holds little interest for me, so I don't go to the comps, but I am no more opposed to them in theory than I am to any of the nascar races (none of which are on public land).

Old Fart, I know several people with street legal buggies (licensed and insured, no less).
                      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Rock racing and rock crawling are different. Rock crawling there is a time limit but you don't get point for speed. Rock racing, fastest wins.
                        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Rock crawling, rock racing, either one. I am on the side that as it grows as a competitive sport we will see more and more of the " Look what I can do" crowd out tearing up our public land.
                          I seems that as a sport or activity gets more mainstream, more idiots go out with no knowlwdge whatsoever of the enviroment and the proper use of equiptment.
                          That may seem harsh, but look around at how many illeagle trails have to be shut down constantly because a large group of people feel offroading means cutting your own trail. How many guys have you seen offtrail. Now we are putting rock crawling/racing on TV, and we will get those who will want to crawl every rock they see.
                          You have to look at another aspect of the arguement, teenage males and males under a certain age that have money to build something and want to show off what it can do. Add beer to that and you will get Damage to our public lands.
                          Education is the key but you will never see a guy watching a program about staying on trail, but the SURROUND SOUND will be pumping loud music as the Video of rock crawling is playing.
                          Anyway, private land and controlled events may be the answer but they also are the problem. Where are they? is a private park near everyone? Are they free to the cash strapped teenager with testosterone dripping from his crotch wanting to prove he is the baddest around?
                          censored for having an opinion

Comment

you don't need a comp. If you're bored with easy trails, set your rig up as if it were in the stock/mod class and come out to JV. we'll even time you if ya want.
                            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                            X