Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Equipment Info Please!

Probably the biggest reason we haven’t done an overnight camping trip with the jeep yet is, We Don’t Have Any Camping Gear!

So, I’d like any camping equipment information, you could give me. Also, I’m not really looking for generalizations, i.e. you need a sleeping bag, a tent, and a stove, I know that. What I’m looking for is the particulars.

Such as, there is going to be (95% of the time or more) just two of us. Should we get a 2-man tent or should we get a 3-man tent? Do we want a 3 season or a 4 season tent? What brand? Kelty, Mountain Hardware REI, Sierra Designs, or something else? What do you have/use/suggest?

What sleeping bags and temp rating do you suggest?

What sleeping pad?

Stove?

Pots and pans?

Other stuff?

Where’s a good place to buy all this stuff?

We aren’t going to be doing any backpacking, just jeep-packing FYI.

Thanks in advance,

Flywaterguide

03 TJ with a few mods.

Tent: 3-man and super easy to assemble are a must

Sleeping pad: ThermaRest Camp Rest
    This is a must-have! Very durable and overall very comfortable product. Better than an inflatable bed because they inflate on their own. (That's a REALLY GOOD PRICE TOO) Get two, and there is a strap that you can hook them together in your tent to make a queen size one. Upgrade to a thicker one if you want to shell out the dough.

Other stuff: A headlight is a really great little investment and so is a Coleman Tent light. Portable toilet! You can also get alot of little things like the tent light, camping chairs, first aid kit stuff at WalMart for a few dollars less.

I have a certain beef with REI that they DO NOT support offroading. It's not apparent when you go there, and they don't come out and say it, but if you look into it, NONE of their funds go to any vehicular sport. Stay away from REI! There are plenty of other, cheaper stores and online shops out there.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Pots and pans; i have a set(2) pots from MSR. really light weight and i keep my little stove inside them. Since you arent backpacking i still suggest MSR but you can get them in bigger sets with a frying pan and some other stuff.

Stove; again since your not backpacking you could probably go for one of those Coleman 2 burner ones that run off the green tanks. I also have on of those and it does the job just fine.

Sleeping bag; what kind of weather are you expecting? definately go mummy bag and prob with a rating of 20* or so.

Tent; we have a tent which i believe is a 4 man(Coleman) but it is just the right size for an air mattress(the big kind) and also a small Coleman cigarett lighter air pump. fits two people very nicely. unless you plan on going in the winter a 3 season tent will do just fine.
      B R E T T
      87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

I always prefer to go light ...

So get a cheap 4 man tent from Target for like $30 ... sometimes they have them for $20 (if I remember correctly).
        A couple of $6 camping chairs.
        Any sleeping bag would do ... but depends on where you're going to camp. The temp rating should be appropriate for the type of camping. In cali, I just had the one thats for 32+ and the largest I could find .. I think I paid $15 at sportsmart.

You can also get a couple of old style folding pool chairs to use as beds or air matresses if you like the comfort factor but for me those were optional. You can get the self inflating mattress pads for cheap also. They do the job fine.

That's pretty much all you need to get started. For the 1 or 2 days of camping, I could always do without the complicated foods. Either take sandwitches or I would take like cans of tuna and bread and cheese ... all you really need is water.

The only other thing I found pretty useful was a coleman lantern that runs on regular gas (fuel). And dont' forget trashbags .. lots of tem.
        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
          Tent: 3-man and super easy to assemble are a must

Sleeping pad: ThermaRest Camp Rest
          This is a must-have! Very durable and overall very comfortable product. Better than an inflatable bed because they inflate on their own. (That's a REALLY GOOD PRICE TOO) Get two, and there is a strap that you can hook them together in your tent to make a queen size one. Upgrade to a thicker one if you want to shell out the dough.

Other stuff: A headlight is a really great little investment and so is a Coleman Tent light. Portable toilet! You can also get alot of little things like the tent light, camping chairs, first aid kit stuff at WalMart for a few dollars less.

I have a certain beef with REI that they DO NOT support offroading. It's not apparent when you go there, and they don't come out and say it, but if you look into it, NONE of their funds go to any vehicular sport. Stay away from REI! There are plenty of other, cheaper stores and online shops out there.

Thanks for the great Info Sarah. Yeah... I've heard that about REI.. that they don't support off roading and, in fact, they appear to be against it. Great link to the therm-a-rest. I'll check that out.

I probably won't buy from REI... but, since they are close by, I'll probably head over there and pick their brains a bit.

FG

Jeff

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Sleeping bag = I have one rated to 0 degrees. I recommend a good cold wether bag and maybe a medium bag for the summer. I don't like being cold. I can always dress down. I got my bag at walmart for about $40.

Cooking = a good set of pots and pans will run $20-30
            s
            Stove= I have a coleman that works really great.

Every thing I have fits in a couple medium plastic boxes I picked up.
            Remember, if Jeep camping, you have to bring out what you bring in.
            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I tend to pack extremely light, and while most people would not enjoy my style of camping, it'll give you the extreme so you can see what you really NEED.

1, 4 part sleeping bag system to include a gortex bivy sack (thank you Uncle Sam)
              Water, lots of it.
              1 MRE per day.

If I'm planning on doing a lot of hiking, I'll take a couple extra pairs of socks.

I usually also pack some kind of emergency equipment like a knife, a whistle and a mirror.

That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanzo
                I tend to pack extremely light, and while most people would not enjoy my style of camping, it'll give you the extreme so you can see what you really NEED.

1, 4 part sleeping bag system to include a gortex bivy sack (thank you Uncle Sam)
                Water, lots of it.
                1 MRE per day.

If I'm planning on doing a lot of hiking, I'll take a couple extra pairs of socks.

I usually also pack some kind of emergency equipment like a knife, a whistle and a mirror.

That's it.
                That's what I was thinking... a pound of jerky, refillable water purifier, compass and a hunting knife, and I'm good!! just kidding.

for the last few years, or so, I've been "camping" in my RV. So that's consisted of connecting the TV cable and water/sewer, setting my electric blanket to the proper setting, and making sure the cabinets and be recently treated with "liquid gold".. :cocktail:

I have an 11 year old daughter, so she (and I for that matter) may require a bit higher comfort level. thanks though!

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                  Sleeping bag = I have one rated to 0 degrees. I recommend a good cold wether bag and maybe a medium bag for the summer. I don't like being cold. I can always dress down. I got my bag at walmart for about $40.

Cooking = a good set of pots and pans will run $20-30
                  s
                  Stove= I have a coleman that works really great.

Every thing I have fits in a couple medium plastic boxes I picked up.
                  Remember, if Jeep camping, you have to bring out what you bring in.
                  That's the thing with the jeep, limited space. So I don't think I need super light stuff, but space efficient and compactible. It sounds like everything fits for most people though.

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanzo

Water, lots of it.
                    1 MRE per day.

That's it.

hahaha i LOVE my 3 piece sleeping system with the Gore-Tex shell that i got issued. Im just trying to figure out how to keep it Field loss maybe... .hmmmmmm.

THe shell is great, stops water and wind which REALLY helps with warmth. the 2 other parts of the bag are great for different times of the year. Its getting colder over here so i am switching to my black bag (i was using the green part) when i have to sleep outside, and the green when im inside. THe only time i HAD to use all three was in Ft Polk, LA in the middle of the winter. Man was that terrible.

You should definately get a Colman 2 burner stove that runs on propane like JeepJunkie said. We use it all the time when we go camping. Also i would get a Colman Propane lantern. I like the propane stuff better because you can get it refilled, its easier to transport, and its not as messy as other fuel.

Citronella (sp?) candles are great to keep the bugs away. We also used to take our own firewood. But that was cause we took down our wooden fence and had a wall put up, so we were just trying to get rid of the stuff haha. I wouldnt suggest it. Some people get small propane heaters, but to me, it takes the fun out of it being cold and having to get in the sleeping bags or wear your cold weather gear.

You should also take 550cord. a few hunderd feet. you can get it at any military surplus store. Its great for clothes lines or hanging up stuff or fixing things around the campsite. And duct tape, always have duct tape.

thats about all i can think of.

-Fred
                    '91 YJ 4.0L
                    33x12.5 BFG A/T
                    A bunch of random aftermarket parts that are being replaced once i get back from Iraq!!

Comment

this is a great thread. i dont know how i missed it.
                      a great place to get some entry level camping gear is costco. they have some great equipment there at fantastic prices. i use an air matress that i bought there. nothing beats their return policy either
                      you can equip yourself there for about 150 bucks. there will be a few odds and ends that you'll have to get elsewhere.
                      i use the costco sleeping bags as well. i think it is 15*
                      never any real problem, but sometiomes it is a bit chilly out there.
                      as far as tents go... you dont want to be too cheap on those. the one costco offer, i think it is a wenger brand, is very nice. i believe it is a 3 season tent.it has extra poles to withstand the winds you get in the desert, and mountains. the cheapie tents with the fiberglass poles really dont do well at all in the wind. you wont be sleeping much, because the tent will be laying over on your face
                      i just picked up a tent heater today. this thing looks like it will be great.
                      i'll let you know how it works out.
                      OOOH by the way, there is a sale at sport mart right now.... any one item, you get 25% off.
                      i had sport chalet match that deal for my new heater. it is a coleman pro heater.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Here's a neat idea if ya hate messin' with tent poles and setup. . .

http://www.airzonerecreation.com/products/index.htm

They're inflatable with either an portable air compressor or CO2 tank.

I'm a direct dealer of both AirZone and Inflation Zone recreational products, so just pm me with any questions. . .

Order Toll Free: 800.838.9526
                        *VISA*MC*DISC*AMEX*

Comment

Remember on the bag (like Al said) you can always dress down. It's easier to add stuff than it is to take it away. I'd go with a nice 30-40 degree oversized mummy, and a couple of fleece liners. 1 fleece liner takes it down to 20-30 and 2 take it down even further. (that's what I'd like to do, but I got a 0 degree bag for free, so I'm using that mostly)

You get what you pay for. I bought a cheap tent and it went on two trips with me before the fabric tore and the zipper broke. I prefer ultra-simple for car/Jeep camping. I get all complex and ultralight only when backpacking.
                          I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                          1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

It took a while to get to this point...but it works for us, whether its two of us going, or four (with the kids). This pretty much goes with us on every trip. We keep everything together in one place so its ready when we are.

I measured the interior of the Jeep without the rear seat...and got two plastic tubs with covers that can either sit side by side or stack one on top of another. I try to get all the dry food stuff and sundries in one, and all the cooking and dishes, stove, pot and pan, etc in the other. We have a pretty cool camping case with silverware and utensils in it. Got it really cheap at Walmart. I like it cause I know if Im missing something and go in search of it.

We have a Coleman stove with one burner and a one grill (works great for BBQing) its the same one that Igofshn has. Erik got one too...It also has a griddle attachement (thankyou Erik ) I also have porcelain over steel dishes, bowls, cups and coffeepot. The less trash I make, the less I have to carry out Dont forget environmentally friendly dish soap and a sponge I usually just open the tailgate and thats my kitchen. I set the grill there, and cook I wouldnt suggest this if you have a hardtop. be sure that you have adequate ventilation when cooking...and that the fire extinguisher is handy for any big flareups (Ive never had a problem.)

some medium duty sleeping bags, that can be machine washed. We usually bring a blankie as well to cuddle up in front of the fire with

airmattress...Why would ANYONE sleep on rocks if they had a choice?

large cooler and a small one to take with us on the the trail.

enough chairs for everyone to sit on.

A simple first aid kit

a cheap camp shower (solar)

Towels...that we arent afraid to abuse...and we do.

Lantern. Honestly, flashlights just dont cut it to use when cooking in the dark.

We have an awesome Wenger tent that we got at Costco...its sleeps two...with a bunch of room to spare. The girls have a cheap Walmart tent.

aside from a change of clothes for each day, a coat, sweatshirt and extra socks...bring an extra set of shoes too. Flip flop sandles are great for quick trips out of the tent to go to the lake or bathroom (not at the same time )

If there are no potties available...be sure to bring something to pack out your poop in.

This all fits nicely in the back of the Jeep. When we have four of us going, we take two Jeeps, and we still have plenty of room.

HTH

Tam
                            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

This is my camping equipment - LOL

Okay if you are tent camping then I guess that does not apply.

Tent rule of thumb A 4-man tent really means 3 people and gear.

You will need drinking water and cooking water.

Sleeping bag and thermal pad. Buy them for the temp you will be camping in. If you plan on camping in below freezing weather occasionally then you will need 2 bags. An extreme cold bag in the spring will not work as you will sweat like a banshee.

Plan out your menu and figure out what you need to cook the food. This keeps you from packing too much food and too much cooking utensils. Highly recommend a 12 inch dutch oven. Very wide range of cooking can be done in it. Pizza, bread, deserts, you name it you can probably cook it in it.

Charcoal, charcoal starter, newspaper.

Don't forget to pack something to clean up with and eat off of.

1 bag chair per person and what ever creature comfort stuff you think you will want. I would sacrifice the CC stuff if you are low on space.

The pots and pans, I would not go buy new just for camping. Take your existing or upgrade your daily use stuff and make your old stuff your new camping gear. We just did this and now our kitchen is sportin a new set of Calphalon. Wish I would have bought Calphalon a long time ago, they would have paid for themselves by now.
                              Last edited by Venomized; 11-12-04, 08:07 AM.
                              It's a Jeep thing, my wife doesn't understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X