Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since we're on the topic, anyone here ever had the delight of humping and using a shelter half?

Comment

Originally posted by Hanzo
      Since we're on the topic, anyone here ever had the delight of humping and using a shelter half?
      I've never humped a shelter half, nor (obviously) have I used one... I have humped some things I've used.... j/k I don't even know what a "shelter half" is... I guess half of some shelter?

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Eh...some might call it that. It is literally half of a pup tent. It's big piece of green canvas and every man carries one. If you snap two of them together, assemble the poles and stake them down, you have a little tent. They date back to the civil war. Apparently they really helped back when you didn't have good quality sleeping bags, but these days they're pointless and just add extra weight to your pack. Thats why, when we had to carry them, we referred to them as hazing halfs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanzo

Yes, i have had the WONDERFUL joy of humping a shelter half along with the 65lbs of other senseless gear they made us take on FTXs. They really suck when they get wet. They are supposed to be somewhat waterproof, but the older ones suck up the water. Try makeing all your gear wet and then humping it. Boy does that start to suck quickly. I also hated how allllllll the tents had to be dress-right-dress. UGGG. You dont really do that anymore, so why make us do it in training. Train how you fight they say. haha ok you have got me on a rant, well i got myself on a rant

ok thats enough from me.

oh, an e-tool, or collapsable shovel works great. doesnt take up much room but can add weight. If you arent humping, it doesnt matter.

Fred
          '91 YJ 4.0L
          33x12.5 BFG A/T
          A bunch of random aftermarket parts that are being replaced once i get back from Iraq!!

Comment

Shelter halfs suck. Better off just wrapping up in the poncho and liner on the ground.

I have not done that much though. I am Field Artillery so I just curl up in the truck or behind the fire direction center.

Check out the MJR writeup inspired from this thread:
            http://www.myjeeprocks.com/feature/jeep_camping.php
            Last edited by sarah; 08-26-05, 02:17 PM.
            It's a Jeep thing, my wife doesn't understand.

Comment

Working...
            X