• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Chris: Hehe, point taken, but in towing especially downhills, the tranny counts for a lot too. Either way it looks like a Dodge or (as they say in TX) a Fo-ad is a good bet. Hoping that there will be some dealer incentives on the new trucks or some lightly used trucks for sale in the near future!

Chris_L: you don't have any other 2 year old Fords with 23K miles lying around that you might want to part with do ya?

Tommy: how's that Allison tranny holding up? Any problems with the IFS?

Thanks for the info all!
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Hi,

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD, with the 8.1 (gas) engine, Allison tranny, with the 4.10 locking rear end. I have about 50K on it. I haven't had any problems towing with it whatsoever, and I tow a 26 ft. 5th wheel. The Allison tranny is worth every dime, and much better than anything Ford or Dodge have.

If you're going to be driving/towing between here and Utah, I'd go with the Chevy hands down.

Best,
        Flywaterguide

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

You had mentioned that the used diesels seemed high in price. From what I understand that is because the motor if properly maintained will outlast the vehicle and the diesel motor is not a cheap option as original equipment.

With a gas powered vehicle, you should be leary of anything over 100K on the odometer. With a diesel, 100K is not much. My father-in-law traded in a 92 Cummins Dodge with the Banks turbo upgrade for his current 01. I think he got $8000 on trade. The 92 lasted on the dealer lot for less than 1 week and it had 125K when he traded it.

If the truck is in good shape 60 - 100K is nothing for a diesel.
          It's a Jeep thing, my wife doesn't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69

That picture has been around for how long now?....oh ya, almost 5 years. Like nothing has changed in the world of diesel performance in that time period.
            ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
            00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
            97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Well, one thing that has changed is the Chevy motor. I don't know who produced the 6.2, but Izuzu makes the Duramax. It's a completely different motor (also 6.6L now).

JM, the IFS isn't an issue for me since I have no intentions of "off-roading" the truck The sandy wash to dry means lake is about as trecherous as this truck should ever see. IMO, IFS is only a problem if you're looking for good off-road performance. On-road the IFS is better than a solid front axle (smoother ride).

One statistic I learned when I was shopping (fall of '03) was this:
              Ford inspects 1 of every 10 trucks produced
              Dodge inspects 1 of every 5
              GM inspects 1 of every 2

I understand that Ford is finally offering a 5 speed automatic. I don't think it's in the same class as the Allison, but they're getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
                That picture has been around for how long now?....oh ya, almost 5 years. Like nothing has changed in the world of diesel performance in that time period.
                well, 3 years 3 months and 16 days if we are going to split hairs. I'll see if I can find a new one.
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

well, I found this one.

Oh, and this:

I'm a little biased, ya see. All I own are Chrysler Corp vehicles.

I will say that they are right about tha Allison Tranny. Its a damn good transmission. As long as I can remember, Ford has had problems with their trannys . . . not sure about these. The pre 03 Dodge trannys we not the best either, they have just come out with the 48-rh 4 speed which is suppose to handle the 600 foot pounds just fine.
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Ford's all-new 6.0-liter Power Stroke® Diesel was named one of 2003's "10 Best" engines by Ward's AutoWorld, a premier automotive industry magazine.

"Ward's '10-Best' is the top award in the industry recognizing engines. To be the only diesel chosen by Ward's, in a year with such tough competition, makes this award even more special."
                    Dave Szczupak, Vice President, Powertrain Operations, Ford Motor Company.

"The new Power Stroke is a remarkable convergence of state-of-the-art turbo-diesel technology,"

"The fact that an engine designed for the medium-duty pickup segment can be a Ward's 10 Best Engine winner - alongside some of the world's most sophisticated and refined passenger-vehicle engines - speaks volumes about the intense engineering that's gone into the all-new Power Stroke.

"We congratulate Ford and its teammate, International Engine Corp., for developing the all-new Power Stroke," Visnic added. "It is a world-class engine that improves upon its best-selling predecessor its in almost every way."
                    Bill Visnic, Senior Technical Editor, Ward's AutoWorld, Editor of Ward's Engine Update.

Visnic added that Ward's testers found it significant that the new 6.0-liter Power Stroke provides class-leading torque and diesel horsepower figures despite a 1.3-liter displacement reduction compared to the previous-generation Power Stroke. He said the six editor-judges were particularly impressed that the new Power Stroke's outstanding performance is achieved while simultaneously improving fuel economy and reducing NOx emissions.

"The new Power Stroke is a major step forward in diesel technology for our truck customers. We are extremely proud that International and Ford have won this prestigious award."
                    Dick Fotsch, President of International Engine Group, an operating company of Navistar International Corporation.

The new 6.0-liter Power Stroke Diesel V-8 is available on Ford F-250 through Ford F-550 Super Duty pickups and chassis cabs, as well as the Ford Excursion. Mated with a new optional TorqShiftTM 5-speed automatic transmission, the new 32-valve diesel engine produces 560 lbs. ft. of best-in-class torque and 325 best-in-class diesel horsepower.

With the new TorqshiftTM 5-speed automatic all electro-mechanical shifts are optimized with pure electronic shift controls for more responsiveness. When the convenient "tow/haul mode is selected, unwanted gear-search on steep grades is eliminated.

Ford sells more Power Stroke Diesels than Dodge and GM combined. The Powerstroke leads the market in its segment (over 8,500 lbs. GVWR). Since August, Ford has received more than 50,000 orders for vehicles equipped with the new engine.
                    00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                    97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

whoohooo!!! a good old fashioned Ford v. Dodge pissing match

basically, its sounds to me like you can't go wrong choosing any of the big 3's diesel pickups. just pick the one you like driving the best and has the comfiest seats and you'll be fine

that being said, dodge really needs to have their designers drawn & quartered

Comment

Now kiddies, don't not let the big rod scare you... This is analogous to comparing a Chevy 350 piston and rod to a Jeep I-6. A 350 piston is 4.00 inches diameter, about 0.1 larger than a stock 4.2L Jeep I-6. The Jeep rods are 2.095" main journal dia vs. 350 2.1". Piston journals are 0.912" on the Jeep and 0.927" on the 350. Why then, you ask, does a mildly built 350 tuned port make 385 ft-lb vs the Jeep's potential of only around 300 ft-lb, and only then after the stroke is increased??? Well, it's because for the same displacement an I-6 will see much higher piston and rod loads because there are 2 less cylinders... So they MUST be designed larger, not simply because they wanted the engine to last longer, and in fact the I-6 will ACTUALLY experience much higher piston and rod loads. This picture has been around for so long that I swear Dodge themselves must have spawned the ignorance that follows this thing around...

There - is it a fight now???

lol

basically, its sounds to me like you can't go wrong choosing any of the big 3's diesel pickups.
                        I wholeheartedly agree. They each have advantages and disadvantages...
                        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

thats ok, I wont let it rest. Its the samething as "The Chevy 350 is the best engine ever made" Bullcrap!

I hate you all

Edit: I forgot to add If I put quotes around everything does that make it true?

Edit Again: Oh yeah, FORD SUCK and CHEVY isnt much better.
                          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I have a 2000 Ford F350 with 105,000 miles only 1 small electric relay went out. I bought it new and plan on driving it to 250K. My last ford diesel I drove for 224K and sold it to a fireman and have seen it many times on the road since then. Tons of power and 16 MPG on a 4x4 one ton is not bad
                            The dodge cummins is a great motor and may get better MPG- only it is in a Mopar Body. I would not mind driving one I would just have to park out in the Back out of sight.

T
                            456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

thats ok, I wont let it rest. Its the samething as "The Chevy 350 is the best engine ever made" Bullcrap!

4.0, 350, and the 318. Best motors ever made. And dont tell me that the hemi thing is a big deal cause almost every car made today has a hemi.........

Comment

Edit Again: Oh yeah, FORD SUCK and CHEVY isnt much better.
                                ...and which tow rig do you currently own again? I cant remember. :confused:
                                00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                                97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X