X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is REI against offroaders?

From another post:

Originally Posted by goodtimes
    Just be aware that REI spends a ton of money every year in efforts to close down motorized ohv trails. They believe that if you want to see the back country, you should do it on foot, or on a bike.

Does anyone have any info on this? I tried searching the internet for anything that would support this, and have come up with nothing tangible. This would be a good reason to stop shopping there, and pass the word along to others too.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

REI donated money to the National Forest Foundation: http://www.rei.com/aboutrei/conservation02.html

who in turn feels that "The most widespread ecological implications from recreation include: ... Increased air and water pollution from off-highway vehicles (OHVs)." http://www.natlforests.org/recreation_damage.html

Read between the lines a bit and you can tell they (the national forest foundation) don't particularly like motorized recreation. Some of the other recipients of REI's grants have "partnered" with firms such as the Sierra Club.

OTOH, REI also supports access for recreation such as climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, etc., since that's what they sell! Of course, the Sierra Club opposes all of those. Basically if someone like the Sierra Club got their way, REI would go out of business, so they're pretty moderate about who they donate to- directly, at least.
    Last edited by cbremer; 08-12-04, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I'd have to look for the link, but on the REI site there is information about what they do with the $$$ they make, who they support, etc. I'll try to find it tomorrow since I just got called into work early (again).
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

They're pretty widespread with their dough. It's not about being against offroading, its more about being for outdoor recreation. Its a fine line, but you gotta identify that they're not campaigning against offroaders they're donating to a group that does. What the group also does is encourage people to get off their asses and get in the woods, just not in Jeeps necessarily.
        I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
        1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

REI may not intend to be against off-roaders, but by strongly supporting the Sierra Club as they have, they end up helping to close off land to OHV's and bicycles. REI has been affiliated with the Sierra Club for many years now. As such, I view them as part of an evil empire. I know I may take my personal feelings a little far, but what else can you think about groups who put bicycles in the same classification as buses, dumptrucks and 4x4's?
          It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
          and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

I hate the sierra club!
            That's it, I'm going on an official rampage! More to come soon

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
              I hate the sierra club!
              Uh-oh. What did I start with that one little statement?

I looked around for the list of "affiliates" that REI used to have on its site, but can't find it anymore....
              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I hate the sierra club!
                Quick, Rick! Lock up the guns and booze!
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                  Quick, Rick! Lock up the guns and booze!
                  too late!!
                  < evil laugh >
                  , aaah, the power of the internet.

Comment

too late!!
                    < evil laugh >
                    , aaah, the power of the internet.

Uh oh, Sarah hacked into someone's site.... maybe we should start getting some bail money together.
                    [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
                    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMT
                      Uh oh, Sarah hacked into someone's site.... maybe we should start getting some bail money together.
                      hahaha, actually TRAVELAR is the hacker!! go get him! oops, i mean, uh ... HAHA. ok i feel like blktj posting dumb stuff all late OOPS AGAIN!! ROFL

Comment

:yay:
                        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                        X