Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeep just for wheelin

bought a new dodge pick-up couple of weeks ago,so its time for the jeep to become my"wheelin only vehicle" :haha: I now also have a tow vehicle.I'm thinking of chopping the roof off after the back seat,and cutting up the front doors to make half doors.I'd also like to do a full cage.1st thing I'll need to do is set up a tow bar.Now is when the fun can really begin.
    95 GC 4.5 RE,adjustable UCA/LCA,32's,456's,tru-trac up front,trac-lock rear,and other goodies

:shade:

Comment

Originally posted by scubatch
      bought a new dodge pick-up couple of weeks ago,so its time for the jeep to become my"wheelin only vehicle" :haha: I now also have a tow vehicle.I'm thinking of chopping the roof off after the back seat,and cutting up the front doors to make half doors.I'd also like to do a full cage.1st thing I'll need to do is set up a tow bar.Now is when the fun can really begin.

Dayum!!! What kind of dodge?!?!?
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I am jelous! One Day.......

have fun with you official toy!
        Supe
        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
        Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

before you start cutting up that zj, sell it and buy a used TJ that you can beat up.

congrats on the truck.
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I have to agreee with brian on that comment. If you decide to cut up the ZJ, one thing to consider is you will have to have a full cage welded inside and mounted to the unibody BEFORE removing the roof, doors etc. With the unibody, if you cut the roof off without reinforcing the uniframe with a cage, everything will be out of wack. ie; bent and twisted. Jeff, in the long run, {and I am speakiing from a lot of personal experience} You would be better off selling the ZJ as it is and investing in a 97-up Tj. Just my opinion. Also you would need a lot of experience with a mig gun and plasma cutter to do what you are saying with your ZJ. Best thing to do would be to find a wrecked or slightly rolled TJ that runs well with low miles and start your build up from there.
            ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
            00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
            97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
              I have to agreee with brian on that comment. If you decide to cut up the ZJ, one thing to consider is you will have to have a full cage welded inside and mounted to the unibody BEFORE removing the roof, doors etc. With the unibody, if you cut the roof off without reinforcing the uniframe with a cage, everything will be out of wack. ie; bent and twisted. Jeff, in the long run, {and I am speakiing from a lot of personal experience} You would be better off selling the ZJ as it is and investing in a 97-up Tj. Just my opinion. Also you would need a lot of experience with a mig gun and plasma cutter to do what you are saying with your ZJ. Best thing to do would be to find a wrecked or slightly rolled TJ that runs well with low miles and start your build up from there.
              I hear you,but with the new baby and all money is kind of tight.So for know I will just have to do what I can.If look up swamp boy on nagca you will see what I ment on cutting the roof.He said he doesn't have any problems.The full cage is the 1st step.This may not happen for a while but it is the plan.
              95 GC 4.5 RE,adjustable UCA/LCA,32's,456's,tru-trac up front,trac-lock rear,and other goodies

Comment

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.... think about what your doing here.

Your building a toy...

To do what???

Miller? Rowher? Last Chance? Big Bear? Calico?

or...

Rubicon? Dusy? Prichett? Behind the Rocks? Potato salad? Helldorado(s)? dare we mention JV?

even cut to sh@t, your ZJ will only get you so far. Think about transfer case, think about tire size, think about a frame.

salvage what you can off your current rig... control arms, shocks etc... and put them on a TJ with 35s. You won't be sorry.

That's all, I just had to try one more time. :yay:
                myJeeprocks.com

Comment

I hate to agree, but I think I have to

Turn the ZJ back to stock and use it for DD and/or family duties, or sell it. Get a TJ and shove some junk on it, and start bouncing off the rocks! I hate the fact that I'm talking someone out of building a XJ or ZJ, but I've been there. I miss my XJ, but at the same time I dont miss it!
                  Last edited by Dukes69; 08-05-04, 12:17 PM.
                  [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                  SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

:cry: Damn guy's,I may just have to post this on NAGCA to get some possitive feedback.You guys just wait.I know deep in my heart my ZJ will follow you tj guys anyware.Thats with 3 pass. and a dog,cooler,tools,camping stuff,ect .

Comment

COOL! Go for it!

and goodluck

Tam
                      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

You guys just wait.I know deep in my heart my ZJ will follow you tj guys anyware.Thats with 3 pass. and a dog,cooler,tools,camping stuff,ect .
                        You forgot to mention leather seats with warmers, 7 speaker/CD changer, and AC. 'Course you also forgot to mention the NP-242 and Dana 35C.:tongue:

Jeff, wheel your ZJ until it snaps in half and then part it out and get yerself whatever the hell you want. It's a unibody and it'll never last forever, so who cares.

The Missus and I would be delighted to go wheeling with you when the ZJ finally gives up the ghost. Then you can buy an XJ and stick 35's under that . Just make sure you carry around a spare tranny shifter cable in the back for good luck!

The luxury of having a Jeep Any-J as a toy is the piece of mind knowing that you can wheel it to your heart's content, even if it gets so banged up that you've lost the rear glass, can't close the doors completely and have to hammer the roof out of the passenger compartment.

Have a great time with your buildup, but don't let it get in the way of going wheeling with us!
                        Last edited by jmbrowning; 08-05-04, 10:16 PM.
                        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

:cry: Damn guy's,I may just have to post this on NAGCA to get some possitive feedback.You guys just wait.I know deep in my heart my ZJ will follow you tj guys anyware.Thats with 3 pass. and a dog,cooler,tools,camping stuff,ect .
                          I doubt it, but you sure can try.
                          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

If you want to follow us to Johnson Valley, you will have to shorten the wheelbase a bit and get better approach and departure angles for the bumpers....Oh and make it skinnier also, just cut about 6" out of the center of the whole vehicle and that should work.

I did like the photo you sent me of the idea your thinking about for the zj!
                            ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                            00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                            97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Jeff, do what you want of course, like ted said, have fun and go wheelin.
                              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X