Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMail from Google... This is insane!

I was invited to Beta Test Googles new GMail. Check out the size of the standard mailbox!!! WOOT!!!

From the invitation email:

First off, welcome. And thanks for agreeing to help us test Gmail. By now you probably know the key ways in which Gmail differs from traditional webmail services. Searching instead of filing. A free gigabyte of storage. Messages displayed in context as conversations.
    Erik

I fix things.

dang is that going to be free?
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

i just heard that they
      :they serve ads in your email based on the content of your email:

Comment

Free is the current word, according to everything I've read on the site about it. And yes, there will be some ads from what I am reading, but they will be off to one side in the current Google style. Will post a S2 if you wanna see the ad layout.
        Erik

I fix things.

Comment

I don't really like the name "Gmail." LOL
          Sure post away!

My question is, didn't they just have "erik@gmail.com," I mean you've got to be one of the first people to be able to sign up!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
            My question is, didn't they just have "erik@gmail.com," I mean you've got to be one of the first people to be able to sign up!
            This really pissed me off. Usernames must be between 6 and 30 characters. THIRTY FREAKING CHARACTERS LONG. Who the hell is gonna mail someone with 30 letters in their email address?

So I had to settle. Bastards!
            Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Here you can see the addspace off to the right-hand side.

Erik

I fix things.

Comment

http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/
                this is an interesting read....
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Oooo... very good information Erik. Thanks!

Not that I planned on using this for much, but I thought the 1GB was cool... and I never turn down testing something, because if I can't break it, it can't be broke.
                  Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Too bad you can't just use that 1GB to host pics.
                    [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
                    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

Oooh that is CREEPY!

Comment

yikes!!! no gmail responses from me.
                        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I bet Gmail would reject MJR subscribed thread emails LOL

Comment

I've been using Gmail for a fortnight now and I really love the ability to search my messages for content. The address book, spellcheck, and search features make it feel like a native client rather than a webclient. Most importantly, though is the ability to apply "labels" to threads. Rather than throw a thread into a single mailbox, I can apply multiple and varying degrees of granularity for my individual threads. One conversation can have all labels of "family", "Mom", "reunion". By doing so, I can easily pull appropriate messages out of my GB of storage. What I'd like to see however is Boolean searches such as "family" AND "reunion" NOT "no good brother-in-law". I've already put in a request for this to the folks at Gmail.

Gmail also really changes the landscape of free email. Yahoo and MSN have been going after Google's territory of "Go To" site to find stuff on the email, especially after Yahoo dumped Google as it's search engine. Google has placed a shot across Yahoo and MSN's bow with Gmail. I bet most of what keeps people using Yahoo and MSN is the free email and content hosting services (Geocities/Groups).

Google has positioned itself to become THE Portal of the 21st century. Essentially unlimited email searchable by one of the best search engines. Free updatable web content accounts via Blogger (this also has groupware functionality much like BBS/forums programs where multiple individuals can contribute). Geocities can't even begin to compete with PhotoBlogger or AudioBlogger. Google leverages decades worth of Usenet archives (DejaNews acquisition) with Google Groups. Yahoo groups is closed and not searchable. Professional level searches by human researchers. Automatic news searches (found about the roll-over CJ accident in Orange County on news.google.com).

I have been using Gmail. There is nothing anymore creepy about it than using plain old Google. Yes, there is a cookie for Google. Yes, the Google cookie remains resident unless you clear it. Yes, the Google cookie gets sent with each search. Big F'ing Deal. Adsense checks all searches and comes up with appropriate ads. No human screener.

The Fuss About Gmail and Privacy: Nine Reasons Why It's Bogus

Bottom line: Any email that you send from your desktop host that DOESN'T go directly to the recipients desktop host is susceptible to capture, scanning, and storage. Earthlink probably does hourly backups on its mailservers in addition to redundant disk arrays to ensure delivery. If you really are concerned about privacy, use encryption software along with anonymous remailers all the time for every email.

BTW, I have one Gmail invitation left. If any naysayers are willing to ignore the FUD (probably spread by Micro$loth and Yahoo) and give it a try, just post your request here. Don't PM me.
                            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

I've got a gmail account also and really like it a lot. It's a lot easier to keep up with past emails and the storage space is crazy!
                              www.allterraindecals.com

Comment

Working...
                              X