Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrangler Unlimited??

Here is a random thought for you all...I have one question concerning the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited...WHY???

Is it just me, or does this strike anyone else as a vehicle without a market? I mean, if you need more room for your "stuff" (wuss) then why not just buy a Liberty or Cherokee? Wranglers (CJs, YJs, TJs) are meant to be short wheelbase. I believe this has been ordained by God himself. I think the longer wheelbase diminishes the vehicles very "Jeep-ness" sort of like Austin Powers losing his "Mojo." If it ain't broke, don't fix it! My apologies to anyone who owns an Unlimited...

Well I am in the target market as a jeepchick who loves her Wrangler but has 2 growing kids that are getting way too big for the backseat I personally cant wait to get one....as soon as the present Jeep allows the $ to do so
    There's mud out there, and it's calling my name!!!

Comment

Having the same 103 inch wheelbase as the much loved CJ-8 Scrambler, I think the Unlimited has a definite advantage in wheeling places where the extra wheelbase would help. I personally could do without the overhang/departure angle, but that is easily fixed with a Sawzall.

The Missus' Cherokee climbs up ledges a lot better than my short-arm TJ can. The breakover angle problem is ameliorated by a 5.5" suspension lift and 33's.

I am fairly confident that, when the solid front-axle Jeeps are all finally discontinued by DC, the Wrangler Unlimiteds will be highly desirable for buildups, perhaps even more so than the 93" wheelbase TJ's.

Just for the record, stock specs for 2004:

Rubicon
      approach angle 44.9 degrees
      breakover angle 25.4 degrees
      departure angle 33.9 degrees
      rear overhang 35.2 inches
      turning diameter 34.9 feet

Unlimited
      approach angle 44.2 degrees
      breakover angle 22.2 degrees
      departure angle 28.6 degrees
      rear overhang 40.2 inches
      turning diameter 36 feet

All that technical stuff said, DC is releasing the Unlimited to expand sales of this fairly specialized (and last of a kind) motor vehicle to families. I think the Wrangler and Land Rovers are the last of the solid front axle SUV's out there. If DC doesn't see wrangler sales go up, they will probably kill the wrangler and go to an IFS model much as they did with the WJ to WK changeover.
      Last edited by jmbrowning; 06-08-04, 10:20 AM.
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

If it weren't for that damned car dash in there I'd buy one tomorrow. Climb out from under the rock and look at all the stretch wheelbase rigs out there.
        I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Re: Wrangler Unlimited??

Originally posted by timbo31771
          Here is a random thought for you all...I have one question concerning the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited...WHY???

Is it just me, or does this strike anyone else as a vehicle without a market? I mean, if you need more room for your "stuff" (wuss) then why not just buy a Liberty or Cherokee? Wranglers (CJs, YJs, TJs) are meant to be short wheelbase. I believe this has been ordained by God himself. I think the longer wheelbase diminishes the vehicles very "Jeep-ness" sort of like Austin Powers losing his "Mojo." If it ain't broke, don't fix it! My apologies to anyone who owns an Unlimited...
          The Cherokee isnt wuss. I think the unlimited it great, jeep is finally listening to what we have been saying. We wanted a cherokee that has a frame and a removeable top. And bingo, jeep gives us another CJ8. Which is beautiful. Sure the top looks a little funky, but it will grow on you. Plus, with that added wheelbase you can run larger tires and still have a vehicle that handles good enough to be a daily driver. I'll bet with a long arm lift kit and 37's the unlimited would still handle good. Do that to a wranger and it needs a trailer.

Comment

I must admit, it does look pretty goofy and the rear end looks like it hangs over a ton, but i agree with sully its a "cherokee" with a frame and remoevable top. I personally dont want one......but there is a CJ8 that i drive by alot when going to a friends house that is just sitting in the driveway; a little rusty on the hood, with a hard top and its always behind trash cans which leads me to belive its never driven and is calling my name....now i would love to get my hands on that!!
            B R E T T
            87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

If ya'll remember the cj6 was just an extended cj7. It only lasted a couple years,
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                If ya'll remember the cj6 was just an extended cj7. It only lasted a couple years,
                Ive only heard of it, never seem one.
                B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                  The breakover angle problem is ameliorated by a 5.5" suspension lift and 33's...
                  That was such a big word, I had to look it up!

"a·mel·io·rate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-mly-rt)
                  tr. & intr.v. a·me·lio·rat·ed, a·me·lio·rat·ing, a·me·lio·rates
                  To make or become better; improve. See Synonyms at improve."

And there you go!
                  2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                  Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

What about the old CJ-4?? the extended CJ-3???
                    B R E T T

Comment

I'd like to have a 100" wheel base in my TJ in the future. The wheelbase is the most, but not onle thing, I miss about my XJ. Just becuase a Jeep Vehicle doesnt have a short wheelbase or round headlights, doesnt mean its not a Jeep!
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I'll try to do this nicely. Time for a history lesson. The CJ-6 existed a LONG TIME before the CJ-7, hence why it has the earlier number. The CJ-8 was an extended CJ-7. The CJ-6 was an extended CJ-5. It started life in 1956. One year after the CJ-5 was born. It was 101" wheelbase from '56 until '71, in 1972, it went to 103.3 or so, until 1976 when it was discontinued in the US. In 1977, the CJ-7 was born. In 1981 the CJ-8 was born, which was more or less the new CJ-6. Two ways to easily identify the CJ-6; 1. it has the same door openings as the CJ-6, 2. It does not have a large rear overhang like the CJ-8.

As for the CJ-4, there is only one known to be still existing. It was not a long wheelbase CJ. It was the CJ in between the flat fenders and the round fenders. It was not an extended CJ-3A or 3B. There were actually extended version of the CJ-3.

Here is a pic of the CJ-4.

Here is a thread i posted on it a while back http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...=&threadid=353

I would love to have an Unlimited, seeing as how the CJ-6 is my favorite of all CJs, and it definitely resembles one, with its minimal rear overhang. Doesn't look much like a CJ-8 in my opinion.

There is your History lesson. There have been plenty of LWB Jeeps throughout their existence. The extended CJ-3s, Willys Pickups, Willys Wagons, The FC-170, CJ-6, Jeepsters, CJ-8, XJ, Grand Cherokee, and now the Unlimited. LWB Jeeps have never diminished the "Jeep-ness", just like neither did square headlights.

Erik

Comment

ooooo history can actually be fun, who would have thought!?!?
                          B R E T T

Comment

Thanks Erik!
                            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
                              I'll try to do this nicely. Time for a history lesson. The CJ-6 existed a LONG TIME before the CJ-7, hence why it has the earlier number. The CJ-8 was an extended CJ-7. The CJ-6 was an extended CJ-5. It started life in 1956. One year after the CJ-5 was born. It was 101" wheelbase from '56 until '71, in 1972, it went to 103.3 or so, until 1976 when it was discontinued in the US. In 1977, the CJ-7 was born. In 1981 the CJ-8 was born, which was more or less the new CJ-6. Two ways to easily identify the CJ-6; 1. it has the same door openings as the CJ-6, 2. It does not have a large rear overhang like the CJ-8.

As for the CJ-4, there is only one known to be still existing. It was not a long wheelbase CJ. It was the CJ in between the flat fenders and the round fenders. It was not an extended CJ-3A or 3B. There were actually extended version of the CJ-3.

Here is a pic of the CJ-4.

Here is a thread i posted on it a while back http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...=&threadid=353

I would love to have an Unlimited, seeing as how the CJ-6 is my favorite of all CJs, and it definitely resembles one, with its minimal rear overhang. Doesn't look much like a CJ-8 in my opinion.

There is your History lesson. There have been plenty of LWB Jeeps throughout their existence. The extended CJ-3s, Willys Pickups, Willys Wagons, The FC-170, CJ-6, Jeepsters, CJ-8, XJ, Grand Cherokee, and now the Unlimited. LWB Jeeps have never diminished the "Jeep-ness", just like neither did square headlights.

Erik
                              Good lesson. I prefer the cj8 and wished they would have made a return instead of the unlimited.
                              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Working...
                              X