This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beadlocks

are beadlocks truely illegal? if so why? ive heard that they are illegal and i was just readin something about how there is no specific law about em. Im just confused can anyone clear the legality of them up for me?
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

No they aren't illegal. They just are not DOT approved because they have not set any standards for them.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

ok, so a cop wouldnt ticket someone who was running them?
      B R E T T
      87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

If they are not DOT approved, doesn't that more or less make them illegal. Just like Hydraulic steering, it's not DOT Approved, therefore illagal for street use.

There is only one DOT approved Beadlock, and that is on the Hummer. The same company who makes them will make them for you, saw an article about it in one of the mags. They are stamped with some sort of DOT nubmer on them.

Could a cop ticket you, Yes. Would he be able to tell them apart from the fakes. Maybe??

Do what you will though.

Erik

Comment

So what would you be cited for? There aren't any standards. I seriously doubt you would be cited. Cops wouldn't even notice you have bead locks. They most likely don't know they are not approved.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
            So what would you be cited for? There aren't any standards. I seriously doubt you would be cited. Cops wouldn't even notice you have bead locks. They most likely don't know they are not approved.
            Same thing as non-DOT approved headlights, exhaust, etc. If we're going to split hairs, you are not suppose to alter your vehicle from stock in any way, shape or form.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i drive mine on the street all the time. to get tricky, you can buy standard aluminum or steel wheels and have "champion" beadlock them for you... or just buy their beadlocks. you will have the ridiculous DOT sticker on the wheels because they were approved before the beadlocks were welded on there
              i have had no problems, and dont expect to. i really find it hard to imagine anything more than a fix-it-ticket. there are so many of the fake beadlocks out there, and you have to know what to look for to know the difference between real, and fake... chances are pretty slim for a ticket there imo.
              i think you would have to have pissed off the cop pretty bad for him to go that far.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                Same thing as non-DOT approved headlights, exhaust, etc. If we're going to split hairs, you are not suppose to alter your vehicle from stock in any way, shape or form.
                I better watch out for the headlight police. My 80/100's aren't dot approved. Haven't had a problem yet. Been over 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                  I better watch out for the headlight police. My 80/100's aren't dot approved. Haven't had a problem yet. Been over 2 years.
                  You Better, they're on to you now!
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Oh jeez, let's blow this out of proportion. He asked a question, I gave him the correct answer.

It's no wonder I visit this board less and less.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
                      Oh jeez, let's blow this out of proportion. He asked a question, I gave him the correct answer.

It's no wonder I visit this board less and less.
                      I blame Al
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Let's just say, that if they do know, and they do pull you over, i guess that the worse that could happen is that your vehicle would get impounded.

Erik, having Champion weld on the beadlock doesn't make them streetlegal even thought the DOT sticker is there.

You all know this to be true. You all know that we ALL flaunt the rules and attempt to get by them whenever we can.

Erik

Comment

True Erik, but the "DOT legal" designation is really aimed more at limiting the manufacturer's liability as far as I have ever heard... I think this means that since the DOT has not approved them, if you ever had an incident the manufacturer could simply point at you and say "hmm, we told you they weren't approved for highway use"... As far as I know DOT approvals are just that - approvals. If a cop pulled me over for not having DOT approved suspension (Nth Degree Zig-Zag anyone?), I'm pretty sure I would tell him to cite the code that says where I have to have DOT approved suspension. He would probably say the vehicle is "not roadworthy" and the worst that would happen is I get a fix it ticket. Just my perspective... I think you also know that there are vehicles out there that are far less roadworthy than the average rock crawling Jeep and they are still on the road... How about an Excursion with 10" lift and 38s?... Every suspension component I have ever bought had some kind of disclaimer, so you are all correct - we do bend the rules. I think the aftermarket manufacturers would all be out of business if we couldn't get away with it...

:shades:
                          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Holy crap!!! I never thought about this at all!!!
                            That's it. I'm taking the Jeep back to stock. I don't care about tickets I just don't feel safe driving it any more. Erik, do you think you can ge that 231 back? anyone got 28" tires I can buy???:confused:

just kidding.
                            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                              anyone got 28" tires I can buy???:confused:
                              I have some . . .wanna trade
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment