Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
    Dell is pretty darn good for their price, and from my experience they are reliable. As for the new macs i cant help at all on that one. I think it comes down to what system you like more, mac or windows.
    second that! I've had mine for 3 years with no problems what so ever. My dad has two for his business, only problems were that he ran out of hard drive space. Tammy has 2 new ones. All are champs, I dont think I'll buy any other kind. Compaq's are crap, HP's are trash . . . I havent seen anything thats come close to Dell's quality and price.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Let us help you spend your money Brian

Tam
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I vote Dell. I run 3 of them at work and never have to call IT (except that one time it was smoking, but I'm sure that was my fault not the pc)

It's getting easier to upgrade them, too. They're not as proprietary as they used to be.

I was pretty indifferent until I got my new one Tuesday. I got a 17" Flat screen, and an insanely fast pc. BTW, it's your tax dollars.
        I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
        1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Eh, we paid for Brian's, so why not yours too...

1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
            Eh, we paid for Brian's, so why not yours too...

no kidding!
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

geez! we did'nt "just" pay for his computer
              his house was burgled, so, as friends... we lent a hand. thats what friends are for.. right?
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                Dell is pretty darn good for their price, and from my experience they are reliable. As for the new macs i cant help at all on that one. I think it comes down to what system you like more, mac or windows.
                we run all Dell's here at work (17 workstations and a server), and they've been very reliable thus far- the oldest machine is about 3 years old. all stations are running Win 2000 Pro, and the server is Win 2000 Server. The previous generation of computers here were also Dells, and at least one of those is still running great

At home, I have an old Compaq laptop (AMD 233 mhz ) running Win 2000 and I can leave it running for days at a time with no problems- it's just slow as hell I just bought a NIB (new in box, for you non-ebayers) Compaq/AMD 2400 mhz laptop with Win XP home... so far so good. I got it for $829 shipped on ebay. Compaq is now owned by HP.. don't know if that's good or bad

my home desktop is my own conglomeration of parts bought off ebay and scavenged from old computers here at work... but it's an AMD 1900+ running XP Pro... the longest I've gone without rebooting was over 30 days.

If you can survive without the latest & greatest technology, there's a ton of bargains to be found.

btw: mac, schmack

Comment

I'd vote Dell as well. I'm not really thrilled w/ my laptop (8100) though. I've had the laptop for 5 years and it keeps on kicking but it does some weird things, the screen cable connection needs to be *just so* for the screen to be clear, fans are failing (noisy) etc etc. I'm sure its a toss up with any laptop though...
                  The other 8 Dell's are desktop and doing well.

Ned

Comment

geez! we did'nt "just" pay for his computer
                    his house was burgled, so, as friends... we lent a hand. thats what friends are for.. right?
                    Absolutely! I just figured since we bought one, why not buy mikeys too? I wasn't belittling helping out Brian, just poking a bit at how easily the government spends our money...
                    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                    My Jeep

Comment

I gotta say mac, never had a problem with this thing. Never have to worry about viruses either.

Comment

I forgot to say when they broke in my office all the stole were the MACS. Left the PC where they sat

Comment

Linux rules!!!! Aside from that, the Pentium4 architecture is more efficient for 3-d apps (games). The Mac advantage is its Unix-based OS. Unbelievably stable, and very powerful for the well trained user. Windows XP works well, but is expensive and has comparitively steep hardware requirements. Remember Windows OS's are designed to be used by stupid people and thus are bloated with extra junk to "help" the user . I work with windows, Unix and Linux. Windows one and only advantage is software availability. Good luck in your choice. BTW- a Dell with Linux or dual boot setup is very hard to beat.
                          It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
                          and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Originally posted by brian4.2
                            I forgot to say when they broke in my office all the stole were the MACS. Left the PC where they sat
                            hehehe
                            it wasn't me!
                            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I'm Back!!! Life is Good!!!

well, for me at least.

A big thanks to Blaine and Kat for giving me the computer conected to the monitor I'm looking at and the keyboard I'm currently typing on. Oh yeah... there's a mouse to. Anyway... thanks!!! It's hard to explain what it's like to not have any internet conection at home.

More thanks to Blaine and Kat for setting aside some time today to help with a warn hub conversion and bumper swap. It's always nice to have the willing supervision and guidance of knowledgable folks with a big driveway and all the tools you'd ever need. (even if I forgot to pick up the java this morning. I'll pay for that one. )

Lastly(for the moment at least), I was increadibly busy last week closing bank accounts, opening new ones, cancelling credit cards, having alternates sent, checking investment accounts, getting rotors machined (expensively), having tires rotated, balanced and plugged (illegally), supervising window replacement and even managed to show up for work a bit. In all the excitement, I really wasn't able to respond correctly to what has been done for me within this Jeep community. There is no question that I am now surrounded by a group of friends who's quality far exceeds anything I have previously been privaledged to. The outpouring of care and generousity I have been given surpasses what many would expect of their immediate family. I'd like to think that somehow I've helped each of you in such a way that you thought it was your moral duty to repay a favor. I know this is not the case. Some that helped have never met me, others have spend short periods of time wheeling , wrenching or just hanging out with me. None of what I have ever done warrents the kindness you have all shown. I am forever in your debt.

Thank you.

Brian.
                              Last edited by blkTJ; 06-05-04, 08:40 PM.
                              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Whoohooo! Welcome back man.
                                My Jeep

Comment

Working...
                                X