Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA AB 2289: no more sniffer smog test on 2000+ vehicles

sounds good to me... as long as the tests get cheaper!

Year 2000 and newer cars will no longer have to do a tailpipe test for emissions. It will simply be an OBD-II scan for emission errors. The purpose is to reduce consumer costs and make smog tests faster.

Smog Check. Under AB 2289, beginning sometime after January 1, 2013, model-year 2000 and newer vehicles will be tested for smog compliance using the vehicle's onboard diagnostic systems (OBD-II) instead of a tailpipe sensor. If the vehicle is not equipped with OBD-II or has emissions problems, it can be tested using the tailpipe sensor at a test-only station. Changing the testing procedure should reduce the cost of smog checks, according to the California Bureau of Automotive Repair.

http://www.mrtraffic.com/2011laws.htm
    Last edited by cbremer; 01-18-11, 11:11 PM.

This only makes sense. With all the sensors on the obd-ll and canbus systems, we should never need to do a sniff test. Texas does a computer check only.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

This apply to diesals too?

Comment

Had my 2003 powerstroke smogged recently. Even the smog tech said it was a joke. Just a way to make people spend money. My 7.3 has no cat. converter, and the only real check he did was to look at the tailpipe for excess smoke.

Comment

Had a similar experience with my '06 Ford.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

my 97 is OBD-II whats up with that?
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I smogged my 05 Chevy diesel. The smog guy did not look like he really knew how to smog the diesel. He was making a big deal out of my truck smoking out of the exhaust when he stepped on the gas.

I told him "Its a diesel, it does that". He passed it and said its just a visual test. So I guess if you get on their bad side they could say it LOOKS like it is smoking too much and fail you.

Dumb really. They are just doing it to get a buck.
              I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Diesel smog is horseshit! HUGE waste of time and money considering how small the take rate is in the US.

I'm more of the opinion that if the vehicle sniffs clean then why does it need a visual or computer test.
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                  Diesel smog is horseshit! HUGE waste of time and money considering how small the take rate is in the US.

I'm more of the opinion that if the vehicle sniffs clean then why does it need a visual or computer test.
                  I agree. My samurai is on propane and has zero carbon. Passes the sniff test with flying colors, but technicly it isn't legal because there aren't any CARB #'s on the conversion. Luckily my smog guy lets it pass.
                  1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Working...
                  X