Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Bikes . . . who's got em?

I probably need my head examined, but I went out and bought a dirt bike last weekend . . . haven't ridden in about 25 years so this should be interesting. Anybody around here ride dirt bikes too? After I get a bit of seat time and figure out how the thing works, I'd love to join in on some mild rides if anybody is heading out locally. I got a KTM 450 EXC . . . it's street legal, so I don't have to worry about all the Red/Green sticker stuff.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

If you wait a week or so, the answer will be yes. I'm buying a DRZ 400S soon.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Nice score. That's a nice bike. I recently sold my DRZ400S but still have a KX500. I already miss my DRZ.
      [COLOR=#810081][/COLOR]
      If you want to do some fun runs(not races) check out D37 Dual Sport. http://www.district37ama.org/dualsport/
      The High Desert 250 and Death Valley 350 were two of my favorites. Nothing tops the LA Barstow to Vegas though.
      Check out .

Comment

Nice DRZ. I'm still narrowing the list down based on what I'm finding on Craigslist, Cycletrader, ADVRider, Thumpertalk...etc.
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY

Comment

Would a "myjeeprocks.com" sticker on a dirt bike be a conflict of interest?
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Probably not. And I'm not changing my email to "jeff05DRZ@yahoo.com" either
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY

Comment

Uh, yeah, maybe a couple... It's how I got my name.

www.inlandjeepfreeks.com

Comment

Well today's the day! Found a trailer yesterday and will be heading out after work to pick up the trailer and then the bike. WOOHOO . . . now if I can avoid maming or killing myself long enough to have some fun, that would be sweet!

Comment

My hitch rack should show up today according to UPS. Going to look at a DRZ on Sunday after RC flying - it's in Corona. Another I want to look at in Woodland Hills, plus maybe one in Glendale. Plus a buddy really wants to sell me his XR650L, but pretty sure I don't want the extra weight.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                    My hitch rack should show up today according to UPS. Going to look at a DRZ on Sunday after RC flying - it's in Corona. Another I want to look at in Woodland Hills, plus maybe one in Glendale. Plus a buddy really wants to sell me his XR650L, but pretty sure I don't want the extra weight.
                    You don't. The 650 is a heavy bike. Not to fun dealing with that on long rides. The XR400 is a nice dual sport but IIRC it's air cooled unlike the DRZ.
                    Check out .

Comment

My wife and I ride XR400's. They are air cooled, old school reliable. Not as nimble or well suspended as others, but good desert bikes. My kids have TTR90 and CRF50.

Comment

I looked at plated XR's. Reliable as tanks - but getting scarce.
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY

Comment

After my "weekend" away to do some exploring near Lone Pine, I am seriously considering a dual-sport bike. While around Lone Pine, I was exploring some narrow, and some regular roads, and wished I had something else besides my 2wd Pathfinder. My CJ isn't too much fun on long road trips.

I'll be watching this thread to educate myself!

Comment

Picked up my new bike and trailer on Thursday, played hookey from work on Friday, and went up to Gorman to give it a go. Had a great time . . . after about 25 years having not ridden a dirt bike it's going to take some seat time and practice for me to get the hang of it, but that's part of the fun. Thought I was going to bail at least 20 times and didn't, then went down totally unexpectedly and so fast that I still don't really know what happened, but the bike took it like a champ and all my gear seemed to take the impact so I just dusted myself off, picked up the bike and had somemore fun. Can't wait to get out again!

Comment

Is that the 450 or the 525? Damn nice bike man, How KTM gets away with plating them, I have no idea, but I'm jelouse!

When winter comes around, hit me up. I take my fam to Ocotillo Wells atleast once a month.
                              www.inlandjeepfreeks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X