Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few extra things to add,,,,,,, I would say change it every 6 months, put it in a dark cool place and it should be fine. Another important one, have a stash of cash as computers go down no ATM, no money, and also for people on prescription drugs, have at least a 3 month supply extra just in case.
    I need to stock up on some extra 12G shells, and get some spare fuel, treat it for my small Honda generator. I can @ least keep my fridge going until I have eaten all the food.
    As wheelers and campers I think we have allot of the stuff needed to make it thru, I get concerned about the crazy's that will come out of the woodwork, to loot and pillage.
    06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
    07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
      As wheelers and campers I think we have allot of the stuff needed to make it thru, I get concerned about the crazy's that will come out of the woodwork, to loot and pillage.
      Me too . . . especially being here in the city. That's why when I think of being prepared for an emergency . . . guns and ammo are the first things that come to mind. After seeing the willingness of our community to riot and loot after the whole Rodney King thing, I'd hate to see what would happen if times were truly desperate.
      Last edited by Schmo; 03-18-10, 03:27 PM.
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Schmo, Put a cap full of chlorine bleach in the water bottle and put it in the back of a dark closet. Change it every six months.

If and when you need it and it has a strong chlorine odor, pour some water in an open container like a pan and let it sit overnight and the chlorine will evaporate away. This is only necessary if your're going to drink it. To wash up or cook, it'll be fine right out of the bottle.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
          Schmo, Put a cap full of chlorine bleach in the water bottle and put it in the back of a dark closet. Change it every six months.

If and when you need it and it has a strong chlorine odor, pour some water in an open container like a pan and let it sit overnight and the chlorine will evaporate away. This is only necessary if your're going to drink it. To wash up or cook, it'll be fine right out of the bottle.
          Seeing that I have the water purifying bottle . . . would it be better to just fill the 5 gallon jug with tap water and run it thru the purifying bottle vs. going the chlorine bleach route? Something about bleach in drinking water doesn't sound good to me.

Comment

Unless your water district has switched to reverse osmoses, you already have chlorine in your water! I suppose you could use your purifier, you just don't want "stuff" growing in your stored water.

BTW - you need to store way more than 5 gallons. I have 100 gallons stored and I hope that's enough. I have two of the blue food grade barrels.
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

I figure 5 gallons is better than nothing and would provide me with something to drink for a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                I figure 5 gallons is better than nothing and would provide me with something to drink for a week or so.
                Well, if you are comfortable with only five, but Joe, please, at least double that. If an earthquake hit's during the hot months, you're going to want to take at least a sponge bath every few days at least.

You might even be able to "barter" with it.
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

For those of you in the San Fernando Valley...

http://www.sosproducts.com/index.html

EMT's get a 10% discount. They have all the CERT items required. They have water stabilizers that keep water drinkable for 5 years. Just about everything you can think of in an emergency situation.

As an EMT, I purchase all of my medical supplies from them. Their regular price is great, plus I get a little discount.

Comment

Was talking with my buddy, who lives at the end of my street about this last night. He's basically my brother so if the $hit goes down, we'll be in it together so I think we're going to partner up and share in some of this stuff. I was looking at the big 55 gallon water storage things on the site Steve posted up and they aren't all that expensive so I think I'll talk to him about storing the water for us, seeing how I've got most the other stuff.

Comment

Here is a couple of items I have on hand. Both items will last decades and less than $150 for the two.

http://www.waterbob.com/Information.do?forward=home
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

Comment

I don't get the purpose of the WaterBob. I could understand how that would help in other areas where they have some warning that a storm is coming, etc but in an earthquake, how is this going to help? If I'm able to fill up my bath tub, then the water is still on and working, why wouldn't I just fill up the tub if I was worried about the water being turned off? I don't get it.

Comment

I guess the WaterBob is not the best thing for earthquake preparation. I was probably thinking more along the lines a national disaster. Trust me its not the only source of water just something to have in the tool box if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by CalFireGuy View Post
                            I guess the WaterBob is not the best thing for earthquake preparation. I was probably thinking more along the lines a national disaster. Trust me its not the only source of water just something to have in the tool box if needed.
                            Gotcha . . . I wasn't sure if I was missing something . . . doesn't seem like a bad thing to have on hand, but I think I'm going to look into something more like this and just drain and refill it with fresh water every six months or so.

Comment

I am trying to remember, but 3yrs ago I had bought one for our toy hauler at the feed place here on Bear Valley road for $15. It was used for food. You just pour "x" of bleach in it, and the rest with water (fill to the top) and let it set over night and empty.

As for the pool water. Remember, the pool also has salt in it. That's how the auto chlorine machines work. They use the salt atoms to make chlorine. Something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                                I don't get the purpose of the WaterBob. I could understand how that would help in other areas where they have some warning that a storm is coming, etc but in an earthquake, how is this going to help? If I'm able to fill up my bath tub, then the water is still on and working, why wouldn't I just fill up the tub if I was worried about the water being turned off? I don't get it.
                                If the line is contaminated. In an earth quake, the water line could break and "crap" could flow in. Then you just poured all that into the waterbob.

Or, line breaks, and the city find out the water is contaminated and shuts the water off. That will not help neither.

Comment

Working...
                                X