Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Moss - Moss Ford President passed away at Dumont this past weekend

here's the story from the press enterprise .... this is also a warning to be aware and careful and know your surrondings... this can happen to the best of us..

Car dealer dies, another injured in off-road crash

10:57 PM PST on Friday, March 12, 2004

By RICHARD BROOKS / The Press-Enterprise

Two off-road-vehicle drivers crested a hill and crashed separately Friday in the High Desert, killing the owner of the Moss Brothers car dealership in Riverside and severely injuring the co-owner of a Colton dealership, investigators and family spokesmen said.

"My understanding is that he was in a dune buggy accident," attorney George Reyes said of Jay Moss, president of Moss Motors in the Riverside Auto Plaza. "He and I are friends. I've been his lawyer for more than 10 years."

Injured in the 9:24 a.m. wreck at Dumont Dunes, between Baker and Death Valley, was Scott Chadwick, 43, co-owner of B&G Auto Sales in Colton, said sales manager Brian Klaus.

"Scott was airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas," Klaus said. "I know he's going through tests right now. ... He may have back injuries."

No confirmation of the victims' names was available from the California Highway Patrol or the San Bernardino County Coroner's Office by evening. But the CHP had sketchy details.

"It appears they may have been racing each other, having fun," Officer Adam Cortinas said from the CHP office in Barstow. "They came over the top of one of the hills, and both came down and crashed in close proximity to each other."

Both men were wearing seat belts, but the dead man's belts might have failed, Cortinas said.

The preliminary investigation suggested that the cause of death was massive head injuries.

"Neither of them were wearing helmets," Cortinas said.

The surviving driver was badly hurt, he said. "He has some sort of major back injury and he was airlifted to ... Las Vegas."

Both victims have long had a passion for off-roading, their friends said.

"Jay enjoys his toys," Reyes said of the Dodge dealer who seldom used his full name, Julian Adrian Moss III. "He ... owns a number of vehicles and really enjoys himself at that sport."

Moss' brother, Glen, owns the Moss Bros. Dodge dealership in San Bernardino and Moss Bros. Ford in Colton.

Jay and Glen Moss are third-generation car dealers. Their grandfather started the business during 1921 in Blythe and moved it to Riverside in 1938. The San Bernardino expansion occurred in 1987.

Jay Moss attended Rim of the World High School in Lake Arrowhead and Poly High in Riverside and graduated from San Diego State, Reyes said.

Moss and his wife, Laura, have two children, 20-year-old Jayson, and 18-year-old Jaymi

Moss and Chadwick usually went off-roading at Glamis in Riverside County, but both had previously driven at Dumont Dunes, their friends said.

"They were friends and business associates," said Klaus, Chadwick's sales manager. "I don't think they went to (Dumont Dunes) together. I think they met up out there."

B&G Auto Sales is a 40-year-old business that has spent nearly 17 years in its present location. It is co-owned by Chadwick and his mother.

Scott Chadwick took his three children on the trip with him. They left Thursday, Klaus said.

"He usually comes back on Sunday evening."

please be careful...

bummer, man!

I'll stick to driving slow on the rocks, thankyouverymuch
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

yeah sometimes it gets scary out there.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
        bummer, man!

ditto.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
          bummer, man!

This from the guy who drives a million bazillion miles an hour on the flats.
          I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
          1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Originally posted by mikeythefireman
            This from the guy who drives a million bazillion miles an hour on the flats.
            almost that fast, but theres not another a$$hole coming the opposite direction going a million bazillion miles an hour.

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

That helps a little, I guess.
              I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
              1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

bummer man.. those dunes are dangerous!
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                X