Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolled my Jeep this morning....

So I'm driving to work and some jackass in a semi merges over onto me... I swerve to aviod hitting him... end up on a patch of black ice.. do a 180.. slide off the shoulder... and flip. He of course does not stop.

The damn fold in mirror folded and broke the passenger window out.... otherwise I'd throw the soft top on and drive her as is. Ahh well.

What a freaking day. On the lighter side, had some jeep friends and a winch show up. We flipped her over and I drove home. Now I get to deal with insurance.. YAY! Anyway.. I'm a firm believer in Jeep safety now tho I am a little concerned that the airbag didn't inflate.

Last edited by TrAvELAr; 03-09-04, 10:43 AM.
    Erik

I fix things.

Wow, glad you're ok. That trucker probably never saw you. I've driven big trucks, & it's very easy to lose sight of a small vehicle like a Jeep.
    1983 CJ7 AMC 360, T-5, Dana 300
    Dana 30, AMC 20

Comment

!!!!!!!
      glad everything is ok and that there wasn't much damage. erik, coming from you, i figured the title of this thread was a joke! gotta love Michigan's no fault insurance.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

glad your o.k., that's a bummer.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

WOW!

Im glad to hear youre ok.

Good luck with everything.

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Glad to hear your ok. Id just get the insurance money and buy cool stuff . I wouldnt worry about the airbags too much, they are for frontal impacts.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Do not be upset about the airbags not deploying. They deploy on frontal impact with sudden deceleration. As a rule, insurance companies usually declare collisions with airbag deployment as total losses/salvage title, due to the energy that is needed to result in a deployment.
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

More specifically the airbags are attached to sensor that detects rate of deceleration. If you rearend a vehicle and cause that vehicle to move you might not decelerate fast enough for the airbags to detect a collision.

What's no-fault insurance?
                I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Originally posted by mikeythefireman
                  What's no-fault insurance?
                  It's a pain-in-the-ass system that the insurance companies use to milk us for more money. Read on....

In most states, auto insurance functions under a traditional fault-based system. Insurance companies make payments based on each person's degree of fault in a particular motor vehicle accident. However, long and costly court battles are often required to determine who is at fault in many accidents. In an attempt to reduce this problem, thirteen states have adopted an alternative no-fault system of insurance. These "no-fault" states include Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Utah.

When you have an accident under a no-fault system, your insurer automatically pays for your damages, regardless of fault (up to the specified policy limit). In exchange for this guaranteed payment, you must give up some of your rights to sue the other driver involved in the accident. There are elements of no-fault in all auto insurance coverage. For example, medical payments and property damage are typically paid regardless of fault.

No-fault insurance is intended to reduce auto insurance premiums by reducing the number of automobile accident cases in the courts, by restricting recovery for pain and suffering damages, and by providing limited payment for losses.

Pure no-fault vs. modified no-fault
                  Under a pure no-fault system, your insurer would pay for any economic damages (such as medical bills, lost wages, etc.) up to the policy limit, and you would be completely prohibited from suing a negligent driver for "non-economic" damages (such as pain and suffering, loss of companionship, etc.). Presently, no states function under a pure no-fault system.

Instead, all thirteen no-fault states have adopted a modified no-fault system. This means that your insurer still pays for your economic damages up to the policy limit, but you may be allowed to sue for non-economic damages if the amount of these damages exceeds a specified tort threshold. The threshold can be either verbal or monetary (or a combination), and is designed to limit lawsuits to only the more serious injuries.

* Verbal threshold: In states that have a verbal threshold, lawsuits for non-economic injuries are limited to "serious" injuries or death. Serious is defined differently in each state, but it often includes broken bones, severed limbs, etc. Unless you meet the defined criteria for a "serious" injury, you are precluded from bringing a lawsuit against the other driver. Drawback: you may sustain a very serious injury that is not included in the defined verbal threshold.

* Monetary threshold: In states that have a monetary threshold, lawsuits for non-economic injuries are precluded unless a certain dollar amount in medical bills is reached. Pure no-fault supporters fear that people will make unnecessary visits to their medical provider in order to reach the threshold.

Benefits of a no-fault system
                  Supporters of no-fault insurance argue that a no-fault system offers many benefits, including the following:

* Quicker payment of claims by eliminating costly and time-consuming litigation over liability.
                  * No splitting of fees with lawyers.
                  * Lower insurance rates because expensive non-economic damage awards and legal fees required to defend liability claims are eliminated--legal fees currently account for 12% of premium costs.
                  * Reduction in the number of lawsuits.
                  * No subsidizing uninsured motorists; your insurer covers the cost of your medical bills.
                  * Lower rates mean that auto insurance is accessible to people of lesser means.

Drawbacks of a no-fault system
                  Opponents of no-fault insurance argue that the benefits are purely theoretical and that past performance has proved that no-fault is ineffective. Drawbacks include the following:

* No compensation for pain and suffering, paralysis, or other non-economic damages; arbitrary limits are imposed.
                  * Under pure no-fault and choice systems, bad drivers are protected because they cannot be sued for the damages they cause. Thus, there's no incentive to be a good driver.
                  * Rates are actually higher under no-fault. Regardless of theory, insurance premiums in no-fault states are on average 25% higher than in traditional liability states.
                  * There is no reduction in litigation costs under a no-fault system. The time and effort insurers once spent defending litigation claims is now spent defending lawsuits brought by their own insureds for failure to pay no-fault benefits. In modified no-fault states, tremendous time and energy is spent litigating over whether or not the tort threshold requirement has been met.
                  * Even your economic damages are limited by the terms of the policy. In traditional tort states, you are fully compensated for your loss by suing the driver responsible for your injuries. No-fault states have limits on liability, even for your basic economic damages. These limits result in people being forced to pay for any unpaid medical bills without recourse against the driver who caused the injuries.

What is "choice no-fault?"
                  Choice is another hybrid of the pure no-fault system. It creates two classes of insured drivers by retaining parts of both the pure no-fault and traditional fault-based systems. Versions of choice no-fault have been implemented in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. It is also the plan proposed by the federal government in its Auto Choice Reform Bill.
                  Under a choice system, drivers choose whether they want to be insured under a pure no-fault plan or retain some traditional tort rights similar to modified no-fault.

* If you choose the pure no-fault plan, you are unable to sue negligent drivers for non-economic damages, and you are immune from such suits yourself.
                  * If you choose to retain your traditional tort (personal injury suit) rights, you can sue other drivers who have also chosen to retain their tort rights, and in return they can sue you. Your traditional tort rights are not unlimited, however. If you have an accident with a driver who has opted for the pure no-fault option, you are unable to sue that driver.

By its design, choice no-fault tends to lead good drivers to pick the tort option (which is more expensive) and bad drivers to pick the pure no-fault option (which is less expensive). Critics charge that this unfairly punishes good drivers with higher rates and rewards bad drivers with no personal liability.
                  Erik

I fix things.

Comment

WOW...thanks for the explanation!
                    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

wow dude! looks like the jeep took it pretty good! glad you are ok too. take the insurance money for some cool stuff for the jeep.
                      good luck!
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I have always felt the Jeep is a very capable and safe vehicle. A picture is worth a thousand words. A lot of people think that a tiny vehicle is unsafe but a lot depends on the construction. The "truck" frame and "sport" bar does a lot in helping the occupant survive an accident.

Comment

man that sucks dude... sounds like your pretty lucky to get outta a highway rollever with minimal damage and no injuries... i say flat fender your jeep now!! unless you cant because of laws up there...

Comment

shoot! that terrible luck but good luck with the repairs. good to see that the rollbar held up under the top. and other than the fender, top, and hood seems to be in pretty good shape.
                            those arent scratches and dents those are accent marks...

Comment

Originally posted by KID
                              shoot! that terrible luck but good luck with the repairs. good to see that the rollbar held up under the top. and other than the fender, top, and hood seems to be in pretty good shape.
                              Thank goodness the OEM radio antenna came through fairly unscathed.
                              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Working...
                              X