Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisJ13 View Post
    I was really hoping that my dad might get hooked on this, honestly we are not as close as we use to be. So to me it would be nice if we shared a common intrest like this, and repair the bond.
    There you go. There are some beginner runs coming up. Ask him to go. Rather yet, ask your mom if he would like to go and spend some time with you. Moms have a way of convincing dads to go.
    Last edited by Jeep4cern; 07-29-09, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Chris, if you do not know about this group, give them a try. They are in your area. My son lives in Longmont and the guy who has the forum T-Frog did his ring/pinion work. Check out the rigs he has built.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/
      Rich

Comment

I payed for some and they payed for some
        Until you are out of the house, I would say you need to do what they say.
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

spend the money on strippers and booze.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
            Best advice yet . . . although it's probably a lot easier to get drugs and Gonorrhea at that age! Perhaps your old man needs to be enlightened as to what the kids your age are really up to these days and perhaps he'll open up a bit and realize that there are worse things for a teenager to be doing than Jeepin' and wrenching. To be fair, I'm sure he's concerned about your safety as even a stock Jeep is pretty unsafe, especially in the hands of 16 year old male! No offense, but we've all been there, and we all have stories of the stupid stuff we did that should have killed us . . . your old man does too.
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Erik - Thanks for the advice

Just so everyone knows I'm 17 now (July 24), I think I will buy some quick disconnects and new shocks to hopefully gain articulation.

Comment

Erik - Thanks for the advice

Just so everyone knows I'm 17 now (July 24), I think I will buy some quick disconnects and new shocks to hopefully gain articulation.
                I think you missed the sarcasm.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'm gonna tell his mom on you!
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Haha I was just messing with you.

Comment

hell yeah.

good times
                      Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Chris,

I think you'll find out that it's not going to be a big deal to leave it the way it is for a while.

Go out and wheel everything that is out there within your rig's capability. You'll learn more that way.

Then start going on runs that you think are slightly beyond the capability of your Jeep. You'll surprise yourself.

Your dad is doing you a favor, but you probably won't realize it for a while.

You'll be out there wheeling with your stock rig and if you break something it won't be some really expensive custom part that you won't be able to fix until you save more cash. Instead, you'll take a quick trip to the junk yard and have it fixed quickly. That will keep you out there wheeling.

This is also going to let you get out and wheel with people that have done all of the stuff that you think you want to do. You'll see that everyone does it differently and you'll learn a lot by paying close attention to which of those things works better in different situations. Then you'll develop your own ideas about how it should be done.

I bet that over the next couple of years you'll decide that you want to do things differently than what you want to do today, because you'll have built some real world experience to make better decisions about where to put your money for exactly what YOU like to do.

I've had my bone-stock CJ-8 Scrambler for a little over a year now. When I got it, I was excited about doing a bunch of stuff to it right away. Circumstances didn't allow me to to that. So, I've been doing exactly what I'm suggesting to you and have some things that I'm going to do differently as a result.

Invite your dad to come with you whenever you go out. Let him take the wheel sometimes, so that he gets a feel for the things your talking about. You may find that he gets into it. Of course, he may not, but that's OK too. It's not for everyone.

You sound like you've got a great attitude and good head on your shoulders.

Spend a couple of bucks on a camera (if you don't already have one), so that you can post your adventures here on MJR. Lot's of us would love to see what wheeling in Colorado is like. You may get a group of us from CA to come out and maybe you can show us around. Or...maybe we'll all meet in the middle at Moab.

Enjoy the Jeep!

Christian
                        Last edited by headhunter; 07-30-09, 06:59 PM.
                        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

MJR supports Adopt A Trail, Maybe we should start "Adopt A Teen" Seems like we've already started with Chris
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                            MJR supports Adopt A Trail, Maybe we should start "Adopt A Teen" Seems like we've already started with Chris
                            ok, but I get him on Saturday to do yard work.
                            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Thanks for the support guys, I have decided to save up until I'm 18 (next summer) and put a 4 inch long arm kit and a 1 inch body lift with 35's and of course lock the front and rear. I'm thinking this will cost around $6000-$8000. Also I have decided to put the $2500 I made this summer into my savings account for college.
                              You've got a good head on your shoulders and are way out front of many young adults at that age. Keep saving and when the time is right build the Jeep you really want.

I think $6-8K will get you one badarse Jeep! You can do coilovers with that amount! Make a list of mods you are thinking about and keep refining it till you are ready to go. I made a project plan out for my build and then set time frame for completion of each item and cost to every line item.
                              http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Comment

Working...
                              X