Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do in a rollover?

http://www.rubiconscat.com/Stoddard/...Rollmovie.html

This really opens up my eyes and others too.
    Please give me your thoughts.
    I have already made plans to strengten my junk just in case.
    2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 3.5OME 5100 JK Rubi Rims

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

First thing I,d do is say Oh SH-T then pray!!!
    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

I have to agree it is an alarming video. I'm sure I'd just scream like a little girl and soil myself.

Comment

This is something you should practice for. I thought it would never happen to me, but I flopped on Pumpkin eater the other day, and I am sure glad I practiced in the driveway, so I didnt freak out. People put their arms out, forget to kill the engine, don't duck down... if you dont plan for it you don't know what you will do. You need to get small, know where to put your hands and hold on tight, and kill the engine as soon as you can. I tell my kids, and make them practice as well, where to put their hands when things get scary. They know what to do, so they can be safe.
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
          This is something you should practice for. I thought it would never happen to me, but I flopped on Pumpkin eater the other day, and I am sure glad I practiced in the driveway, so I didnt freak out. People put their arms out, forget to kill the engine, don't duck down... if you dont plan for it you don't know what you will do. You need to get small, know where to put your hands and hold on tight, and kill the engine as soon as you can. I tell my kids, and make them practice as well, where to put their hands when things get scary. They know what to do, so they can be safe.
          Excellent advice!

Ive been told to hold on to the bottom side of the seat, tuck in and hold on. Ive practiced a few times as well. I hope that if this ever happens to me, that Ill have the ability to remember it.

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Have seen a couple of roll-overs. First at least wear your seat belts at all times. We had a friend who frequently would not and he is no longer with us due to a roll. A full cage is a must if you are going to do these sort of trails. A grab handle at the roll bar in the center of the vehicle would not be bad. Don't grab the roll bar for obvious reasons; your fingers will not like it. Don't put arms out or try to stop the vehicle. A friend rolled about 80 feet down what is called Kevin's Cut above the entrance to Upper Helldorado in Moab. He got knocked out by his roof mounted CB. Luckily he built a really strong cage and he and his wife survived with minor injuries. I was behind him and it is pretty scary how quickly these things can happen. We always try to discourage people from mounting CBs or anything above the head. The other thing our hard-core group has started doing is wearing helmets. You never know. That is in my FToy. I even carry a spare for someone other than my wife who might passenger.

I am sure others have additional thoughts.
            Rich

Comment

oh yeah, even the skate board helmets they have now will help if thats all you got...
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

My son and I were on El Diablo on Saturday and had heard of this rollover. At the same time, we were approaching a section of the trail that has a bit of an off-camber spot. The spotter says it feels worse than it looks. Didn't matter. Especially since to my left was downhill with not a whole lot to stop me. I explained to my son what to do if we rolled. What to grap and I reminded him what not to do.
                Just in case.

Comment

I would jump out and start screaming I am on fire.

dunno probably would hold on to the cage handles. I think my harness would do a good job of holding me in.
                  Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

From the pro-competitors if you are passenger, I have been told to hold on to the bottom of your harness or lap belt. Keep in mind, if you are wearing a harness it needs to be very tight. It will allow you to move at least 5-6 inches in a rollover or an accident so know where the bars are that your head can hit. If you are driver, hold on to the steering wheel, but make sure you never have your thumbs wrapped around it...they can break if the steering wheel jerks. It is a big NO-NO to hold on to any grab handles, roll cage, etc. It is better to have your hands and arms held against your body.

Definitely practice with your kids! When I first started riding passenger with Becca in the Red Bull RockHer whenever I flinched and reflex moved my arm to the side of the door, she would stop and remind me to hold onto the bottom of the seatbelt. She wouldn't take me on the "good" stuff until I stopped the natural flinching reflexs. It took a long time, but I can now sit and never flinch....ask Rat Patrol!! Ate a sandwich while going up a waterfall on Harry Crack while almost rolling...no flinch anymore! All the kids should be fully trained to not flinch and to know hold on to their lap belt when things get scary.

Also remember to turn off the engine asap and to set the emergency brake once the rolling has stopped.
                    Last edited by Desert Jewel; 05-27-09, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Anyone have a list of mechanical to check before starting and engine for the first time after a roll over?
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

a 15 year old girl just died here the other day in a roll over while they were out for lunch at school. the amp for her boyfriends truck wasnt mounted down to anything. hit her in the head. so seatbelts and the holy h&ll grab arnt they only thing you need to stop and think about before hopping in.
                        :devil: Giffer

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                          Anyone have a list of mechanical to check before starting and engine for the first time after a roll over?
                          1. pull the plugs, crank the oil out of the cylinders and make sure stand clear
                          2. reinstall the plugs
                          3. check all fluid levels
                          4. start engine and smoke out the canyon

Its no fun without family

Comment

I've told my daughter to grab the "oh shit" bar, duck down and towards the center. Is this sound advice or not!? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tool pimp View Post
                              1. pull the plugs, crank the oil out of the cylinders and make sure stand clear
                              2. reinstall the plugs
                              3. check all fluid levels
                              4. start engine and smoke out the canyon

That about covers it! With an emphasis on "smoke out the canyon
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X