Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanish speakers at my work get to have "yo hablo espanol" on their name badges; however, when I requested a name badge that says, "I speak English" I was declined. Sucks.

Comment

saw a coke ad the other day, all the english was sub titled in spanish, but no english sub titles for the spanish parts... I have no Idea why those people looked so happy... but it does piss me off that it only goes one way!

When I spent three years in Japan I did not ask any of the Japanese to learn English, I picked up as much Japanese as I could. The Japanese would have run me through if I stood to demand that they learn my language and give me the rights of their citizenry... I tell you what, go to Mexico and demand to be treated as well, and have everyone learn english... put yer kids in a mexican school and have the district hire a bi-lingual teacher so your kid can learn. Or hey, try being a Paramedic on scene of an accident where the victims can't understand yer questions and can't tell you what happened!

I think people tend to ignore the fact that as some of these spanish speakers can speak english, They are not the problem. it's the spanish only speakers that pose the problem! everyone is quick to say, "you should be bi-lingual!" but I am not the problem!

Plenty of Germans immigrated to this country, but we don't speak German
      Plenty of french immigrated to this country but we dont speak french
      Plenty of Chinese immigrated to this country but we dont speak Chinese
      Plenty of Italians immigrated to this country but we dont speak Italian

so then we are called arrogant and ignorant when we mention that we speak English here!

ok, go ahead, counter...
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I agree Jesse. When I was younger I was in Mexico almost every weekend. Because they speak Spanish I felt it was my responsibility to figure out how I would communicate. So I made an effort to learn as much Spanish as I could and to this day I can still order a beer, order a torta(asada of course), find a donkey show, and tell the little girl selling Chiclets, no. Just kidding about the Chiclets girl.

If you are going to come in to this country you need to learn English. That's the language we speak. I should not have to be Bi-lingual in this country.:2:
        Check out .

Comment

Agree 100%

I agree 100% With Max & Jesse & Dirtman etc.

Well put on all accounts.
          My wife is Mexican. I do not speak spanish to her and her family... THey speak english to me.
          They learned it. Why can't the others.

Just my :2:

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
            What knowledge would you suggest I should be aware of?
            Best, Max7
            Perhaps you can start by researching "equal opportunity".
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Is it "equal opportunity" to lose your job because you don't speak spanish?

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I don't like this any more than the next guy. \

My point was that "Equal Opportunity" laws have nothing to do with this situation or discussion.
                Max7 stated . . . "If you don't speak English you shouldn't be able to work in this Country. "Equal opportunity" is a major problem. The ONLY hiring criteria should be qualification. If you are not qualified you should not be hired."
                I've attached below the laws that fall under "Equal Opportunity" . . . you'll notice that none of these laws have anything to do with spoken languages. Max's statements actually support this action as speaking another language if applicable to the job (ie: being able to communicate with employees or customers) is considered a qualification or skill . . . therefore if the individual does not have that qualification or skill, they are not qualified for the job and someone with that skill or qualification would be a better fit for the job.

The Federal laws prohibiting job discrimination are:

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;
                the Equal Pay Act of 1963 (EPA), which protects men and women who perform substantially equal work in the same establishment from sex-based wage discrimination;
                the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA), which protects individuals who are 40 years of age or older;
                Title I and Title V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which prohibit employment discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities in the private sector, and in state and local governments;
                Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities who work in the federal government; and
                the Civil Rights Act of 1991, which, among other things, provides monetary damages in cases of intentional employment discrimination.

I'm not sure if this is the ignorance that was being pointed out by swbooking (could have just as easily had to do with the use of "Wetback" . . . what a TOOL).
                Last edited by Schmo; 05-21-09, 05:24 PM.
                That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                  Time For Operation Wetback II.
                  you totally have no clue. I thought you were cool before you started typing this stupid shit all the time. and now today I had to respond to your ridiculous post.

Do you think you are better than everybody else?

If you actually took out our illegal population do you think everything would be ok?

give me a break. your prices would go up on alot of things. The lazy citizens would not want the jobs that they occupy.

The term wetback or any other racial term should not be used. Are you the better person now?

Getting back to the main topic. yes I agree it sucks for them to get laid off. But the world changes. I work in an environment where spanish and english are used everyday.
                  Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Dezertdog View Post
                    I agree 100% With Max & Jesse & Dirtman etc.

Well put on all accounts.
                    My wife is Mexican. I do not speak spanish to her and her family... THey speak english to me.
                    They learned it. Why can't the others.

Just my :2:

Scott
                    English is the primary language here.

but doesnt mean you have to learn it.

They learned it because they wanted to talk to you.
                    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
                      No habla es-spic-yo.
                      Spic is an ethnic slur used in English speaking countries for a person of Hispanic descent.

your awesome. Pure intelligence.
                      Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

My wife is a "Mexican-American." Her parents came here when she was about 12 - she learned the language the hard way-immersion. She was one of two Mexican kids in her school. She became a citizen back in the 80's and is now working in our superior court justice system.

Funny thing is, she became a citizen and her sisters didn't see the need.
                        1) Who do they come to for money when times are tough? 2) Who is it that speaks English with very little accent?
                        3) Who is it that got the county job with the benefits?

Her sisters are illegal and they cannot legally work, cannot legally drive. Why do they not want to improve their position in life?

We "Americans" have created our own problems. Mainly by accepting the actions of elected officials who do not have the best interest their citizens in mind.
                        I personally believe that America benefits from the influence of Mexican culture -Just as we benefit from other cultures - European, Asian, etc. Look at the people who have been our greatest artist, musicians and leaders.
                        But, I do not believe that we need to change to accommodate somebody that is in this country illegally!
                        Money pit!

Comment

<golfclap>

Nicely said Josh.

</golfclap>
                          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
                            you totally have no clue. I thought you were cool before you started typing this stupid shit all the time. and now today I had to respond to your ridiculous post.

Do you think you are better than everybody else?

If you actually took out our illegal population do you think everything would be ok?

give me a break. your prices would go up on alot of things. The lazy citizens would not want the jobs that they occupy.

The term wetback or any other racial term should not be used. Are you the better person now?

Getting back to the main topic. yes I agree it sucks for them to get laid off. But the world changes. I work in an environment where spanish and english are used everyday.
                            Josh,
                            I agree with you about the name calling, but that's as far as it goes. When I'm told I have to learn a language that is not the one I grew up with in my country, so that I can communicate with people who have entered this country illigally,a country that, by the way, I served in the military to protect and defend the freedoms you and I enjoy (like the freedom of speech) and those people haven't so much as lifted a finger to do the same, but come here looking for a free ride given to them by bleeding hearts that feel we owe these people something, it pisses me off. Members of my family died to protect this country and the way of life we enjoy, and now it's being given away to people who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Support that if you want, but you won't find many here that agree with you.
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                              Im guessing your an older guy right? Or from a very Republican/Southern background? Maybe of Anglo-Saxon decent?
                              Your comment simply underscores the racism that exists on both sides of this argument.

Yes, I am WHITE and a very (socially) conservative Republican. Is that a "sin?"
                              By being white, am I a racist by default?
                              If I attend church, does that make me even more ignorant?
                              Can only people who have not had their minds confused by the subject of God hold intelligent discussions?

Are people that fall into a certain age group or demographic now to be ignored?
                              Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                                Your comment simply underscores the racism that exists on both sides of this argument.

Yes, I am WHITE and a very (socially) conservative Republican. Is that a "sin?"
                                By being white, am I a racist by default?
                                If I attend church, does that make me even more ignorant?
                                Can only people who have not had their minds confused by the subject of God hold intelligent discussions?

Are people that fall into a certain age group or demographic now to be ignored?

hahaha... I knew it.
                                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X