Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember Anthony Adams? The guy who crossed party lines to pass the state budget?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarah View Post
    It's not just that he crossed party lines - but he had also signed promises to never raise taxes as well. Did you listen to the audio clip on the beginning post? Adams will tell you in his own words the game our Assembly is playing.

Or perhaps I misunderstood your post.
    I think you misunderstood, what I am saying is that we would be caught in hoodoo land without a budget, someone stepped up to get a budget passed and let us get on with finding ways to cut the budget.
    face it as long as we were arguing over the budget we would never have found ways to balance it. Way to many issues to argue over, but taken on one at a time we can find ways to trim the budget.
    I feel he did what he did so we could move forward, however others feel he betrayed us all. Taxes being raised is wrong as we are taxing fewer people with fewer jobs for the more money, however without a budget we would not ever get passed arguing for a budget.
    I know that stinks, but I will tell you nothing would get done till it passed except we would have run out of money.
    Now that it is over we need to get rid of everyone in Sacramento and get some economic professionals up there to staiten things out.
    I am a long and active proponent for 3rd party thinking and believe we need the change to heal our problems, but I so recognize that sometimes we have to do what may not be wanted to get forward.
    I hope that makes sense as it sometimes can be hard to explain, but him crossing partiy lines and voting for the tax increases to me looks like a way to set up trying to balance our budget.
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

But they never consider the real options to correct the budget. They need to correct the budget. not pass a budget or trim it or fool with it or settle on it, they need to correct it. it is more simple to do than you might think! but they have to let the managers of the departments use *discretion* at their lower levels... all they need do, is find out how much of our money they are not getting, do simple multiplication to find % percent % and then lower the budget by that % percent % across the board. if the respective departments need to trim the fat or reduce some programs, then hey, that's what you do. I know that's what I am having to do right now with my family and hobbies... get a helmet. What they are doing is whatever they want. they don't care about us, you, California... hell, they just passed some more crap that will cost more money that the state doesn't have!

And what the hell is happening with the high speed train from LA to San Fran? I know my taxes went up to pay for that :poop: but I don't hear about anybody breaking ground! what about the City of Victorville and the collage thing? that bond measure passed, my taxes have all ready gone up for improvements, are they breaking ground on those projects the money is all ready coming outta my family's budget... Heck, we passed a bond here in Helendale for a high school to be built, I don't see any grade stakes or survey markers yet, no broken ground... but I sure as hell see my property taxes have gone up for that as well...

The simple truth is, when you lower taxes revenues go up. When you raise taxes revenues go down. You want a two week trial run on the thing? Tobacco just got hammered with a big tax hike. They should be raking in the dough right? Wrong! more people are quitting, cutting back, or going to the tribe and going tax free. Revenues from Tobacco tax is down, no surprise. it's only been two weeks, what are the programs that the Tobacco tax support going to do when the money dries up?

Maybe you are thinking, I don't smoke so who cares? well, let them have an inch...
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Jim, how about CUTTING SPENDING to meet the budget? That always works well with my personal budget. You can't justify what these "representatives" did by saying we need to move on with other issues. Especially since the republicans "gave up" 3 votes to get it passed, while the rest of them called bloody murder on the 3. I cannot sit back and let California be fooled by these people again. No compromise!!
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Sarah, thatis the goal, to cut spending, but with government that take time and compromise, plus deals being made. I can think of no time when that was doen during a budget making time. To do this you need to set up a committee to review and cut cost. Usually involving the Governor.
          The answer looks easy, but is very hard to do. We here say just cut spending, but how that is done is as political as how to increase spending. Clinton spent 8 years of his presidency cutting the budget and balancing the budget. He achieved this and it seems all we have done since then, in eight years, is create a deficet bigger than any dreamed possible before.
          I cannot blame a Representative for crossing party lines to get a budget passed. It was the first step to cut spending. No spending was going be cut during the stalemate they had.
          I can blame him for not offering a plan to effect change afterwards. However a recall for crossing party lines is going to get every Representative we have afraid to cross those lines.
          Most of us here argue 3rd party thinking. third party ideas, and vote third party because we believe in an idea, an idea that we can make it work. We vote for guys who will not win because we want our vote to count, to send a message to those who are winning that we are a growing number that want accountability and for them to think outside of party lines. And the first thing we do when one does is try to crucify him? Why the hell are we voting 3rd party for, we destroy it by baking the recall.

These are my thoughts on the subject, you are entitled to yours, I just wanted to clarify my own thoughts on the subject.

As said in my signature, freedom is hard. you are fighting for both sides. And sticking your neck out to effect change is even harder. I want change, Let us get someone willing to cross party lines to introduce a bill in our state assembly to offer budget cuts where they will help. and reverse bad spending laws like our current retirement laws state officials are offered.
          censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
          X