Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except for the first, next to last and last sentences - we're in agreement

Assuming said intruder was still outside my house, I _might_ attempt to "scare him away" before he gained entrance. The dog pretty much makes sure that no one gets near the house without us knowing about it.

Unless you've got a "pretty serious social shotgun" (and the training to go with it) - you're pretty much limited to fixed point defense. Fine if all your people are in one place, with a limited path to them (choke point) to defend.

Gunfight is only going to last 10 to 15 seconds assuming both sides are shooting - that's about 10 seconds longer than I'm planning for.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I think that there is a big difference between the random break in to grab some stuff vrs. the deliberate intrusion into your house to kill you or someone in the house. Most crime is not pointed at the owner of the house, that's way too personal... but if you have those kind of enemies, yeah you need to go to Thunder Ranch on yer next vacation! Sad thing is, California doesn't have the 'Castle Doctrine' like Florida, if you think that you are going to 'get away' with killin' somebody in your house he better be armed & dangerous. Don't get me wrong here, I feel the same way you do... cross that threshold and all bets are off... but we do live in California and I don't want to give that perps family anything. A gunfight is the last thing anyone wants in the house with the wife & kids.
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

California has a form of the castle doctrine law. It has limited scope, but there is no “duty to retreat” inside your own home in California.

“A person may defend his or her home against anyone who attempts to enter in a violent manner
        intending violence to any person in the home. The amount of force that may be used in resisting such
        entry is limited to that which would appear necessary to a reasonable person in the same or similar
        circumstances to resist the violent entry. One is not bound to retreat, even though a retreat might
        safely be made. One may resist force with force, increasing it in proportion to the intruder’s
        persistence and violence, if the circumstances apparent to the occupant would cause a reasonable
        person in the same or similar situation to fear for his or her safety.”

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

pages 26-28
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart; "But there is no “duty to retreat” inside your own home"

"If the circumstances apparent to the occupant would cause a reasonable person in the same or similar situation to fear for his or her safety.”

[url
          http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf[/url]

pages 26-28
          "Yes Officer ,I was afraid for my Wife and kids safety.No I've never seen that screwdriver before,It's not mine!"
          Dennis and Tammy
          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

IMHO, any intruder who has compromised my locked and reasonably secure home is a threat. I cannot think of any peaceful reason for a stranger to enter my home armed or not. I am not blood thirsty but need be Ill bear that censure to protect home.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
              IMHO, any intruder who has compromised my locked and reasonably secure home is a threat. I cannot think of any peaceful reason for a stranger to enter my home armed or not. I am not blood thirsty but need be Ill bear that censure to protect home.
              Amen X2
              Dennis and Tammy
              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
              X