Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is in a ring?

ok... here is a question for you.
    ladies: if a young man gives you a ring for valentines day.. what does that mean to you?
    imagine: [you are 14] and a guy you have known for a while gives you a ring for valentines day.
    to me, it would be like jumping in with both feet..
    if he gives it to her, and calls it "just a gift" it would be a friendship ring, and likely never evolve into anything else.

the thing is this: my son has his eye on this girl, and he wants to give her a ring for valentines day. it isnt a fancy ring, but none the less, i think a ring means something.
    i think he should establish a dating relationship, or boyfriend girlfriend first... then use a ring to seal the deal. what is the concensus on this? am i nuts?
    he tells me that things arent that way any mnore. he says you can just give a ring to a friend as a gift. then i think... welll if you categorize it as a friendship ring.. you will never get the "relationship" status.
    kids...
    :confused:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

welll if you categorize it as a friendship ring.. you will never get the "relationship" status.
    i've gotten dating rings and friendship rings. you're right, just make sure he picks which ring he wants to give her first.

i think it's cute!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

you dont want to be a friend . . . that would be the death of any relationship that could follow. Been there, done that. Fugg Dat!
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

unless he does want to be "just a friend?"
        it's possible!

Comment

he wants to be more than a friend... he said so
          ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
            unless he does want to be "just a friend?"
            it's possible!
            ummm . . .

I dont know, he's 14. Tell him to save his money for a cool car or something!
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
              ummm . . .

I dont know, he's 14. Tell him to save his money for a cool car or something!
              AGREED!
              ERIK

Comment

well how much was the damn thing, like 5 bucks!?

Comment

ROTFLMAO!!!

The friendship ring is a great idea. I never gotten any of those until I was 20, but then it was a promise ring. There's really nothing wrong with it.
                  1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                  Glad to be back in California!

Comment

I got a ring when I was 16, termed a friendship ring. It turned into an engagement ring very shortly there after. I think it means more then hed like to admit.

To a girl, In my opinion, its serious. And if shes serious with him, that may be cool, but if shes not, hes just setting himself up for a letdown

but, hey, what do I know? Im way too old to understand such things...

Tam
                    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                      ... if shes serious with him, that may be cool, but if shes not, hes just setting himself up for a letdown
                      Well said Tam. Here's the thing, yes you can buy a ring for your girlfriend and have it be a cool, non-engaugement type of thing. I've done it... (well, o.k., don't use me as an example. )... I think women appreciate something like that more than flowers or candy or anything that will be gone in a few weeks. The important thing is to have a basis for giving a gift such as that. If there's some sort of relationship going on, even fairly short term, I'd say go for it. If not, tell him to ask her out to a movie or something... get this thing started!!! then... when there's something to base it on... buy the ring.

(edit)my post count matches my gear ratio... yippeeeee!!!:yay: (/edit)
                      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Tell him to ask her out first.And makes sure that she is interested.If he gives here the ring now and she isnt into him that's going to suck.He needs to become friends with the girl than as they get to know each other give her the ring.But hey, if he knows she likes him too than go ahead and give her the ring.A friendship ring?I always thought a promise ring was something between father and daughter?Seams to be very popular gift for christmas for teenage girls. Valintines......hmmm, me and my girl friend are going ice skating.

Comment

Take Sully's advice...he's closer in age and things change over the years.

I think it's cool he's not ducking and running like someone I am no longer with.

Comment

Wow. Am I excited to have kids or what?

Seriously, a ring means something. I've always taken it to mean something more than friendship. I'd discourage him, but if he's dead set on it then maybe it'll work for him.
                            I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                            1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

save it and buy lunch . . . waayyyyyy more rewarding
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                              X