Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Manifold/Engine cooking recipes here!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick and I are wondering how long it would take to cook a "no-boil" lasagna dish. Provided the meat is already brown that is. We might try it for our next long drive.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
      I am going to try my enchilada recipe. There is no meat involved so the vegetarians in the group are welcome to try some.
      Isn't vegetarian an Algonquin word meaning: lousy hunter?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeythefireman
        [B]I wonder how hot the engine compartment actually gets. I know the engine temp is easy to monitor, but I personally don't have a thermometer in my engine compartment. Someone needs to wire up an electronic thermometer to monitor the temp so we can verify the safety of this cooking method.
        I have a digital thermometer with a bunch of thermocouples I used to do some data collection on a truck I used to have. I don't recall the underhood temps I achieved (air intake temp would spike well over 200* though). Most new vehicles have thermostats that regulate engine temps about 200 - 210*, with the fan pulling air through the radiator, you will have ~195 - 205* air blowing over the top left side engine, and 180 - 195 on the lower right--assuming the thermostat is fully open). Then add in the radiant heat from the exhaust manifold. I don't think it would be too much trouble to get food temps well above FDA required minimums to take care of the bacteria problem.

But I also think it would be much simpler to cook at home (where I have access to add spices, stir, and have better control over the cooking process, etc), and then simply re-heat via the engines waste heat. For some reason I don't see it being well accepted when, for the 12th time in an hour, you come over the radio and say "hang on a second, I have to stop and stir the chili".
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
          But I also think it would be much simpler to cook at home (where I have access to add spices, stir, and have better control over the cooking process, etc), and then simply re-heat via the engines waste heat. For some reason I don't see it being well accepted when, for the 12th time in an hour, you come over the radio and say "hang on a second, I have to stop and stir the chili".
          I think I am into the reheatables too. Hot dogs are good. Homemade burritos and enchiladas. Anything that can take care of itself while you have fun driving. I think if you work it right you could steam some veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
            I have a digital thermometer with a bunch of thermocouples I used to do some data collection on a truck I used to have. I don't recall the underhood temps I achieved (air intake temp would spike well over 200* though). Most new vehicles have thermostats that regulate engine temps about 200 - 210*, with the fan pulling air through the radiator, you will have ~195 - 205* air blowing over the top left side engine, and 180 - 195 on the lower right--assuming the thermostat is fully open). Then add in the radiant heat from the exhaust manifold. I don't think it would be too much trouble to get food temps well above FDA required minimums to take care of the bacteria problem.

Thats just tooo funny! My chili takes two days to cook. Thats a lot of driving!!
            97tj Sport Soft Top - Chili Pepper Red - 5spd - d30-35-unlocked-@3:07
            31"BFG-MT's - GMRS,CB - tow Hooks - Hi LIft - Trail Scars

Comment

Working...
            X