Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend got bit by a rattler yesterday.

Hey people I don't post here much.

Long story longer.

A friend of a friend had his car stolen. The theif drove it out into the hills North of Calico. He got it stuck and he got disoriented.

Theif called 911 and the cops came and picked him up with the helicopter. Cops got the GPS cordinates to where the car was stuck and gave them to the rightfull owner.

5 of us went out there yesterday in 2 cars. My stock TJ, a 4x4 Dodge Dakota and my GPS.

We found the stuck car. We still do not know how it was driven to where it got stuck. We both used 4x4 to get to it. Another friend reached under the car to hook up a chain and got bit!

We threw him into my Jeep and I drove till I got cell signal. I called 911 and told them what was going on. The helicopter was not available so they asked me to get him to Ft. Irwin rd.

We met the Ambulance there and they took him to the hospital in Barstow.

We spent 5 hrs there and he didn't have any major effects so they released him. Snake was not a Mojave green. I think it was a Diamondback.

We decided to go back and get the car.

When we got back to it the snake was out from under it so we took pics. Didn't kill him.

He was just enjoying a nice day out there when a big hand came under the car and scared him. LOL

Anyway we spent 5 hrs getting the car unstuck and trying to find an easy way to get it out with the least amount of damage.

It's been 15 yrs since I was out in that area and didn't know that the sqeeze in Odessa is completly washed out! We had to back track and go out the long way. Pulled the car up hills with my TJ that it could not drive up.

Wow, that is a crazy story. Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad your friend is OK!
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Glad your friend was ok. Just wondering how come the insurance was paying for recovery of the vehicle?? And now I'm curious to see just how washed out Odessa is....

Comment

holy cow.......what a day
        Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
          Glad your friend was ok. Just wondering how come the insurance was paying for recovery of the vehicle?? And now I'm curious to see just how washed out Odessa is....
          I'm sure that he does not have full coverage insurance on a 15 yr old Towncar plus no way for a tow truck to get out there.

The rut in Odessa canyon was atleast 4ft wide x 4 ft deep where the squeeze is.

Comment

Did the hospital decide that the snake didn't release any venom when he struck? Crazy recovery story for sure! Hows the Scout running? (if you still have it?) BTW, It's JJ from the LOST KJ group. Long time no see, Hows things?

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodOil.com View Post
              Did the hospital decide that the snake didn't release any venom when he struck? Crazy recovery story for sure! Hows the Scout running? (if you still have it?) BTW, It's JJ from the LOST KJ group. Long time no see, Hows things?
              His finger and arm did get sore and he's not feelimg 100%. I saw the 2 holes in his finger so he did get bit.
              I sold my Scout. I got involved with the Antique truck guys and started restoring an old Peterbilt. Now with $5 a gallon fuel it's been parked.

I met a girl and she likes to go out exploring in the Jeep so I got back into that a little bit. Hothing too hard core with a stock TJ Though. Last night in Odessa canyon was pretty gnarley in a stocker LOL
              Last edited by chris142; 08-03-08, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Update: He just came here and got his bike he left here yesterday. The rubber snake worked great!

Comment

Your freind is lucky. Rattlers won't always release a full load of venom because it takes a lot of energy to make more. He probably decided to hang on to most of it for a smaller hand he could eat! Glad he's ok. That's a great fire side story for another time. Glad it all worked out for the most part.
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

In about 80-85% of bites, the snake will not inject venom. They do not inject venom as self defense, only to incapacitate its food. The venom does a LOT of damage to the hands, good thing he's ok.

Comment

Chris,

I'm glad to hear that your friend will be OK. That should be a reminder to watch where we put our hands when in snake country. If that Towncar had 33's and a 4" lift it would have made that rock pile and would be gone for sure.

Comment

"There's a reason for everything"... just got confusing.
                        Glad to hear everything worked out.
                        Best, Max7
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                          "There's a reason for everything".
                          Yup. We will never know what might have happened if this had not happened.

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
                            Update: He just came here and got his bike he left here yesterday. The rubber snake worked great!

You didn't really wrap a rubber snake around his handle bars did you?? Karma dude! Be watchful
                            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                            MJR moderator
                            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

Glad to hear your buddy is alright . . . I've seen pics of a rattlesnake bitten arm . . . not a pretty sight at all . . . odds or not, he's lucky in my book.

You should try to sell this pic to the CarFacts marketing guys that have the commericals with the burnt (this car is HOT) or flooded (new interior) ads.

For Sale: This town car is ROCKIN'
                              That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                              X