Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that dog, round #2

Ok, here is the deal. Ever since my house was being built, I have been wanting a jeep dog. Well, as luck would have it, today I came across a black lab / pit bull mix, that happens to fit the bill of what I was looking for. But I am torn on the name that they gave her.

"Cherokee"

Well, it is a jeep dog, and "wrangler" doesn't sound too good for a dog's name....

Should I keep the name the rescue / adoption agency gave her, of should I ditch it?
    yes
    50.00%
    no
    50.00%
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Last edited by goodtimes; 12-07-03, 03:00 PM.

KG6OWO

Comment

Well, I got to ask you this. How old is the dog? I would say if the dog is comfortable with Cherokee then I would keep it. Just my opinion. Have you thought of other names?
      1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
      Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Well, for one, Cherokee are people as well as Jeeps. That being said, a Lab/Pitbull is going to be a broad, powerfully built dog who is able to bull over/through most obstacles, and should also be very loyal. With these characteristics in mind I nominate Kaiser. It sounds much better than M715 or J10, doesn't it
        It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
        and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

My dog's name is TJ, well actually he is a 160 lb wolf. Way before I had a jeep.
          Short for "Tye Junior". Dogs need short names.

Comment

I'd say it depends on what the dog thinks of the name. It can be tough to rename a dog. If he doesn't recognize cherokee or barely, then change it to the name you like.
            I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
            1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

I agree with the keep it crowd. If the animal is used to the name don't change it. It will confuse her. There could be behaviour issues then. How would you like it if someone changed your name to Steve? You would never answer...or take a while to learn to. I remember when a boyfriend who hated my first name started using my middle name. I never responded to him.

Comment

Well, the dog is ~4 months old, and doesn't listen to me anyway, no matter what I call her. The only thing I don't like is how long the name is (although I keep thinking about just calling her XJ...but it doesn't roll off the tounge like TJ does)

After yesterdays jeep ride along the mexican border, I am on the search for a indian word that means "white toed dirt eater" (I think my dog might be "not all there" if you know what I mean--hahaha)

KG6OWO

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that an indian name for WhIte ToEd DIrt Eater might be... WITEDIE. of course I could be wrong.:confused: anyway, nice dog, looks like a Cherokee to me.:yay:
                  myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

On the subject of Jeep dogs, someone on another board brought up a scary thought.

He rolled his Jeep 3 weeks ago while out cutting wood in a pasture. His dogs were following the Jeep home.

He said if the dogs had been in the Jeep, they might have been injured or killed. He said his was a slow roll too and that one of the dogs could have ended up under the rollbar.

We strap ourselves in. We strap the kids in and give them special seats while they are little. We even strap the cooler in. Why are we not strapping the dogs in? Dog seatbelts do exist.

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
                      We strap ourselves in. We strap the kids in and give them special seats while they are little. We even strap the cooler in. Why are we not strapping the dogs in? Dog seatbelts do exist.
                      Yes they do, although I am not 100% sure of the effectiveness of them yet. I have not decided how to handle that issue yet. Most likely I will have a bystander hang on to Cherokee when I am going over any obsticals. I have also not decided on the door vs no door issue when the dog is with me. I am leaning towards a modified tube door for her side.

KG6OWO

Comment

jill loves it when the doors are off. i think your dog will be just fine! we just leash her to the rollbar, in case we take a turn that she's not expecting and flies out the door. good stuff!
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I have a 4 year old yellow lab that almost always goes wheeling with me. He stays in the Jeep with me on the flat areas, but on technical areas he's outside waiting for me to get done.

I honestly never gave a "dog seatbelt" much thought. My dog suffers from seperation anxiety so the main reason i toss him outside on technical areas is because he's always trying to put his head in my lap while he's in the Jeep. On technical areas this becomes a distraction to me.

I'll have to look into a "dog seatbelt" for the Jeep, he's my best buddy and i want him safe!

As far as cool dog names:

Flop
                          Spotter
                          TJ, CJ, YJ, XJ
                          Detroit
                          Wheeler (my wife demands credit for this if you pick it)
                          Fairlead
                          U-joint
                          TrueTrak

i could go on and one......hehehe
                          [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                          AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                          15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                          33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                          FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                          Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                          RE Hand Throttle
                          Optima Red Top
                          K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

there is something called a "mutt sling" or something made by someone on one of the other boards. I don't have time to do a search right now... still at work...
                            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

It's
                              http://www.buckleuppup.com

SUMMARY: The Buckle-Up-Pup Harness System features the unique combination of a chest and rear harness. The "V" tie-down clips the harness to a seat belt or to an anchor point* below the dog's belly. This allows the dog to move freely around this central point, without getting tangled in the straps. The dog can stand, sit, lie down and turn around, but can not jump out or be thrown from the vehicle.
                              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X