Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest MJR HAM's

Even though it doesn't feel like it (still can't talk yet) Rick and I both aced our HAM Technician tests this past Saturday. Can't wait to find ya'll on the air

Big thanks to the Victor Valley Amateur Radio Club for getting us through everything we needed to know!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Congrats to both of you!
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Congrats! The test results should be processed and your new callsigns should show up on the FCC website on Thursday (provided the mail doesn't get delayed by blizzards back east).
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

Congratulations on your new tickets! What radios are you going to run mobile?

Comment

Yahoo!! Congratulations Rick & Sarah. Welcome to Ham Radio! Be talkin' to you soon!

(BTW everyone - they both passed with 100% - but you all know they are both very smart)
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Congrats you guys!
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone! We have a Yaesu VX-6 so far... and will get more stuff in time.

Russ, that's tomorrow! I checked the database today but nothing yet. I better get the handheld charged up!
                :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Congrat's guys! Did you also take the next level?
                  Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Congrats!

de AB6YA
                    -- Warren
                    1999 SE

Comment

Two more here... Materdaddy & Matermomma are new licensed amateurs. We should be in the ULS database by next Friday!

Any suggestions on radios? Probably handheld/mobile to start. Preferably mobile, dual band with cross-repeat and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
                      Last edited by Materdaddy; 03-08-10, 10:31 AM. Reason: grammar
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Congratulations!!!! I recommend starting with a mobile radio. Get with some of the local hams in your area and have them demostrate their radios to you. Make sure the softeware is compatable with your operating system.
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                          Two more here... Materdaddy & Matermomma are new licensed amateurs. We should be in the ULS database by next Friday!

Any suggestions on radios? Probably handheld/mobile to start. Preferably mobile, dual band with cross-repeat and don't cost an arm and a leg.
                          Congratulations Mat and Tiff!!! When I got my license, I bought a Yaesu FT-8800, a dual band mobile with cross band repeat. With a dual band antenna, it came to just under $500. I programmed the transceiver memory by hand until I felt comfortable with the programming buttons, and then I bought a cable and downloaded the FTB programming software from the internet. I confess that I've had this radio for two years, but have yet to use the cross band repeat function.

My first antenna was a Comet, but it quickly broke when I snagged it on some tree branches, so I don't recommend it for off-roading. I'm now using a Larsen antenna. I lost the first whip on my Larsen when it snagged on trees, so now I make sure that the set screws for the whip are on TIGHT!

I recently bought a Yaesu FT-60, a dual band hand held. I also got an extra battery pack, 12v adapter, and mag mount antenna, so the total came to around $300. I chose that hand held because it is capable of 5 watt output unlike some others which are more compact but have less output.

I recommend you look at the equipment reviews at eHam.net
                          http://www.eham.net
                          If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                          KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                            Congratulations!!!! I recommend starting with a mobile radio. Get with some of the local hams in your area and have them demostrate their radios to you. Make sure the softeware is compatable with your operating system.
                            Thanks, I have a neighbor who has tons of equipment. Before learning about frequency bands, modulation types, etc. whenever he spoke it was greek. I'll definitely be chatting him up about his equipment. The reason I wanted input from Jeepers is because he drives an F250, and doesn't offroad. That means he's got tons of room (compared to a Jeep), and also never deals with the type of dust and abuse my radio will probably see.

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                            Congratulations Mat and Tiff!!! When I got my license, I bought a Yaesu FT-8800, a dual band mobile with cross band repeat. With a dual band antenna, it came to just under $500. I programmed the transceiver memory by hand until I felt comfortable with the programming buttons, and then I bought a cable and downloaded the FTB programming software from the internet. I confess that I've had this radio for two years, but have yet to use the cross band repeat function.

My first antenna was a Comet, but it quickly broke when I snagged it on some tree branches, so I don't recommend it for off-roading. I'm now using a Larsen antenna. I lost the first whip on my Larsen when it snagged on trees, so now I make sure that the set screws for the whip are on TIGHT!

I recently bought a Yaesu FT-60, a dual band hand held. I also got an extra battery pack, 12v adapter, and mag mount antenna, so the total came to around $300. I chose that hand held because it is capable of 5 watt output unlike some others which are more compact but have less output.

I recommend you look at the equipment reviews at eHam.net
                            http://www.eham.net
                            The FT-8800R looks very tempting. That's my leading choice as of right now. So you said you've never used the cross repeat? Never park the Jeep somewhere, hike to a canyon and have the radio be your own repeater? If it ends up being that uncommon of a use, maybe I should go with the FT-7900R (looks like the 7800 was discontinued in favor of the 7900)?

I also like the idea of hand held, and $300 doesn't seem too bad for a dual band setup, although I have a feeling most of the time I'll use the mobile to contact repeaters on the echolink system so Tiffany can communicate with me from a computer at home!

I also appreciate the advice on the antennae. I've seen a lot of posts about mag-mount antennas, but it seems that's not too much of an option for a Jeep. I have a CB mount on my rear door (it uses the stock tire carrier bolts) that will soon be a double antenna mount for CB and Ham, so I'll need to look up antennas.

Are you using 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave antennas? I've read conflicting reports on both as for mobile use. It seems the 5/8 needs a bigger ground plane to operate properly, but a Jeep should be a big enough of a ground plane for that, right?
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I have the FT-8900. Its quad-band. I am only using it in my Jeep now, so only for 2m and 440. I have used it for crossband repeat. I volunteer for a SAR team, and have set it up to act as a repeater when we were in tough area. Very handy to know you can reach it with a HT, and get out with 50w! If you are in an area with sketchy repeater coverage, you can have it running in your truck, and use your HT around the house!

Comment

Working...
                              X