Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, hmmm....

.....what two meter repeater would be usable from Lucerne Valley which is also into the LA/OC areas?
    John & Kristi

Comment

What about this one?

147.120 POS p/l 91.5 WA6EFW (open)

I can hit this from Huntington Beach.....
      John & Kristi

Comment

Originally posted by Nipple Twister View Post

John,
        Hmmm... This is interesting, I have it as a different PL and I can access it. We can give it a try Monday night between 5:00 & 5:45. I never hear anyone on it. I think you have my cell number, so if you try to reach me on this repeater and I don't answer, give me a call on my cell.

As far as establishing a MJR net. I support it but, you really can't plan it on me being able to access a repeater that the majority of the MJR hams can hit. I'm just too far on the fringe. It's not fair to the rest of the guys & gals. That's sort of an unintended [COLOR=black]consequence[/COLOR] of living rural.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Nipple Twister View Post

John,

There are two repeaters using 147.120
          1) WA6EFW is located in Victorville. It uses PL 91.5
          2) WA6NRB is located on Verdugo Mountain near Glendale. It uses no PL tone.

Since the Glendale repeater uses no PL tone, it will respond regardless of the PL tone setting. I wonder that's the one you are reaching from Huntington Beach.
          If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
          KI6MLU

Comment

I understand your point ....

...about trying to accommodating you but you have more then earned it for us to as least make the attempt, maybe we can develop a kinda "round robbin" as to who runs net control that way it develops a more well tested network and a great learning expereance for us all and our recently ticketed hams.

I hear what your saying Russ, I have heard it "ID" itself and it said :shout:"WA6EFW Victorville". Not to say the Glendale machine didn't ID and I just missed it.

Great thoughts fellows......
            John & Kristi

Comment

Hmmm, funny thing....

.....just tried to hit either machine and nothing.........
              John & Kristi

Comment

OAUSA Net

Instead of setting up a new net, we should join the Outdoor Adventure USA net. They discuss topics that are of interest to the offroad community. It meets on the Keller Peak repeater each Thursday night at 7:30 pm Pacific time and with Echolink, there are hams that connect to it from all over the state and sometimes from out-of-state, too.

http://www.oausa.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1355
                If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                  Instead of setting up a new net, we should join the Outdoor Adventure USA net. They discuss topics that are of interest to the offroad community. It meets on the Keller Peak repeater each Thursday night at 7:30 pm Pacific time and with Echolink, there are hams that connect to it from all over the state and sometimes from out-of-state, too.

Not a bad idea. I check in when there is a interesting topic. I'm on right now actually monitoring right now despite my lack of interest in "Cowboy Action Shooting". Next weeks topic is "Best Off-Road Mods".
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Ok yeah.........

.....sounds like a great idea! I checked in with them last night as well and as much of a firearms nut that I am Cowboy Action Shooting is not really my thing either but it was interesting none the less. I do some bench loading for a couple of guys that shoot that, real light loads.
                    Anyway, they do a roll call to start things off and then ask for any skipped, missed, or guests and then go into the topic of discussion. For now we can check in and announce somehow if your a MJRer. As things go we can find a way to have MJR messeges/topics of discussions.
                    :shout:So, should we announce next week to be the first official MJR check-in net??????????:dunno:
                    John & Kristi

Comment

Maybe before planning out own net topics we should head over to OAUSA and let them know that a group of us MJR'ers are going to be checking in. They have a thread just for net topic suggestions. And even as big as MJR is I imagine that and average night for us on their net would be 4-5 checkins. Every night is not really a winner but they do a good job. A few weeks ago that had a guest speaker who was an expert on GPS technologies. He had some amazing insight on the future of GPS.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Just use as a tester....

....especially for those newly ticketed MJRer's I was suggesting just checking in during the OAUSA net along with a quick tag that we are MJR Jeepers. Listen in and see how many check in, and go from there. I do not wanna impose on the OAUSA net in any way.
                        John & Kristi

Comment

I'm in the database and can finally play. May need some help beforehand with a test transmission
                          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post

I heard Russ check in last night.

I joined the OAUSA forum and I have checked in the last 4 weeks.

I like the fact that I am getting a chance to learn how to use my radio.

I don't like the way they do check in. It takes over 1/2 hour. There must be a better way?

2 of the 4 weeks the guest speakers did not check in and the subject got changed.

The net on trailer camping was good.

One week the net topic was changed from outdoor cooking to favorite local trails. During check in many of the people admitted they don't venture outdoors, they don't camp, they don't have an offroad vehicle, etc. Why are they checking into an outdoor adventure net? Do they score brownie points in the ham community?

Last week the info on offroad lights was AWESOME.

This week the net subject was suppose to be outdoor medicine & first aid kits. The topic got changed to how to recognize pot farms & drug labs while offroading. I turned the radio off 10 minutes after the topic changed (40 minutes after the start of the net). The net moderator's radio was very scratchy, the subject was way out in left field and IMO the moderator's knowledge of the subject was weak and not well presented.

If we can figure out how to run an MJR net count me in.
                            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                              I heard Russ check in last night.

I joined the OAUSA forum and I have checked in the last 4 weeks.
                              I was going to listen in, but forgot and lost track of time. The wifey was feeling better, so we went on a walk. Turned it on late, just in time to hear that their guest speaker wasn't going to make it and they'd be changing the topic.

I don't like the way they do check in. It takes over 1/2 hour. There must be a better way?
                              Me neither. Not sure if there's a better way... maybe Sarah knows of a better way from her ham club's SAR presentation this week?

2 of the 4 weeks the guest speakers did not check in and the subject got changed.
                              Wow, I have only listened to a couple, yesterday being the first where the subject was changed due to an absentee.

The net on trailer camping was good.

One week the net topic was changed from outdoor cooking to favorite local trails. During check in many of the people admitted they don't venture outdoors, they don't camp, they don't have an offroad vehicle, etc. Why are they checking into an outdoor adventure net? Do they score brownie points in the ham community?
                              Ha, yeah, I listened to "vehicle essentials" a few weeks back, and most of the people who chimed in talked about having a 'first aid kit' and a 'flashlight'... seriously? Why check in and talk for 5 minutes if you're just going to agree with everybody else and say the same 2 items everybody has. I should have chimed in to talk for 5 minutes about how I always carry some form of spare tire in my vehicles even if it's thinner than the regular tire!

I get the feeling a lot of the ham community are people who just want to talk. I listen mostly, and rarely talk.

Last week the info on offroad lights was AWESOME.
                              Agreed. I listened to that net, and there was somebody who was VERY knowledgeable about lighting technology and was articulate, informed, and interesting to listen to. (Some of the other people, not very interesting to listen to).

This week the net subject was suppose to be outdoor medicine & first aid kits. The topic got changed to how to recognize pot farms & drug labs while offroading. I turned the radio off 10 minutes after the topic changed (40 minutes after the start of the net). The net moderator's radio was very scratchy, the subject was way out in left field and IMO the moderator's knowledge of the subject was weak and not well presented.
                              I turned it off (reception on the HT in the house isn't that great) as soon as I heard the topic was changing.

If we can figure out how to run an MJR net count me in.
                              I'm in too! Not as net controller, but I'd actually check in to an MJR net!
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

A couple of thoughts,

A good way to check in is just to give you call sign & name, no one really cares about the temperature or weather at your house unless thre's a big storm going on! Or If you are sick or not

A good net controller will keep things moving. It takes time to be a good net controller.

Yes, lot of hams are lonely, disabled, or isolated and this is an important means of communication for them. Patience is definately needed.

As much As I would love to be in an MJR net, I'm too far on the fringe to access a repeater that the majority of you guys in the ie, la and oc can talk on. I would encourage you guys to really pursue this. It is the best way to learn good communication skills on the radio. Take turns being net control.

"Elmer" (as Sarah calls me)
                                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                                MJR moderator
                                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                                Jeep Patrol Leader
                                Reforestation Supervisor
                                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                                Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                                X