Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it sounds "elitist", but I always though the Code was a pretty good "filter" as far as weeding out the folks that were serious about the hobby. I know why we went away from the requirement - but the fact is we had way fewer "squirrel operators" (especially on UHF/VHF) when we had the 5wpm Novice requirement.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
      I'm also a VE. I also like code. I first got my Novice License when I was in 6th grade, and that was all we could use!
      That's two - I'm counting! 6th grade - wow! That's pretty neat.

Doug applied for the call sign with Dave. I'll send him a PM and see how it went.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
        I know it sounds "elitist", but I always though the Code was a pretty good "filter" as far as weeding out the folks that were serious about the hobby. I know why we went away from the requirement - but the fact is we had way fewer "squirrel operators" (especially on UHF/VHF) when we had the 5wpm Novice requirement.
        I tend to agree with this thinking. Besides lots of DXing is done using code, so if you want the full experience code is required. For the casual operator, or avid 4 wheeler or recreation enthusiast, I do not see any need for code.
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I tried CW _once_ from my FJ-40, back in the mid 80's. Worked Field Day from Mt Pinos, wasn't much fun. When my wife was pregnant with Andy, she couldn't even get into the FJ-40 (gestational diabetic, she looked/weighed as much as a 767), so I took the passenger seat out, put a sheet of 3/4" plywood down and ran HF, 2M FM/SSB, 220, 440 and 6M radios (no multi band stuff in those days, all matching Icom's)

Have zero interest in mobile HF anymore - it cured me.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY

Comment

One thing that might be helpful is an occasion "meet and Greet", similar to the one Doug hosted, for the purpose of helping new hams with the technical stuff. Once you get your license, then what? We lose a lot of new hams simply because all the support you see is for passing the test. After you get your license you need to be able to actually use it.

Maybe an occasional M&G to discuss different radios and which you should get. Why are more expensive radios worth the money (or are they)? Why do I need 4 bands on the trail?

What antenna do I need? Where and how do I mount an antenna on my Cherokee/Wrangler/CJ/etc.? Maybe even a build session to make a roll-up J-pole or other easy homebrew antenna.

How do I talk to these people in this weird new language?

Knowing the theory is nice. Being comfortable with the practical applications is what makes ham radio useful and even fun...

A little help past the steep part of the learning curve can cut down on a lot of frustration.

Dave_W6DPS

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS View Post
              One thing that might be helpful is an occasion "meet and Greet", similar to the one Doug hosted, for the purpose of helping new hams with the technical stuff. Once you get your license, then what? We lose a lot of new hams simply because all the support you see is for passing the test. After you get your license you need to be able to actually use it.

A little help past the steep part of the learning curve can cut down on a lot of frustration.

Dave_W6DPS
              Now that sounds like a good idea. I am still sorry I missed the first M&G. I wiped out all the programming on my handheld, and re-programming the repeaters is such a frustration for me that I have continued to put it off. A little sage advice goes a long way.
              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

LOL - why all of my current radios can be programmed from the computer. Hell, my RC transmitter programs from the computer
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

I like the M & G idea, I went to the first one and it was pretty good. It was kind of far away though. Since we are so spread out, we almost need to meet regionally.
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                    I like the M & G idea, I went to the first one and it was pretty good. It was kind of far away though. Since we are so spread out, we almost need to meet regionally.
                    I wouldn't mind coming to a M&G near Lucerne Valley.

Especially the same day as a rocket launch and scheduled for "after the wind comes up"...

Or even co-incident with a jeep run somewhere. Nothing like a real-life demonstration on the trail.

Dave_W6DPS

Comment

Bass Pro Shop seemed to be central. They have a meeting room upstairs and trails close by.
                      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Back in the day, when I was on my first Ham experience and lived in Louisiana, I had a generals license and we did some serious Dxing by Cw. One of the things I really liked was we had a group and we would do field days using weird antennas. I think we were trying to see who could out do each other, Bed springs, Ladders, an aluminum boat, RR track, we tried anything that was metal and was not tied down. It was a blast and we usually were doing it CW. I moved to CA and did not renew my license so I had to take the test all over last year when I ran into a group that was into Ham, I was expecting to have to do code, I kinda laughed when they said they did not have code test anymore for any level. WOW. So anyway I also liked the filter it gave the licensing structure. I notice a lot of guys just go in for the FM. Anyway I thought about moving up to general but have been a bit lazy. I do still enjoy dancing the key a bit and the best frequencies seem to be for the higher license.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post

Wadya mean "far away", it was only a few miles from my house. I just couldn't find it! Next time, everyone leave your cell phones on so that I can find you when I get lost. LOL!

Bass Pro works for me, only an hour or so from my neck of the woods. Less if traffic is good...except that I would have to take the 91, and traffic is NEVER good :-)
                          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS View Post
                            Amen to that. I fall directly into that category. Russ spent 5 minutes with me at Rubicon Springs and I learned a ton.
                            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
                              I happen to be a VE, so if there are other VEs on MJR perhaps we can arrange a testing session for our upcoming HAM friends. Just a thought.
                              I think that is a great idea....Matt
                              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                              X