Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you, MJR HAMS!!

Rick and I picked up a Yaesu VX-6 this weekend! We have already found a few repeaters and have listened a bit to what we could find.

Can't wait to get our licenses and start talking!

And some software to start programming...

A sincere thank you to everyone who helped us out at the HAM meet-n-greet, along with the threads here on the site full of information to get us going.

We are looking forward to improved communications on the trails! Wooohoo! Let the geekery begin...
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/yaesu_Te...supage=ADMSVX6

I have RT's software for both my VX-5 and Steph's VX-170, works great.

6TY
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Are there going to be study groups for the test?[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks, Fart!

Nick - nooo, they make an app for that

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
          http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/yaesu_Te...supage=ADMSVX6

I have RT's software for both my VX-5 and Steph's VX-170, works great.

6TY
          Woo Hoo! Rick and Sarah are on their way!

I'm using the same software as Old Fart. I highly recommend it
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Well now.........the HAMS are taking over. I happen to be a VE, so if there are other VEs on MJR perhaps we can arrange a testing session for our upcoming HAM friends. Just a thought.
            Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
              Nick - nooo, they make an app for that
              [COLOR="Sienna"]Damn Geeks... what ever happened to good ole fashioned flash cards and writing the answers on your wrist?[/COLOR]
              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks Roger!

Brian - that sounds awesome! We are currently looking for a testing site.

Nick - those were the good old days

Comment

In the good old days, y'all would be studying MORSE
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY
                  You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                    In the good old days, y'all would be studying MORSE
                    Actually, I am working on my code now. My HAM mentor is big on using code for QSOs, so I am trying to get proficient.....it is not easy. I'm glad I did not have to do the old style 20 WPM that was required for an Extra license years ago.

Comment

HAM Test Study Thoughts

I thought I would share with you the technique I used to study for the exams...it worked well for me.

Go to ARRL and download the complete exam pool for the exam you wish to take. Begin by reading each question, and then read ONLY the correct answer and highlight it. Do this for every question.

Begin taking practice tests online.

Re-read the question pool and correct answers only (especially your week subjects).

Take a few more practice tests until you are consistently getting 85%+ scores.

Take your license exam....you will pass!

Remember, if you are particularly weak on a subject area and having trouble memorizing the answers, you can skip it and make certain to do better on other parts of the exam. You only need to pass. You will learn good amatuer practice by getting on the air and working with others, not from the exam.

This works well for Tech & General license exams. The Extra exam requires a bit more study (it did for me).

I used hamtestonline and feel that it works very well, and really is not terribly expensive. No books or other study materials to buy.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
                        I thought I would share with you the technique I used to study for the exams...it worked well for me.

Go to ARRL and download the complete exam pool for the exam you wish to take. Begin by reading each question, and then read ONLY the correct answer and highlight it. Do this for every question.

Begin taking practice tests online.

Re-read the question pool and correct answers only (especially your week subjects).

Take a few more practice tests until you are consistently getting 85%+ scores.

Take your license exam....you will pass!

Remember, if you are particularly weak on a subject area and having trouble memorizing the answers, you can skip it and make certain to do better on other parts of the exam. You only need to pass. You will learn good amatuer practice by getting on the air and working with others, not from the exam.

This works well for Tech & General license exams. The Extra exam requires a bit more study (it did for me).

I used hamtestonline and feel that it works very well, and really is not terribly expensive. No books or other study materials to buy.

Hope this helps!
                        Thanks a bunch!

Comment

I studied the same way Brian did out of a book I got at Radio Shack. I just studied the right answers and highlighted them. I passed the novice, tech, & code test all in one day. Big Bear hams sponsored the testing.

Like old Fart said, back in the good old days I had to learn the code. Geeze I hated it and saw no use for it. I guess I still don't! I know there's lots of old die hards that love it. All can say is enjoy, but it's not for me!

OMG what have I started??
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

How's the application going for the club call sign?

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
                              Actually, I am working on my code now. My HAM mentor is big on using code for QSOs, so I am trying to get proficient.....it is not easy. I'm glad I did not have to do the old style 20 WPM that was required for an Extra license years ago.
                              I'm also a VE. I also like code. I first got my Novice License when I was in 6th grade, and that was all we could use!

Comment

Working...
                              X