Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about an overhead console type unit that you can build for about $12.00?

I took a piece of shelf bracket (you know the type) and measured it so that it would fit from each side of the roll bar. The bracket I used had 2 rows of 2 slots. I cut out the section between the slots so that I could get a large hose clamp thru it. It sounds kind of funny, but once you tighten the clamps, that bracket wont go anywhere.
    Now, simply mount your cb or ham rig to it. I have been using this setup for almost 2 years and have never tightened up the clamps. I have a Radio Shack CB unit on mine as well as my Yaesu FT2800 2 meter ham unit. I have used this with both my hardtop and soft top setup with no problems. The jeep club I'm in has several members that have used this setup. I'll post some photos so you can see how well it works. I'm also going to run 12 volts up to it as well so that I'll have an extra power source. I'm also thinking about adding another bracket, set up the same way, with a 1X3 board in between it. That will give me a shelf and making wire management easier.
    Tom
    KE7VMG

Comment

I dig home-made stuff. I would like to see your photos!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Im interested too. Post up some pics.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Here is a link to the pictures.
          I have taken my Yaesu radio off temporarily so that I can hook it up to the PC to program it for more repeaters.

http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy319/ke7vmg/

Let me know what you think.
          Tom
          KE7VMG

Comment

I like it. This might end up being my ham setup in a month or two. Thank you for the pics.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

You know, I posted a reply to this last night and it has mysteriously disappeared. Perhaps I hit Preview Post but never hit Submit Reply?

That looks pretty good; I like how it mounts the radio up close to the windshield where it's out of your face, yet still visible and accessible. My roll cage has plenty of tubes up there, so I'll most likely weld a couple of tabs on for mounting or something. Since I usually have the top down, I'll also have to make some kind of sun/ rain shield for it.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Thats where I went wrong with my CB install. No rain shield for the external speaker. My 2x2 radioshack external speaker made a world of differance, untill it got rained on...
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                  Thats where I went wrong with my CB install. No rain shield for the external speaker. My 2x2 radioshack external speaker made a world of differance, untill it got rained on...
                  That's a bummer.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                    The new rainsheild should take care of that!
                    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I like the installation. It looks like you used zip ties to attach the radio mounting bracket to the shelf bracket. Aren't you concerned about the zip ties getting brittle and breaking? I see you are in the desert and In my part of the desert the ties are good for about a year. Did you consider drilling holes in the bracket and bolting the radio bracket to it? Maybe you did, but I couldn't tell in the photos. Otherwise it gets two thumbs up! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        I like the installation. It looks like you used zip ties to attach the radio mounting bracket to the shelf bracket. Aren't you concerned about the zip ties getting brittle and breaking? I see you are in the desert and In my part of the desert the ties are good for about a year. Did you consider drilling holes in the bracket and bolting the radio bracket to it? Maybe you did, but I couldn't tell in the photos. Otherwise it gets two thumbs up! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up
                        The zips are used in addition to 2 small screws holding the bracket of the radio to the mount. Thanks for pointing that out. One good trail and zip ties would probably snap, especially in the desert where I live. I just used them for stability.
                        Thanks for the thumbs up.
                        I'm working on a power hookup also, so i'll provide pictures when that is complete.
                        73's.
                        Last edited by Tom KE7VMG; 09-16-09, 08:47 PM.
                        Tom
                        KE7VMG

Comment

please forgive me for the ignorance, but what is the problem with mounting it with some tek screws to the steel rail that is under the dash running side to side. I have mine mounted there. I have to also add that I have not been wheeling since I put it in. There may be some thing you guys can tell me that I am missing.

Comment

Working...
                          X