Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Mounting--Any Ideas?

I'm looking for the best place to mount my CB in my TJ. My CB is full-size: 7-1/4"Wide x 2-1/4"Tall x 10" Deep (including knobs).

Here are the basic criteria:
    • Readily Accessible (within reach of driver)
    • Face visible while driving
    • Mic wire not dangling in field of vision (don't want tickets)

I had initially been planning on mounting the CB in my roll cage "t-bars" or between my roll cage and my windshield frame. I figured when I'm on the road I could wind my mic cable around a tube. Thing is, if I put it up there, I'm gonna need some solar shielding, because I usually run top-down. The summer sun here in Anza will turn that CB into a griddle within 20 minutes, and I'm not exaggerating. I have also considered the center console, but it's so useful for all my little junk... I would appreciate any input anyone has.

Thanks
    holes = cowbell

i bolted mine to the side of the center console so it can still function as a crap catcher. passenger comfort be damned!
    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I put mine in the center of the t bars of my cage. imho its the perfect spot. Easy to reach but out of the way. Its away from the floor away from you kicking it or hitting it with your legs. Its outa sight for potential theifs Kind of hidde between the bars. The speaker is alot easier to hear while driving because it closer too my ear.With my model of cb the speaker is in the front and no auxillery speaker is needed. I mounted my mike mount on the winshield frame easy to reach and out of the way.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
          i bolted mine to the side of the center console so it can still function as a crap catcher. passenger comfort be damned!
          Mine is also onthe passenger side of the center console. It allows a good view fromt he driver's seat, and operation from the passenger's seat. This also makes it easier to route cables than from inside the console.

Dave_W6DPS

Comment

Mine is in the center console (Old MasterRac). Once you've installed a remote speaker, and routed the microphone out of the console - I've found that I rarely need to see it anyway - and it stays a lot cleaner.
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and photos. I'd have to say right now I'm leaning towards either between the roll cage t-bars or in the center console. After kicking around the center console mount, I've decided I like to hose down my rig too much. Then again, I could remove it and only install it when I need it. Oh--the indecision!!! :confused2

I'd rather think about problems like these than my real problems
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Mine is ratchet strapped to the TJ roll bar,.. out of the way. No lame mounts to shake loose and easy to take out if needed.

"Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

I think I still have a mounting plate from Rock it or whatever that place is (turbo city ) for a TJ it mounts up above the rear view mirror if I do its free if you want it remounted mine when I installed the cage

Comment

Attached to the roll bar in the center, above and behind our heads with two pipe clamps around the bracket that came with the CB.

Coax is routed through the roll bar padding. Mic is attached to the side of the CB.

Tam
                    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Wow, either you are very short, or you must be wear ing a safety helmet all the time! LOL. Just teasing. As a fairly tall person, I am somewhat envious of all these overhead mounts.

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
                      Mine is ratchet strapped to the TJ roll bar,.. out of the way. No lame mounts to shake loose and easy to take out if needed.

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I found mounting them overhead creates problems for the tall people, I mounted mine under the dasy on the passanger side, still leavs plenty of room for legs and for the seat to flip foreward.

Comment

I can imagine...fortunately for me, I'm not very tall
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post

Uhhh Mat - I'm thinking maybe that's not a good photo to post. With that 'thing' and all hanging below your radio....
                            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                            MJR moderator
                            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

reminds me of the good ol' days...
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...