Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so confused on which is the best & affordable GPS for off-roading. I'd want a topo map for sure... That's the only thing I know for sure.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

NUVI for off road

Vern. My NUVI 265WT accepted the SD Card with the Topo Maps on it and it even has a setting for off road. Although I didn't get it for that purpose I had hope it would do the job. It does to some degree . When I go to the Topo Maps it changes color and will show waypoints if downloaded on the SD Card from the mapsource program.
      I have my Garmin 172C for running the trails and I can add and delete waypoints as I go and it is twice the size and easier to look at.
      Last edited by TDS SD; 01-07-09, 05:33 PM. Reason: Change Info

Comment

I got the Garmin 750 from Costco...I love it and you can add the topo maps but im not sure they are worth the money.
        2005 Unlimited - 4.5 RE superflex - Rancho 9000's - 35 x 12.50 x 15 Geolanders - Riverside, Ca.

Comment

Not to steal this thread, but I got the Garmin Etrex Legend H it,s my first GPS any opinions?? and can I use it also as a road guide? say for city streets , I bought it online and should come today..Thanks
          "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

I have an etrex legend cx. It works great for me. It is a little hard putting waypoints in on the trail. I like to get everything loaded up before I go. Lots of expensive maps available. For offroading it does everything I need. I have a nuvi 350 that I use on the highway. The battery life on my etrex is great. I get about a day and a half of use when I am backpacking and turn it off at night. The ram mount for the dash and 12v hookup is next for me. I lost my mapsource discs and need to reinstall. I think I am going to have to buy the software again.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Hi Scott, yeah I don,t know anything about mine (YET) but Steve (Sar Jeeper) lives near me and is gonna put all the waypoints? or trails in it off the computer for the Mojove trip...then down the road I,m sure if I need to I,ll up grade,but again can I use it for to find city streets as well??Thanks
              "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                I have an etrex legend cx. It works great for me. It is a little hard putting waypoints in on the trail. I like to get everything loaded up before I go. Lots of expensive maps available. For offroading it does everything I need. I have a nuvi 350 that I use on the highway. The battery life on my etrex is great. I get about a day and a half of use when I am backpacking and turn it off at night. The ram mount for the dash and 12v hookup is next for me. I lost my mapsource discs and need to reinstall. I think I am going to have to buy the software again.
                If you have your registration code stuff, I have the CDs from when I bought it. Not sure if the codes on yours will work w/ mine, but they're 2008 CDs.
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                X