Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin nüvi® 750

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10625

Anyone familiar with this particular GPS Unit? Costco has it for $200. Looking for opinions!

Thanks
    -Bob
    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Are you looking to load topos on it or just use it for the street?

Comment

i have the 780 and love it. i think the only real difference is the fm transmitter vs. msn for traffic.
      the traffic information is fantastic as is the thing telling you where to turn. i swear by mine.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'd like the option of putting topo maps on whatever GPS unit I get.

Thanks for the input Erik...good to know!

Anyone heard of or dealt with Navigon GPS units?

For example: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...74790*&topnav=

As you can probably tell, I'm fairly new to these newer type GPS units! My current one is an old Garmin monochrome unit with a tiny +/- 1-1/2" to 2" screen.
        -Bob
        '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

none of the "Nuvi" units take topo maps. they are street only.
          ERIK

Comment

Topo Maps

I've loaded maps from Garmin Topo USA on a SD card and it worked in a 660. The 750 also has the ability to add maps using a SD card so I don't see why not.

Comment

I have been using a Nuvi 650 for about 6 months and I am extremely pleased with the overall performance of the unit.

I uploaded Garmin Topo maps one time and I will probably not do it again. The Nuvi mapset already contains over 80% of the trails in Big Bear and most of the main BLM trails. The autorouting feature does not work with the topo maps.

Many of the nuvi units do not have a trackback feature or route feature. For this reason I would not suggest the Nuvi's without these features as a stand alone unit for offroading.
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

garmin

For topo map use, there are of course other tried and true garmin units, and the folks who own those can give input. I own the Delorme PN20 and am happy with it. The topo maps are generally superior in my view to the Garmin, the unit is very well made, the screen is bright even in daylight, it gets great reception even in the trees and in canyons, it takes abuse well etc. The downsides- the battery life stinks (I don't care because I run it on a 12 volt line both in the Jeep and on my motorcycle), the screen is a little small. Hope that helps.

Comment

Magellan crossover gps

I just bought a refurbished magellan crossover 2500 for 100 bucks and am quite pleased with its features. I researched GPS units for some time and could not afford an expensive unit so this was a good option. The crossover unit does streets as well as off road and marine applications. It has the backtrack feature and basecamp and you can create waypoints at trail heads, you can see how fast you are going, elevation as well as your location. It does text to voice and the words are fairly clear as well as it does pictures, MP3 as well as all kinds of other stuff I wont mention.
                  For what we all do off road this is a great unit for the price in my opinion.....MATT
                  Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 12-09-08, 02:29 PM.
                  "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

heres a nuvi with topo maps

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13424#
                    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

i take that back. i guess some nuvi models do accept topo maps.
                      mine does not. (780)
                      ERIK

Comment

I like my garmin unit
                        as well as my Megellan Crossover unit, and I am glad the Garnins are offering a crossover unit now. The features of the topo maps leaving cookies is nice and sometimes we download these to the puter for reference, The street only units I have worked do not do this and I really like the feature.
                        Another item I like about the Garmins are the trip computers. My magellan does not have that feature.
                        Have Smackos, will travel

Comment

SD Cards

It has been a while since I down loade maps on a SD Card. Does the card have to be in the unit? I can't seem to get the maps to load directally onto the card from the computer. I don't want to screw things up as it is a Xmass present and I was to leave it in the box till then. The unit is a Garmin 265WT. Thanks for the help
                          George

Comment

Memory Cards

Called Garmin this morning. The SDHC Card I purchased will work but must be in the Garmin unit when downloading my Topo Maps.
                            Last edited by TDS SD; 12-12-08, 09:29 AM. Reason: More INfo.

Comment

Originally posted by TDS SD View Post
                              Called Garmin this morning. The SDHC Card I purchased will work but must be in the Garmin unit when downloading my Topo Maps.
                              G,
                              Back working again in Mx. Lets get another run in down there. I'm takin off the last week of Dec.

May chunk in some more of the Salada...
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Working...
                              X