Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good entry level DSLR?

I think I'd like to stick with either a Nikon or Canon. Not looking to spend $1k, but I guess somewhere around $500? Under would be nice, but I'm not sure that'll happen. Any suggestions?

We'll be using it for Jeepin, land speed racing and just getting out for a drive.

Thanks
    -Chris
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Buy a used Canon 20D, 30D or 40D (if you can a 40D for that price) and you will be pretty happy with the camera. The key is the lens, not so much the camera.

Historically, the Kit lenses that come with the Canon Rebel and 20D style cameras are barely adequate. Most good lenses cost over $1K each, so factor that into your thought process. I will say that the Tamron Dii series of lenses are pretty good and not too expensive.
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I am happy with my canon rebel XT.
      1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

I picked up a Canon 40D back in January and love it. Good solid feeling camera with a nice high frame rate of 6.5 frames a second for catching that action shot. Came with a very nice 17-85mm lense that incorporates Canon's image stabilising technology. Has a little gyroscope in it that stabilises the image in-lense. Good for a couple of f-stops and taking shots on the move or without a tripod. Recently bought a 70-300mm image stabilised zoom lense. OK for short to mid zoom but at maximum can struggle to focus quickly enough for fast motorsports shots. One of the really good things about this camera is its fantastic battery life. Will take a thousand shots without draining and doesn't lose charge whilst stored. Brilliant.

Comment

so, Chris... it has been a few months. what did you wind up with or did you change your mind for the time being?
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I have a Nikon D40. It is a very solid camera. I have had that thing in dust and mud and rain and no issues. Takes great pictures. Lots of flexibility and its fully auto mode is just as easy as a point and shoot. There are plenty of new and used lenses around. The 18-55mm lens it comes with is a great all around lens. At only $400-$500 its bang for the buck.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Sounds great Chris!
              I hope to have one of my own soon.
              Enjoy it and post up your pix!

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                I think I'd like to stick with either a Nikon or Canon. Not looking to spend $1k, but I guess somewhere around $500? Under would be nice, but I'm not sure that'll happen. Any suggestions?

We'll be using it for Jeepin, land speed racing and just getting out for a drive.

Thanks
                -Chris
                Olympus E500 is a nice unit. I have taken over 15000 pictures with the camera. I work with BSA and shoot wildlife...

Comment

picked up a Nikon D3000, with 8g memory card, spare battery, Nikon case, cleaner kit etc. for $520. Have been very happy with this camera so far, although I am already eager to try out new lenses
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Well its only been a year and a half, but I just made a deal on a Canon 50D. I'm just now getting to play with it a little, but I need to figure out how to get the neck strap on first. Silly thing.

What does everyone use to process their RAW files? I was looking at a product called LightZone last night, any opinions?
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I have been running a d300 The last 2 years
                      love the chip in it, plus it has a full titanium frame so it is solid as all get out
                      I stepped up from my old D70, which while being a good camera, was not as good as the cannons at the time
                      I think Nikon got behind Cannon in technology for quite a few years sticking to film format and not developing the digital as fast as they needed to but the field seems wide open with them both moving forward in leaps and bounds. What is trick this year is old hat next.
                      I still prefer Cannon in my point and shoot as they seem to offer more, but in 35 mm I think Nikon edges Cannon in the quality of the glass in the lenses.
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

Well its only been a year and a half, but I just made a deal on a Canon 50D. I'm just now getting to play with it a little, but I need to figure out how to get the neck strap on first. Silly thing.

What does everyone use to process their RAW files? I was looking at a product called LightZone last night, any opinions?
                        I use Sony and Adobe
                        there are a lot of software out there, I guess it is just a mater of what you want to do,
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

The 50D is a very nice unit. Mate to some good glass and you've got an excellent platform there. Most photogs use Lightroom, though many Mac guys use Aperture now that v3 has been released. I use Adobe Bridge that came with PhotoShop CS3. Another popular and vastly cheaper program to look at is ACDSee
                          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I know of a few people that swear by Bibble depending on what you're looking to do w/ your images. Very good for batch processing, touching up, not photoshop style... Photoshop is more for a graphic designer, Bibble is more for photographers.
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Congrats on the camera - I'd recommend Adobe Lightroom.
                              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X