Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R E 4.5 lift questions

I'm this close to buying the R.E. 4.5 lift kit with 3.5" springs. I have 1" body lift and mml and Jeep Medic Belly Up. Questions: Should I pay $80 extra for adjustable lower control arms front and rear? Bolt on or weld on rear shock relocators? I can turn a wrench, but I don"t weld. Kit includes a TW cv driveshaft, but should I upgrade that to a heavy duty? I'm also adding the adjustable rear track bar. I have a choice of OME shocks or FT monotubes at same price. Have i covered all the bases? Chime in with opinions/advice, I'd like to decide real soon.

Go for as much as you can afford. The adjustable track bars can help correct some of the geometry that a lift can alter. Heavy duty is always good.
    I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

C'mon, someone talk to me about adjustable lower control arms. Is the adjustability worth having, or is it just one more threaded part to strip out/rust/damage etc.?

Comment

I would say yes. You get to adjust caster and driveline angles. The higher you go the more important this is. With a CV drive shaft you will want to crank up the pinion to take the angle out of the U/J. BTW I have never regretted buying/fabricating anything stronger than I needed.
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

The adjustable control arms are better then stock. You don't just get the adjustability you also get the flex joint that will allow more articulation. The RE arms also take more abuse than stock arms.
          :wink:

Comment

It's not stock vs Adjustable, It's R.E. flex arms vs R.E. flex arms with adjustable length for $80 more. And I agree with buying the strongest/best that I can afford. The kit already includes adj upper cont arms, adj lowers are optional.

Comment

I have the RE 4.5" and do NOT have adjustable lowers. My pinion is dialed in very well, but I do have a slight bit of caster problem in the front. (So I guess the pinion isn't 100% dialed in. I'd rather have no driveline vibes than perfect caster though, the caster just causes my jeep to slightly wander). I don't see a need for lower adjustables. I also have the 4.5" springs still in mine, not the 3.5" so it's slightly taller.
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Matt, it sounds like you've made a lot of changes since I met you at IDTT! Can't wait to see how it all works. Sounds like I'm following in your footsteps here. I have the body lift so I figured the 3.5 lift would be enough, but still wonder if I shouldn't stick with the 4.5 springs. I'm leaning toward the adj. lowers just because $80 extra doesn't seem too bad.

Comment

what vehicel is this going in? you will need a SYE with that driveshaft. also Im pretty sure all of Toms woodys are "heavy duty"
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

It's an 05 Rubicon. The package from redrock4x4 has free ome or FT monotube shocks and free shipping. Driveshaft is for Rubicon and says it is a direct bolt in replacement. It says I need rear shock relocaters and adj rear track bar. I will probably order early next week unless someone convinces me it'a a mistake!

Comment

adjustable lowers will allow you to shift your axles slightly and further dial in caster (as Matt mentioned). I say get the weld on stuff. Get the HD driveshaft, see if they (tom woods) can clearance the cv for a few more degrees of angle. Try the FT monotubes, they're probably made by bilstien or edlebrock, both good companies. the OMEs are nice but don't last with any type of offroad abuse. :2:
                      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I did it! Order placed. Should have it in about 2 weeks. Got 3.5 springs, adj LCA's, adj RR track bar, FT monotubes, TW monotubes.

Comment

sweet.
                          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

you'll be happy RE makes great products
                            :wink:

Comment

Cool, don't forget to post pics! If you have other questions, post away!
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X