Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a 6inch+ lift

hey guys.. im kinda to new to the jeep scene... i really dont even own one right now... i'm offshore and I'm going to pick it up next week when i get in. It already has a small lift and 35" tires.

I'm looking to add at least a 6" suspension to it. I know I won't need it.... I like creek riding though... and I'de like to be able to stick at least a 39.5" tire under it. Is there anywhere I can find anything like this? I figured whiplast would offer one... but i didnt find anything on them when i just looked earlier.

I dont do much actual mudd riding... just crossing creeks and stuff like that.... your thinking "this is your first jeep" but i have had a couple other 4x4's in the past a toyota, a 83 model chevy, and a 97 tahoe.... now its my 05 chevy duellie 4x4... but its a street truck only
    80 cj5- under going sbc swap, dana 60 and 14 bolt sping overs
    86 cj7- stock.

have any more info on what you are getting? that might help people help you
    therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

so, you don't actually have a 82 CJ-5???
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

no i dont have it yet..... its mine when i get back in.... just not actually in my name yet. only reason i put it in my profile is it didnt want to take my application without it

its an 82 cj, 304 powered, 4 speed, etc. it already has a small lift on it... im just looking to go larger.
        86 cj7- stock.

Comment

let me get this straight...
          you are getting a CJ5, and you want to "lift" it to put 39.5" tires on it to cross streams?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
            let me get this straight...
            you are getting a CJ5, and you want to "lift" it to put 39.5" tires on it to cross streams?
            HAHAHAHAHA

In order for you to do what you want, its gonna take A LOT of work. Not to be mean, but its kinda one of those things... If you have to ask you probably shouldnt be doing it.
            |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I kinda afraid of that.... I have seen a couple cj5's with large tires on them...... the only thing i've noticed about them is that with large tires the bodies always look like they are sitting on top of the tires.

but 35's arent enough for my taste... its mostly for looks anyway.... i'm eventually gunna get a yj or xj for climbing and trails.....not much of that anywhere around here
              86 cj7- stock.

Comment

CJ5s are already so short wheel-based that it can't help but look like a set of tires with a seat on top when you go that big. If you are not Mud-Bogging, have you considered adding EFI and a snorkle?
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Install a spring over kit. If you notice the axle is attached on top of the springs. If you switch it all around the axle ends up underneath the springs.

It's inexpensive and you will easily get 6" of lift.

BUT it will come with all kinds of headaches. Driveshafts, steering, brake lines, bump stops and shocks to name a few.

Also, your brakes will be dangerously ineffective. Oh...and the c of g will be dangerously tippy.

All these issues can be solved...they just require time and money.
                  "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

thats kinda what i was expecting....but I can deal with that stuff.... thats in it all... drag racing for sure(what i've been into for years)

i'm sure i will eventually do all the upgrades.... I have 2 engine combos to go with....I have a 355ci SBC w/ bowtie heads.... should be good for 400hp....and I also have an ls1 engine(5.7ltr aluminum) w/ported heads and camshaft...should make around 450.. of coarse it would be efi

but as far as breaking stuff...i know thats part of it... only thing you can do is just buy the best when the shit you have breaks.... and it that breaks.... well your screwed.
                    86 cj7- stock.

Comment

you will also want to extend your wheel base by quite a lot for 40" tires.
                      100" would be nice, but not easy on a cj5.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                      X